Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
WOW - My Mazzer Robour Has Arrived!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > WOW - My Mazzer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ECM
ECM
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:27am
Subject: WOW - My Mazzer Robour Has Arrived!

NOTE: Please skip down to my last post for the my Good New Regarding My New Mazzer Robour!!

I'm wondering if the kind folks on this site could provide me with a list of espresso grinders equal in size and performance to the Mazzer Robour E.  

I am hoping to compare the Robour to other E like grinders in this class to determine the best suitalbe grinder for my own personal use.

Thank you,

Rob
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:26pm
Subject: Re: Give Me Your short list of Robour Equals

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
ECM
ECM

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 6:03am

Thank you Russel for the link,

Rob
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 8:27pm

You need to really look into what goes into using a large commercial grinder in a home environment.  Your Mini is tiny by comparison and has a relatively small amount of retention in the chute/chamber.  A Robur or a Kony are very large and retain more than a full dose of grounds in the chute/chamber.  Big grinders are also effected by the quantity of beans in the hopper, often with grind consistency suffering at low hopper volumes or in accurate timing on timed doserless grinders.  The Robur is not just a $2000 version of a Mini or SJ than can be dropped in place and instantly upgrade your espresso to championship quality.

I think that the HB comparison highlights the fact that a lot of the "performance" of the Robur does not occur in the chamber or translate directly into the cup.
ECM
ECM

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 1:08pm

I guess I'm going to find out because a Robour is on its way.  

Rob
ggcadc
ggcadc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: All of them
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 3:49pm

ECM Said:

I guess I'm going to find out because a Robour is on its way.  

Rob

Posted January 10, 2013 link

well I'm stoked to see this, grind retention aside, that is a BEAST of a grinder and I'd be happy to host it in my lab.
 View Profile Link to this post
ECM
ECM

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 6:49pm

It's due to arrive on Monday!!!

I am going to be roasting up some Malibar Gold for its arrival.  I'm giving my Mazzer mini to a friend of mine for his Birthday.

Thanks for your advice along the way,

Rob
ECM
ECM

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 6:24pm
Subject: My Mazzer Robour E Has Arrived!!!!

I just thought I would share my good newsÖ..

My new Mazzer Robour E arrived today!!!!!

It took me 1.5 pounds to finally get the grind and docing time set up.  Iím sure it wasnít necessary for me to plow through that much coffee but this beast will take some getting use to.  

When dialing in my old mini the moment you made a grind adjustment that change would be immediately perceptible from the first shot that was pulled.  Well with the Robour when you make a grind adjustment you have to run at least one double through it before you dispense the old grinds from the burs.  Consequently, I ended up chasing my tail for awhile before I realized this.  

The tasteÖ. Oh my god the taste!

I am using my own home roasted Malibar Gold and when I took the first sip there was an explosion of fruit flavor I havenít ever experienced before.  The notes were very crisp and alive in the mouth and the aftertaste on the pallet was divine.  Now I understand why so many prefer a large conical like the Robour.  The shot was a tad sour; probably a result of the light roasting style I use.  I found that with the mini I had to keep the roasts on the light side to pick up on the origen of the bean.  Iím going to try some darker roasts.  I suspect that the Robour is able to tweak out any slight under roasting and highlight this inadaquecy.  I think if I take it just a bit more into second crack it will taste even betterÖ. Or so I hope.  

Crema:

The other noticeable difference with this grinder was the sheer amount of crema in the cup.  The entire shot was total crema!!!   I am not exaggerating what so ever.  Right from the top to the bottom of the cup was filled with this thick ďcling to wallĒ beautiful crema.  Oh my God Iíve died and gone to heaven.  

If you donít mind I have some quick questions:

1.  Has Mazzer changed the way they paint these grinders?  My old Mini was the gray version.  It had this shiny quality to the finish as if they sprayed it with some sort of protective coating.  I noticed that my new black Robour has a mat finish.  Has Mazzer gotten away from the protective coating and opted for a cheaper product or is it just as durable as the old style of paint?

2.  Can someone explain what the thumb screw on the top of the adjusting collar is for?  Someone suggested that itís a braking mechanism to lock down the collar to prevent someone from tightening the burs to the point of touching one another.  Someone else said it was to simply prevent your grind from drifting.  Can someone clarify this and explain what itís for?   I didnít have this on my mini and I can not find anything in the manual that explains it.  

3.  In the box I also received a double headed aluminum convex tamper along with a stainless steel tamping stand of high quality.  Are these items something that Mazzer is including with the Robour or is this something that the vender added for value?  Either way Iím delighted.  I was thinking about getting a convex tamper... now I donít have to.  

Boy Iím totally blown away by this black beauty!  It towers over my Giotto like a prehistoric monolith.  My only regret is that I kept the mini for the past 9 years.  Iím not complaining mind you.  The mini served me well but the difference in the cup is nothing short of amazing.  

Thank you all for your insights.

Rob
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 8:35pm
Subject: Re: My Mazzer Robour E Has Arrived!!!!

Congrats!
I doubt that mazzer would do anything to  harm their rep for high quality, I am sure the Matt will last a long time

There is ascrew on the adjustment ring, I think it is there to prevent these he ring from moving more than one turn by accident. I have never seen the adjustment wander out on its own on a mazzer.

I couldn't tell you about the intended camper, I have never owned a NEW mazzer!

Welcome to the cup o crema club:-)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
ECM
ECM

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 8:36pm
Subject: Re: WOW - My Mazzer Robour Has Arrived!

Thanks man
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > WOW - My Mazzer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.273242950439)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+