Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 182 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 10:48am
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

Hey all, I would just like to get some Vario advice. in the last couple of months I have been finding that 2-3 nothched of micro adjustment doesn't seem to be affecting my grind. Same dose (weighed), same tamp, same machine (pressure and Temp), but no change in the flow of my shot. This was not the case before. I am not sure why and I am waiting to hear back from idrinkcoffee and Baratza. any ideas?
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:20am

JohnLyn Said:

Hey all, I would just like to get some Vario advice. in the last couple of months I have been finding that 2-3 nothched of micro adjustment doesn't seem to be affecting my grind. Same dose (weighed), same tamp, same machine (pressure and Temp), but no change in the flow of my shot. This was not the case before. I am not sure why and I am waiting to hear back from idrinkcoffee and Baratza. any ideas?

Posted March 11, 2013 link

You've obviously got good technique to get consistent results.
Perhaps you just need to clean the grinder thoroughly, removing the upper and lower burrs. Sometimes a bit of coffee residue gets under the lower burr.
make sure to run the Macro and Micro arms up an down a few times. A little compressed air in the slot of each arm wouldn't be a bad idea.
When you've reassembled, I'd recommend another 2mm calibration, just for grins.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:41am

another good Idea while servicing check the setscrew on the motor pulley to make sure it's still secure. I've had mine come loose in the past (most recent 2 days ago) and it will chew the motor shaft a good bit. I've resorted this time to using a drop of locktite to keep from spinning out. if you notice your grinder vibrating more than normal this is one of the causes.

kboom1: DSCF0075 (FILEminimizer).JPG
(Click for larger image)
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:53am

wsfarrell Said:

Something I haven't seen a lot of discussion on (I searched): it seems to be fairly easy to strip (round off) the Vario adjustment tool. I've done it a couple of times. It's tricky to diagnose. It just seems like the adjustment screw gets easier to turn, but has no effect. As soon as I got a "real" hardened hex key, the issue went away--adjustment was quick and positive. Maybe my adjustment screw is just really tight, I don't know. Anyway, it's something to consider if the original tool doesn't seem to have much of an an effect.

Posted February 9, 2013 link

When adjusting finer, I've seen the steel square "C" channel that the grinds adjustment screw butts up against bent & damaged into a reverse "U" (caved in due to excessive cranking/turning down on going too fine) on Varios I've serviced. Of course when going coarser it loosens the adjustment mechanism & the turning gets easier.

See my previous posts for pics.

Edit: I'm working on a customers Vario right now, so I'm posting two pics about what I'm referring too. You can see on the far right the imprint of the 2.5 mm hex screw.

CraigA: phpMmo13kPM.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 1:44pm

Bent & concave contour of the steel square "C" channel which is the lower burr shaft grind adjusting arm.

CraigA: Pict0024.jpg
(Click for larger image)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
greekespresso
greekespresso

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 2:28pm

Dear Craig,
I would be very grateful and I believe a few hundreds more here If you find some time and give us some info with pictures or diagrams of how the adjustment mechanism of Vario works. I am approaching almost 2 years of ownership of the Vario and I am completely clueless of how the bottom burr moves and locks into position.

For instance my understanding is that the bottom burr cannot be moved down from the sliding arms when there is no beans to push it. Is that correct? How come is that?
Please shed us some light on the above.

Many thanks
Christos

www.greekespresso.gr
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 3:57pm

Hi Christos,

It seems the more I've tried to explain things (pics, descriptions, etc), the more it seems to confuse people..

I believe that Baratza should have blow up schematics of ALL their grinders (Like Mazzer does {dealers like 1st-line, EPNW Espresso Parts NorthWest}, etc) on their web site to put to rest the confusion that people have with their grinders.

I'll see what I can/could do, but all I have is my cheap webcam that I take all my pics with., & most of the parts are put up on top of my computer tower so I can take the pics there.., so I'm kind of limited to what I can do.

greekespresso Said:

For instance my understanding is that the bottom burr cannot be moved down from the sliding arms when there is no beans to push it. Is that correct? How come is that?
Please shed us some light on the above.

The bottom burr does not move down from the sliding arms..
The bottom burr holder assembly can side vertically up & down inside its respective white resin housing/receiver inside a bronze bushing that's installed inside the bottom of this plastic housing.

Pictured below is the concave/scalloped brass piece that sits inside the steel square "C" channel. This is where the end of the lower burr carriers shaft resides & spins against.
With the two adjuster arms Macro & Micro, the horizontal cam shaped arm., square steel |_| channel.., this acts like a fulcrum/teeter totter to move the whole lower burr carrier vertically up & down.

The Macro (coarse) adjuster arm & the Micro (fine) adjuster plastic arm are conected together by a stainless steel rod & the Micro arm moving the shaft has a concentric shaped cam area lengthwise {think camshaft shape}, but have separate functions within themselves.

It's really too hard to describe it so someone can picture it all visually.
The ONLY way is to just get in there & take apart your grinder to see how all the inner parts work. That's what I did, I took apart my Vario to teach myself how it all worked. Same with all the other models too. {;-)

CraigA: Pict0026.jpg
(Click for larger image)

greekespresso
greekespresso

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:18am

Thank you Craig for all your effort to give me some description of how the adjustment mechanism works. I have now a slightly better understanding but I am still hoping that someone will find the opportunity to support the above text with pictures (Baratza maby?).

There is a very slim chance for me to dismantle mine. At present, I cannot afford any accidental damage that I might cause to the grinder.

www.greekespresso.gr
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 6:54am

IMAWriter Said:

You've obviously got good technique to get consistent results.
Perhaps you just need to clean the grinder thoroughly, removing the upper and lower burrs. Sometimes a bit of coffee residue gets under the lower burr.
make sure to run the Macro and Micro arms up an down a few times. A little compressed air in the slot of each arm wouldn't be a bad idea.
When you've reassembled, I'd recommend another 2mm calibration, just for grins.

Posted March 11, 2013 link

Whoa! I have now discovered that what I thought I have been doing for cleaning was not cleaning at all. I have been afraid to pull the burrs out because I am not a fix it guy. but after talking with Colin at Baratza and went ahead and did it.  I found a lot of grinds in there and I found that the shut was pretty gummed up. Everything is cleaned, reassembled and re-calibrated. I'm learning!!

Two things I find now, one is that the grinds are fluffier and have more volume?? two, although there is definitely a difference from coarsest setting to finest, the coarse setting is well shy of what I would want for a french press. I only use the grinder for espresso but I was surprised to discover that. Does that make sense?
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 7:02am

and again three micro clicks with no change in pour time. I am confused...
showing page 182 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.36602306366)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+