Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
preciso woes
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > preciso woes  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 3:29pm
Subject: Re: preciso woes

pilot25 Said:

Years??  How about 3 months then switch it out for the ever better updated grinder then another 3 months....  $100 / month of use is a pretty expensive grinder.  Thankfully Baratza knows how crappy it is and attempts to make things right.  I feel for them.  This is a company of very few individuals trying to make it big but you can't make crap and expect people to not demand satisfaction.  How many of these things have they swapped out?  If it more than 10% than it's a disaster.  Unfortunately its not quality control.  Its just design.

All I hear are posts of people getting and loving it after one pour.  Well, me too.  Then the many rings of plastic go to hell in just a few months.

As the one poster stated, "keep lots of extra parts on hand."  You are going to need them.

Clearly you need to spend more than $300 if you want a consistant espresso pour.  The constant woes expressed on all the coffee forums regarding this grinder indicates as much.  There isn't another grinder that people complain about more.

Posted February 4, 2013 link

View Profile Link to this post
dspear99ca

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 1:48pm

I think maybe Baratza is trying to do the nearly impossible with the Preciso:  a grind quality comparable to the Vario, speed of grinding which BEATS the Vario, for $300 vs. the $450 Vario.  Something's gotta' give, the only way to turn a $450 grinder into a $300 grinder is to use cheaper parts.  They are using the market to determine how cheap they can go rather than a testing lab, but rather than leaving customers high and dry they have OUTSTANDING customer service.  There ain't no such thing as a free lunch, folks... never has been, never will be.

For many years I worked in IT, and maintained hardware and software in various corporate data centers.  Do you know how many businesses put business-critical applications on brand-new models of hardware?  Or how many install the latest cutting-edge software onto production equipment?  No smart ones.  They all wait to make sure all the bugs get ironed out, second and later generation stuff.  If you buy ANYTHING that's first-generation you should go into it with your eyes open knowing that there will almost certainly be shortcomings.  My hat is off to Baratza for supporting their customers as well as they do... their model is a cost-effective way to get innovative new (and yes, cost-effective) products into the marketplace.  Personally I am happy to suffer for a couple of days if my grinder dies while I wait for a brand new, upgraded technology one from Baratza.
jalanc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 3:50am

Hi guys,  I'm currently trying to decide on a new grinder, and the Preciso is on the short list(along with the Vario and the Macap M4).  To be used for espresso 95% of the time.  SO after reading the last 2 pages, now seriously re thinking my planned purchase of Preciso.  Should I switch to the Vario instead?
dspear99ca

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 7:14am

jalanc Said:

Hi guys,  I'm currently trying to decide on a new grinder, and the Preciso is on the short list(along with the Vario and the Macap M4).  To be used for espresso 95% of the time.  SO after reading the last 2 pages, now seriously re thinking my planned purchase of Preciso.  Should I switch to the Vario instead?

Posted February 7, 2013 link

The short answer is: you get what you pay for. If you can afford it, the Vario is a better grinder
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 7:49am

I love my M4s.  They're extremely well built and produce an excellent grind.  Hard to compare to the Vario though, since I've never used one.  However, I've read some interesting posts from people whom I have a great deal of respect for, saying they prefer their Vario over a Mazzer Mini (which is on par with the Macap M4).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 10:34am

Another consideration.  I use the Preciso and leave it basically set for espresso, with very minor tweaks for age of beans, and occasionally change of beans.  I am happy with it.  I also live in continental US, so very easy to deal with Baratza directly.  I see that you are in Manila.  Shipping turnaround is a bit longer.  I would get the Vario if budget allows.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:30am

I bought the Preciso after reading Mark Princes review and Ive been happy. If it breaks I will buy the Vario. I dont think its a bad grinder  nor do I believe it has inherit weaknesses that make it
prone to breaking. Give it time to prove itself before rushing to judgment,time will tell.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
bwcasolo

Espresso: ranchilio silvia
Grinder: baratza preciso
Drip: krups
Roaster: behmor1600
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 12:15pm

both preciso's are going back and upgrading for a vario.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 1:46pm

bwcasolo Said:

both preciso's are going back and upgrading for a vario.

Posted February 10, 2013 link

Most of us have not not had the apparent issues as those posting here.
I believe the fact that you are moving to Vario speaks to your fairness regarding your issues.
As a 10 year + CG member, I've always had a bit of an issue with "complaint" postings, rather than posting on an established thread like the "owner's thread."
That thread has both positive and negative comments, with helpful tips.

That said,\bringing in a grinder at $299 with the feature set and home friendliness of the Preciso will, out of necessity mean that some parts won't be as "battleship-like" as a $800 Mazzer.
I decided I wanted grinders that wasted little if any coffee, were counter friendly, produced coffee grinds comparable to my former SJ, and was backed by excellent CS.
So far, other than replacing an adjustment ring, it's all been good.
Not being a manufacturer, but I'd have to guess that building the grinder to battleship specs would raise the price significantly, perhaps at least $200.
Far more professional "tasters" than I have posted most favorably about the grind quality being comparable to grinder costing much more. I can attest to the Vario's profile being eerily similar to the SJ.
As regards the Preciso, it is far from being a Vario as regards features, adjustability and as it is a conical burr grinder, a different flavor profile.
I really like what it does with espresso, and it may even exceed the Vario when it comes to the coarser grinds.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 1:57pm

Thankfully Baratza knows how crappy it is and attempts to make things right

I don't think that is a true statement. "Knows?" Rediculous.

All I hear are posts of people getting and loving it after one pour.  Well, me too.  Then the many rings of plastic go to hell in just a few months.

Again, that may be YOUR experience, or even several others, but the MAJORITY of owners have no such opinion, including myself.

Clearly you need to spend more than $300 if you want a consistant espresso pour.  The constant woes expressed on all the coffee forums indicates as much.  There isn't another grinder that people complain about more.

Consistent? Nothing you've posted refers to the quality of the pours, only your complaints about BUILD.
My pours from BOTH the Preciso and Vario provide more CONSISTENCY  than did my Mazzer SJ. Not better, per se, but more consistent.
Again, you throw out statements that have NO validity. As usual, folks with negative comments tend to post more often, and often with overly emotional statements unproven by fact. A thread called "Woes" is NATURALLY going to attract those with issues.

No gear is perfect, especially at the price-point Baratza is attempting to maintain.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > preciso woes  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.335693120956)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+