Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Manual grinder comparison -- is it work the extra money?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Manual grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Corry
Corry
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Moka Pot
Grinder: Mr. Coffee blade grinder
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: Cheap Mr. Coffee 5 cup...
Roaster: Poppery I, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 1:55am
Subject: Manual grinder comparison -- is it work the extra money?

I'm more or less poor, and really should just force myself to continue to be happy with my blade grinder, but I'm not.  (I'm actually quite happy with it for espresso, but not for drip coffee, which I've recently begun to drink at home).  So, I've decided I'm going to splurge.  

However, 'splurge' doesn't mean to me what it might mean to most.  I'm looking at two manual grinders on Amazon.  The price difference is only $11, but that's a big freakin' deal to me.  

Aaaanyway.  The two I'm looking at are the Hario mini ($34) and the Kyocera ceramic ($45).  

The Hario has 4 stars and the Kyocera has 4.5, and they both have a similar and large amount of reviews.  

I will be using it mainly with my moka pot, but also with a 5 cup drip machine. I only grind enough for what I'm about to brew.  Does anyone here have experience with either (or both) of these grinders and can tell me if the Kyocera is worth the extra money? Or will I be just fine with the Hario?  Or is there one I don't know about that's under $50 that would be better?

Unless it's ridiculous, amount of work put into grinding isn't really a factor.  I'm buying a manual grinder, I'm expecting some manual labor.  

Thanks in advance for any input!
 View Profile Link to this post
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:51am
Subject: Re: Manual grinder comparison -- is it work the extra money?

I've only used the Hario Skerton, which looks identical to the Kyocera as far as I can see.

If you are going to use it for a 5 cup drip machine I'd probably go for the Kyocera, because it's bigger than the Mini and probably more suitable for grinding larger amounts.

Quality wise I couldn't say but probably much of a muchness I would have thought.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:34pm

The reportedly good Hario Skerton is $40 on Sweet Maria's (compared to $63 on Amazon) so shop around a bit further than Amazon.  It's not always the cheapest option.  There's also the Porlex Mini on Amazon ($42) to add to the options.  I have the slightly taller Porlex, and it's very good for everything from Aeropress to Coarse drip, and OK for espresso or press pot as well.
Corry
Corry

Espresso: Moka Pot
Grinder: Mr. Coffee blade grinder
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: Cheap Mr. Coffee 5 cup...
Roaster: Poppery I, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:03pm

Oh, wow, thank you!  I would not have guessed that there'd be such a huge price difference!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Manual grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.200755119324)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+