Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Virtuoso upgrade anyone?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso upgrade...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
shaneo

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 9:55am
Subject: Virtuoso upgrade anyone?

Hi, I just finished upgrading my Virtuoso with a new set of preciso burrs.  I have had it for 6 years and it was probably time to replace the burrs.  I use it for grinding drip and press coffee.
Baratza had a kit to replace the gearbox and the burrset. I followed their instructions and it seems to be working ok.

Anyone else put preciso burrs in their virtuoso?  What do you think?

I also got an Esatto, anyone know the proper amount of grams to use per ounce of water?  I started with 10 grams per cup of water.

Thanks, Shane
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sherpakid

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 8:23am
Subject: Re: Virtuoso upgrade anyone?

shaneo Said:

I also got an Esatto, anyone know the proper amount of grams to use per ounce of water?  I started with 10 grams per cup of water.

Posted December 26, 2012 link

I normally use a 1:15 or 1:17 coffee to water ratio for pourover coffee.
EDIT I just noticed you grams/oz. I use grams/grams - I measure water by weight in grams as it's more precise that way.

www.prohibitionspecialtycoffee.com
 View Profile Link to this post
Bob_M
Bob_M
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 5:22pm

Hi. I upgraded my virtuoso to preciso burrs and have been very happy with result. I have it at girl friend's house and use it every Sunday for drip. I can grind a little finer than before without getting bitterness. Like sherpakid  I use between. 15 to 1 and 17 to 1 ratios.  If u plug a 15 to 1 ratio into extract mojo you get a brew strength of 1.25 % .total dissolved solids at an extraction rate of 19% - ideal numbers.
shaneo

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 7:42pm

15:1 or 17:1 what? How much does an ounce of water weigh? I guess that I am not being as precise as I could be.
al_bongo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 8:27pm

17g of water to 1g of coffee. Its simpler sticking to metric. An ounce is approximately 28g. If you want to brew a 10oz mug I'd use a 17:1 ratio for drip.

Realistically I'd use 18g of coffee and 306g (18gx17) of water, which will give you a generous 10oz mug once you allow for the water retained by the dry coffee grounds.

Using 280g to approximate to 10oz gives a calculation of 280/17=16.47g

Using ratios is handy since you can scale up or down accordingly.
Bob_M
Bob_M
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 8:27pm

An ounce of water weighs 28.4 grams. A "standard coffee cup"is 5 oz. if u do the math you'll find that 6 cups of coffee requires about 59 grams of coffee grounds
shaneo

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 6:09pm

A standard cup of coffee is 6 ounces. An actual cup is 8 ounces. Where did you get 5 ounces from?
al_bongo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:49pm

I'm not sure why cups are so important to you. They are irrelevant if you brew by ratio.

1. There is no standard coffee cup size. That is why you brew by weight or ratio.
  2. The cup size on coffee makers tends to be around 5oz which is why the previous poster kindly gave you the instructions for brewing a typical pot of coffee.
  3. You are correct a US measuring cup is 8oz.

If you don't like ratios use 60g per litre. A litre is 1000ml or approx 35 fl oz.
shaneo

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 2:39pm

Actually, I don't care about cups, except to find a standard that I can use to measure a ratio.
When one is used to measuring liquids by volume, trying to measure by weight requires a shift in one's thought processes.
sherpakid

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 7:51pm

It does require a shift, but it will help you produce better coffee because it's precise and you can repeat it. a gram is a gram is a gram. An ounce is an ounce as long as the fill line is 100% accurate and you can pour to the exact same fill line time after time again. Scales are cheap. This is my favorite - American Weigh Scale 2KG
The easiest thing to do is start off with the 17:1 ratio. 17 grams of water for every gram of coffee. I normally brew my pourover using a chemex so I'll measure out 48 grams of coffee and brew 816 grams of water. I put the chemex on the scale (after rinsing the filter) and pour in the grounds. Then I tare it out to 0 and pour in 50 grams of water to bloom the coffee. Then continue pouring the water until the scale shows 816grams. You can then adjust the amount of water you pour to your particular taste for that particular coffee.

I have a Kenyan coffee that I love and I find that I like it best when I use 750grams instead of 816grams of water. It makes it so much easier to repeat because I know that my recipe is 48 grams of coffee and 750grams of water for that particular coffee.

www.prohibitionspecialtycoffee.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso upgrade...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.2468791008)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+