Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Portafilter doesn't fit in Rocky Rancilio
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Portafilter...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
scjohnson

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 5:53am
Subject: Portafilter doesn't fit in Rocky Rancilio

Hello all,

I just upgraded to a Rocky Rancilio as my 9 year old (cheap) starbucks grinder's motor starting wearing out. I really appreciate the grind, but I still have the 53mm Saeco espresso maker and it's portafilters don't comfortably fit in the holder under the spout of the doserless model. **

I'm getting ready to shim around to try and make it work, but wonder if I can find a portafilter that will fit my old Saeco (53mm) while fitting under the grinder spout like the Rocky's own portafilter. I've only seen the same bulky 53mm versions online, instead of the geometry accompanying the wider portafilters, and wonder if I'm stuck with this frustration.

Of course, the full solution is to upgrade my espresso maker, but (as I suspect people here understand) I need to tread carefully on the frequency of my large coffee purchases to keep the marital happiness.

Thanks for the suggestions,

stephen

** Details: If I put the entire portafilter in there, two shots worth of espresso fills up the grinder's spout and removing the portafilter drops almost half the grinds on the floor if you're not very careful. Putting only the basket under there leaves too much room between the spout and basket, again dropping a large amount of coffee on the floor.
 View Profile Link to this post
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 7:13am
Subject: Re: Portafilter doesn't fit in Rocky Rancilio

well
pull the portafilter fork off (just pull straight out and it will come off)
until you find a more permanent solution
or you just will get use to hold the portafilter with your hand for the 8-12 seconds it takes to fill the basket up

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
scjohnson

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 8:17am

Thanks. That's what I'm doing now. Just took the grounds bucket from the old grinder and it fits ok underneath the spout. It looks a little ghetto, but this is where we are till we decide to get the new espresso maker.

Cheers.
cjm69

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 6:39pm

I just came across the exact same problem, I tried to pull the fork off didn't come out not sure how hard to pull.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 1:29pm

IIRC the fork is held on with screws but it has been a while since I've owned a Rocky.  It's a bit too late but I'd strongly suggest a different grinder.  Not sure why the Rocky keeps coming up as a good option despite the many recent threads stating otherwise.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 1:59pm

Well its not terrible.

Its just not great.

And for what it costs, you can easily get something much much better.  But if Rocky is what you've got, you can certainly develop technique and enjoy good espresso while you save to upgrade.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
cjm69

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 3:05pm

I just ordered a non pressurized portafilter upgrade from Seatle coffee gear for $60 should fit in doser and make better shots
Chris
bobpaule
bobpaule

Espresso: Vetrano, Venus, Enrico...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky...
Drip: I'd rather seize!
Roaster: Galloping G/Stir Crazy, FR8...
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 7:11pm

I took the hacksaw to the spout with excellent results. Best results with a coping saw, after you gently squeeze the spout into a vise using rubber protectors, and mark the cutoff line with a needle.

After that i used a file, then 400, then 1000 grit sandpaper and rubbed the entire spout with 1000 grit, for that
super pro look when i applied black automotive touchup paint from Autozone (it beats Valspar's big spray cans for small projects).

Really after the sawing off and the spout blackout Rocky doserles finally looked like a serious
piece.

Rocky doserless serving faithfully close to 8 years now next to a Hamilton Beach Ulka pump Walmart
$50 thermoblock machine for those brief lunch breaks, laugh but it beats the Handpresso i take on
our vacations.

bobpaule: IMG_20130208_104607_437.jpg
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Portafilter...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252872943878)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+