Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Upgrade from Preciso?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Upgrade from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
beanlove

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillio Silvia w/ Auber...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Melitta
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 6:56am
Subject: Upgrade from Preciso?

I am in the process of upgrading my espresso machine from a Rancilio with PID to a Rocket R58 which is due to arrive next week. I currently have a Precisio grinder which has been serving me well. Does anyone think I should upgrade it to match the machine? Do you all think I am crazy? I will likely wait and see how the shots come out of the new machine, I am just wondering what you all think since I know the grinder is an important piece of the puzzle.
I aspire to produce top notch shots and have been working on my skills a lot since I got the Silvia. I think they have improved but I could never get shots on the level of what I recently had at San Fran (BB, ritual, 4 barrel, spy glass etc) or my local roaster. Of course there are so many variables in equipment and skill in the mix. So opinions please ? If you think I am crazy that's fine, my wife has come to accept it all.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 12:53pm
Subject: Re: Upgrade from Preciso?

If you want... the Preciso is way more than capable for that machine though, or any machine. The difference in moving up is if you not only want a more robust (metal etc) type grinder (or something to match a more flashy machine), but more so larger flat and conical burrs for taste.
beanlove

Espresso: Rancillio Silvia w/ Auber...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Melitta
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 1:20pm

Thanks CMIN! I do like the Preciso, it is pretty quite and compact and I have not had any problems with it. Being a novice I do appreciate the advice!
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 2:42pm

yeah, I agree.  the Presciso will continue to serve you well, but like he said, if you do choose to upgrade the grinder you will notice a difference in taste if you jump up one "class" or more.  For instance, if you decide to get a Vario or Mazzer Mini (or comparable), or Super Jolly, the improvement in the cup will definitely be noticeable (even if you kept your PID Silvia).

Enjoy the Rocket!  I've heard good things about them.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
sherpakid

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 7:16pm

emradguy Said:

yeah, I agree.  the Presciso will continue to serve you well, but like he said, if you do choose to upgrade the grinder you will notice a difference in taste if you jump up one "class" or more.  For instance, if you decide to get a Vario or Mazzer Mini (or comparable), or Super Jolly, the improvement in the cup will definitely be noticeable (even if you kept your PID Silvia)...

Posted December 30, 2012 link

Does the Vario really offer that much of a difference in grind quality to notice taste? Per Mark's review of the Preciso he said "Honestly, if this grinder had digital timers and controls, I'd advise Baratza to just drop the Vario and keep this model. It is that good." click here.

www.prohibitionspecialtycoffee.com
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 9:32am

sherpakid Said:

Does the Vario really offer that much of a difference in grind quality to notice taste? Per Mark's review of the Preciso he said "Honestly, if this grinder had digital timers and controls, I'd advise Baratza to just drop the Vario and keep this model. It is that good." click here.

Posted December 30, 2012 link

It's a nice flat burr design, vs the conical burr in the Preciso. Flat burrs seem to bring out more of the deeper notes (like chocolate etc). I think their both similar as far as grind quality, I've been impressed by the Preciso consistency as far as grind quality and fines, plus it's one of the quickest grinders around. What I really love about the Preciso is it rocks for single dosing.

My next grinder will pry be a nice flat burr.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 9:37am

well,  I must admit my Baratza recommendations are based on the innumerable posts I've read on here from the members I've grown to respect a great deal.  Although Mark said that, I think having 5 other guys who have years of experience saying the Vario is "that good" is enough for me.  If memory serve me well, at least one of these guys has a Mazzer Mini and a Vario and prefers the Vario grind quality.  Many people here have equated the Vario grind quality to the Super Jolly.  I don't think anyone with experience would ever make that same comparison with the Preciso...maybe I'm wrong?

I'm sort of like Wayne (calblacksmith), in that I personally prefer robust metal products that beam "beat me with a sledgehammer and I'll still work just fine", so I don't think you'll ever see me owning my own Preciso or Vario, but I do feel like I've read enough posts here from enough long-standing, well-respected members of this community and Vario owners (some of whom upgraded from Preciso) to make those recommendations.

So, I just read through Mark's review (thanks for the link).  Though he makes the recommendation that Baratza drop the Vario line, he actually makes other statements that imply it's espresso grind capability is superior to the Preciso.  I say this because although he says the two grinders perform comparably, he says it's because the Preciso produces less fines at the press pot settings range.  So, if the Preciso outperforms the Vario in one category, yet is rated comparable, then the Vario must outperform the Preciso in another category.  Indeed Mark made a few other comments that implied (in my mind at least) that the Vario is superior for espresso. There is very little comparison between the two in the article, and to truly know the differences from the eyes of someone like Mark, it would require a dedicated comparison article (IMO).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
shaneo

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 9:10pm

The preciso does a good job, had it been avaiable when I bought my mazzer Mini, I would have gotten instead of the mini.

Shane
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 9:48pm

Another nub here. I've had the Preciso with the scale module added for a couple months so I don't know for nuttin after having my Kitchen Aid burr mill for years... but...  I like that the grinder is conical and does a very nice job getting even smooth grinds on espresso and finer. Another thing, the fall through is short and very few places for grind overhead - you're getting all but a gram or two of your input back out (from cleaning) which can make changes in coffee quick and easy.
Last, look at it this way: you have a working grinder, keep going with it and look around - try other folks and see what they say. If you find you're convinced pays yer money, take yer chances... if not: you still have that faithful grinder you know and love at home.  
(oh, dear that's the first time I've ever phrased anything with an eye toward unfaithfulness - I feel so dirty!)  
By the by that HG-1 looks mighty sexy.
... don't you think?...
MJJ

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 9:25pm

I've had both a Preciso and Vario side by side on my countertop and did a bunch of comparison espresso shots to see how the taste compares. Every single time I preferred the taste of the Vario and I was surprised at how different they were. I didn't know what to expect with this comparison but was very pleased to find that the Vario tasted richer, fuller and deeper. The Preciso had more "tart" qualities in the flavour and I was happy to be moving away from that with the Vario.  I had to add shims to the Preciso to get it fine enough for a good espresso grind, that was really annoying and time consuming...a product flaw as it should have been "shimmed up" right from the factory. However the Vario is easily adjustable (well relatively speaking) and can grind as fine as you want it to, no need to take the whole grinder apart to add shims under the burrs.
  But now some of the buttons are sticking on my Vario's new, already replaced face plate. One of these days I hope there will be nothing left to fix. I'm pleased with the grind result though and their customer service (which I've used a lot) is great. Now that I have the Vario I would never go back to the Preciso.
-Matt
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Upgrade from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279658079147)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+