Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Upgrade Rocky or Silvia?
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Upgrade Rocky or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
shadowsnuzzy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 6:55pm
Subject: Re: Upgrade Rocky or Silvia?

Alright looks like I'll get a vario lol

I know this isn't the right forum but what do you think of an Expobar Office Semi Automatic? I can get one for $500 and I'm wondering if it's a good upgrade from my silvia. I'm mainly looking for Temp stability and good steam since I only make lattes.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 7:08pm

Well, you're right, in that you should ask in the Espresso Machines forum, but since we're here . . .

Expobar is an interesting company.  Their various models and upgrades (I through, now, IV) of the Brewtus get a lot of love and have a strong following/clientele, but the machines "lower down" in their lineup . . . not so much.  I say this from personal experience, and I am not the only one.  

Now, are their "lesser" machines useless? hopeless? a complete waste of time and money?  No, probably not.  I'm sure some people have had success using them.  But they do suffer (or at least have suffered) from build-quality issues.  So I'd pass . . .

I know you think the Rocky is fine and your problem is with the Silvia -- no matter what the rest of us are telling you.  OK.  Fine.  It is counter-intuitive to think the (relatively inexpensive) grinder is more important than the (relatively expensive) machine . . . after all, grinders top out at (approximately) $3000 for a Mazzer Robur-E 3-phase, while espresso machines can easily exceed $10,000!  But I would urge you to take one step at a time.  Get the Baratza Vario, use it with the Silvia.  You will see a marked improvement in your espresso.  But, yes, eventually you will probably want to upgrade your machine, too.

In the meantime, read this, this, this, and this.  Take your time to truly understand what's going on.  Your espresso will definitely benefit . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
shadowsnuzzy

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 7:16pm

Yea I get that the grinder is more important which is why I plan on buying a new grinder first. But either way, I'll have to upgrade my silvia, whether that's now or in 6 months. I don't have a PID, so the temperature flexibility really pisses me off sometimes. I'm just looking for something that can keep it's temperature, and I figure if I pair that with a good grinder like a Vario, I'll be set for a very very long time.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 8:42pm

Did you read the referenced material?

shadowsnuzzy

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 8:47pm

Yes, if you're referring to the 4 M's I understand the espresso machine is the least of my concern. However I'm already upgrading my grinder, I only buy award winning beans roasted 2 days prior, and I use a gram scale and consistent tamping method to minimize personal error. The biggest variable as of right now is the damn temperature. If I do everything right, my shot can still come out sour or bitter depending on a few degrees of temp.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 9:24pm

shadowsnuzzy Said:

Yes, if you're referring to the 4 M's I understand the espresso machine is the least of my concern.

Posted January 14, 2013 link

a) that's not true; b) the "Four M's" is but one of some five or six things you're been provide links to.

shadowsnuzzy Said:

However I'm already upgrading my grinder . . .

Yes.  And if you recall, I recommended -- but it's only a recommendation, mind you -- that you wait to upgrade your machine.

shadowsnuzzy Said:

I only buy award winning beans roasted 2 days prior . . .

Uh, so -- each and every day, you get a delivery of beans (WTF does "award-winning" mean?) that are two days post-roast?

shadowsnuzzy Said:

. . . and I use a gram scale and consistent tamping method to minimize personal error. The biggest variable as of right now is the damn temperature.

And it always will be.

You have a serious problem.  Well, at least one serious problem that can be addressed here on CoffeeGeek.  You speak of

shadowsnuzzy Said:

(Even i)f I do everything right, my shot can still come out sour or bitter depending on a few degrees of temp.

but you also say

shadowsnuzzy Said:

I only make lattes.

Now, presuming that you are keeping your name but not your age a secret, you are only 17, so there is a part of me that wants to urge patience.  

OTOH, there was a serious reason that I suggested you read THIS was so that you would have an understanding of the various types of machines out there, their strengths and weaknesses.  Because you are/seem to be so focused on the precise temperature -- something I am not -- I would recommend to you that EITHER keep your Silvia (SBDU) and retrofit it with a PID, OR look to buy a PID-equipped DB.  If you have an SBDU w/PID, you can maintain a (relatively) precise temperature.  If you have DB with a PID on the brew boiler, same thing.

Normally I would point out that there is no difference in the cup between an HX and a DB in terms of the quality of espresso, but in your case, I believe you'd be far happier with a DB than anything else.

Start saving.

shadowsnuzzy

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 9:37pm

I skimmed some of the articles, I have finals next week but I bookmarked them and I indent to read them through soon.

I taste all my shots before adding the milk, once in  awhile a perfect espresso comes out. Syrupy, sweet, and balanced. When I add properly steamed milk, it turns into the best latte ever. But when I pull a sour or bitter shot, I can taste it through the milk and it isn't pleasant.

And award wining meaning Vivance, Klatch, Verve, Equator, ect. I freeze my beans asap, and use up every thawed package in 3 days so generally freshness isn't a problem.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 9:37am

Maybe you should be studying for your finals instead of which machine to upgrade to?  I have to second Jason's comments...well, at least the last 4 or 5 posts of his.  What's your rush anyways?  Before you say the water temp is the big problem in your life, why don't you at least try your new grinder before jumping to conclusions?  I mean, now that you've finally grasped the concept everyone has been trying desparately to drive into your head.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
EagleBoy

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 9:07pm

As fate would have it, I do have a Rocky and a BV ( Preciso - close??) and a Silvia.  The Bratza is a far better grinder than the Rocky IMHO for much less.   I mean the Rocky is great given its age, but the newer grinders far exceed it.  as for upgrading machines, got that angle covered, too.  :)  My new Brewtus iV just got unboxed.  Have pulled about a dozen shots - all near perfect or perfect.  No temp surfing etc.  I would NEVER buy a non-PID machine again.  Ever. Never ever.
shadowsnuzzy

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:46pm

Damn if only I had the budget for a brewtus, I'd be all over that
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Upgrade Rocky or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320822000504)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+