Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer Mini Electronic B, improved dosing spot in basket
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Mini...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
henrikc

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Vivi
Grinder: Mazzer Mini B
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 3:49am
Subject: Mazzer Mini Electronic B, improved dosing spot in basket

Hi,
I am very happy with the performance of my new Mazzer Mini, however I find there is a slight design fault in respect to where the grounds hit the basket....
at least with my Izzo Vivi 58mm porta filter.
The contact that activates the grinder protrudes about 10mm and push the porta filter away from the center flow of ground coffee.
The result is that the beans flow over the back side of the filter at the end of the grinding session.

The remedy I suggest here is simple, alas not very artistic:

I took a 50 mm wide metalized self adhesive tape, and folded it back on itself, adhesive to adhesive, after cutting the end in a triangular shape.
Then cut the folded part off the reel, so I had a rectangular shape of tape sized 50x20 mm, with adhesive only exposed at the two top corners; cut the two bottom corners to shape, and folded it around the back side of the outlet port. No adhesive is now exposed, and the coffee flows nicely off the tape.

As the picture shows, the coffee now hits the basket near the center, and for exaggeration 16 g of beans are here ground into a 14 g basket, with a slight overflow on all sides...

Nothing spectacular, but for me much more functional.

Rgds
Henrik

henrikc: Mazzer mod 2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:03am
Subject: Re: Mazzer Mini Electronic B, improved dosing spot in basket

Try this, for a dosing portafilter ring and mods to the Mazzer

http://coffeetimex.wikidot.com/mazzer-mini-e-modifications

If you have no handy plastic bottles, use stiff glossy card, or even sheet plastic and a bit of tape.....no more mess on the counter, been using this mod for years as have all my friends.
dyno

Espresso: Salvatore The Club/Oscar
Grinder: K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 5:38pm

DavecUK Said:

Try this, for a dosing portafilter ring and mods to the Mazzer

http://coffeetimex.wikidot.com/mazzer-mini-e-modifications

If you have no handy plastic bottles, use stiff glossy card, or even sheet plastic and a bit of tape.....no more mess on the counter, been using this mod for years as have all my friends.

Posted February 12, 2013 link

Thanks for the great reference link. Hadn't seen that one.  Since apparently I have more money than brains, I've ordered one of these:
Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

Without WDT, pulling shots with a naked portafilter reveals some pretty severe channeling, invariably closest to the machine.  My Preciso requires no such fussiness but Mini E with SJ burrs does produce some pretty smooth espresso so I'm willing to pour good money after bad to optimize results.
DavecUK

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 7:46pm

Don't use Super Jolly burrs, they are made for the SJ not the mini. The bean feed is far too aggressive....I also happen to firmly believe the Mini E with genuine Mazzer burrs produces a better grind. A lot of places sell non genuine burrs and they don't work anywhere near as well.

Some more information for you to digest

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/mazzer-burrs
dyno

Espresso: Salvatore The Club/Oscar
Grinder: K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 9:57am

Many in North America have successfully installed the SJ burrs into the Mini E which runs a bit faster on our 60Hz AC (1600 RPM vs 1400 RPM at 50Hz).  No stalling issues and the resultant grind is moderately less clumpy.  As you indicate, the grind is quite a bit faster - I get 18g in about 10 seconds.

SJ burrs FTW.  Chris Coffee stocks OEM Mazzer burrs.
DavecUK

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 8:30pm

dyno Said:

Many in North America have successfully installed the SJ burrs into the Mini E which runs a bit faster on our 60Hz AC (1600 RPM vs 1400 RPM at 50Hz).  No stalling issues and the resultant grind is moderately less clumpy.  As you indicate, the grind is quite a bit faster - I get 18g in about 10 seconds.

SJ burrs FTW.  Chris Coffee stocks OEM Mazzer burrs.

Posted February 13, 2013 link

Sure, but it doesn't grind as well in the tests I did...perhaps not relevant, perhaps I didn't test right and yes I am aware CC sells Genuine Burrs?

I have a spare genuine set and its suprising the number of times I see knock off Burrs being sold, people bring them to me and we compare them...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Mini...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235314846039)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+