Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Compak K6 - thoughts, info. etc.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Compak K6 -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
scjavadr

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 7:26am
Subject: Compak K6 - thoughts, info. etc.

I've got a chance to get a Compak K6 for under $300.  From what I could find on this site and H-B site, it looks like this is a good grinder comparable to a Mazzer SJ.  It appears to be relatively tall and noisy.  I haven't seen a lot of mods for the grinder.

So I'm wondering whether anyone has experience with the K6 and what it's good and bad points are.  Is the noise really bad, or is it like a Mazzer?  This will be for home use.  I typically single dose, so I'm hoping it will be useful for that like I've read about SJs.  It's been in storage for a few years, and apparently, it's in good shape.  I figure if I need new burrs, that's par for the course.  Anything else that would help me decide if it's worth the deal I'm getting?

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
etout00

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3 MP
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 8:36am
Subject: Re: Compak K6 - thoughts, info. etc.

scjavadr Said:

I've got a chance to get a Compak K6 for under $300.  From what I could find on this site and H-B site, it looks like this is a good grinder comparable to a Mazzer SJ.  It appears to be relatively tall and noisy.  I haven't seen a lot of mods for the grinder.

So I'm wondering whether anyone has experience with the K6 and what it's good and bad points are.  Is the noise really bad, or is it like a Mazzer?  This will be for home use.  I typically single dose, so I'm hoping it will be useful for that like I've read about SJs.  It's been in storage for a few years, and apparently, it's in good shape.  I figure if I need new burrs, that's par for the course.  Anything else that would help me decide if it's worth the deal I'm getting?

Thanks.

Posted January 28, 2013 link

I owned a compak k6 for a little while. The quality of the grind is going to be comparable to a SJ, same burr size. I had the silencio version of the K6 which has rubber motor mounts and thought it was relatively quiet, similar to a baratza vario. Keep I mind that its rather large, I believe a little larger than the SJ...in fact the K6 and K10 share the same exact body. Its a good grinder and under $300 is a decent price.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: K-30 Vario,Pharos, Vario-W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 9:22pm

I can't actually compare it to anything, but I like my rebadged K6 quite well. clearing the grind chute after the grinder stops spinning is a bit of a pain but I guess that's typical of most grinders when you're grinding per dose. It doesn't seem particularly loud to me. The hopper opening is smaller than most. I don't use any funnel of any kind. I found a 1 1/2" PVC pipe plug, threads and all, drops into the top just right to cap it off.
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 73' Cremina, '74 Club,...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 9:37pm

You should find out if you're looking at the more modern (post 2000-something I think) steppless version.  The older stepped K6s are OK, but the newer ones have a much nicer burr carrier that's really good at single dosing, and just better in general.  I too have owned a Silencio version and it was great, one of my all time favorite grinders that I'm still a little sorry I let go of.  The dosers are better than Mazzer dosers when they're in good working order.  The internal mechanism isn't as sturdy as the Mazzer's, but nothing else is either.  

All things begin equal, I prefer a K6 to an SJ.  If I where to buy one again, I would be holding off for the "Pro Barista" version.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 9:48pm

russel Said:

You should find out if you're looking at the more modern (post 2000-something I think) steppless version.  The older stepped K6s are OK, but the newer ones have a much nicer burr carrier that's really good at single dosing, and just better in general.  I too have owned a Silencio version and it was great, one of my all time favorite grinders that I'm still a little sorry I let go of.  The dosers are better than Mazzer dosers when they're in good working order.  The internal mechanism isn't as sturdy as the Mazzer's, but nothing else is either.  

All things begin equal, I prefer a K6 to an SJ.  If I where to buy one again, I would be holding off for the "Pro Barista" version.

You've got me qurious now. I've got the stepless version, made in 2003, but the chute ends up full of grounds that I have to clear out and then bump it on again. How much was left in the chute on your K6?

Edit P.S. I've come to believe that the doser was replaced at some point with a slightly different model. It doesn't seem to fit up exactly right and might contribute to my grind retention.
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 73' Cremina, '74 Club,...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:33pm

CoffeeRon Said:

You've got me qurious now. I've got the stepless version, made in 2003, but the chute ends up full of grounds that I have to clear out and then bump it on again. How much was left in the chute on your K6?

Edit P.S. I've come to believe that the doser was replaced at some point with a slightly different model. It doesn't seem to fit up exactly right and might contribute to my grind retention.

The chute retention was there.  You can mod the rubber chute gastet to make the path a little bit more open.  I used an inverted silicone prep bowl to flush the chute with a pulse of air (http://instagram.com/p/OFjsXRGgQS/).  It still required a bump or two but that was about it.  The long straight burr chamber inlet is what I liked the most, no caught beans or grind buildup.  The previous stepped versions have a huge hollow space, between the collar opening and the actual burr inlet, which either catched single dosed beans or becomes encrusted with a surprisingly thick layer of stale hardened beans+grind residue when used with a hopper without proper cleaning.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
scjavadr

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 6:58pm

Thanks everyone!  I think the one I'm looking at is a 2006, so I'm guessing it's probably stepless.  See if I can lock this down this weekend.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 11:20am

Cool deal. I think you'll be very pleased. You'll probably want to pull off the autofill switch and flap. Any questions on that let me know. You'll also want to do a search for the tape mod on the doser veins, works really well. Ron
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Compak K6 -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284913063049)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+