Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Preciso and Virtuoso Woes
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Preciso and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ggcadc
ggcadc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: All of them
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 12:20pm
Subject: Preciso and Virtuoso Woes

Ive had a Preciso and Virtuoso for a couple years now... the preciso produced great espresso, when it works, the virtuoso, for pourover, started great, and is still ok... these seem to wear and not work so well over time, I clean them, and I make sure none of the internals have snapped as everything is made of plastic inside. even with everything intact and in working order the preciso sometimes refuses to get fine enough for espresso, with all the adjustments way way down...

This morning my wife asked me for a cappuccino, which I could not produce and instead smashed the preciso to pieces. as much as the rocky had its drawbacks, it didnt have a bit of plastic in it and was consistent over time. guess it;s time for something with metal innards.

anybody want bits and pieces of my preciso? (it isnt really in pieces, im just venting)
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 6:42am
Subject: Re: Preciso and Virtuoso Woes

sounds to me like you may need to do a thorough internal cleaning and recalibrate your Preciso (wasn't clear if you destroyed it or not). There are guides on the Baratza support pages, there's also a good troubleshooting guide.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 7:03am

emradguy Said:

sounds to me like you may need to do a thorough internal cleaning and recalibrate your Preciso (wasn't clear if you destroyed it or not). There are guides on the Baratza support pages, there's also a good troubleshooting guide.

Posted December 27, 2012 link

...and an excellent, responsive customer service/maintenance dept if your cleaning and following troubleshooting doesn't provide relief.  Depending on volume of coffee put through those, two years may call for fresh burrs.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ggcadc
ggcadc

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 9:37am

I know guys, im on the third preciso, they are great, I just dont think I should have to get a new grinder every three months and go through the frustration of not being able to have a shot when I want one. I ordered a Mazzer mini e, this should solve the problem, at least for espresso.

ive gone through the cleaning and calibration, this is on the finest setting with the set screw all the way to the right. Baratza supports their products very well, but any site with that much DIY tech support, especially a fix involving scotch tape, something is definitely wrong there...They obviously get it right when it comes to grind quality, but these machines just dont seem to hold up very well. I'd pay good money if someone could CNC some metal internals(burr carrier, and adjustment mounting rings) for this burr set and put a stronger drivetrain on the motor with a better thermal cutoff, that would make this grinder a force to be dealt with.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 11:33am

The way to  'calibrate' a Preciso for espresso; trade it in for a Vario.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 1:10pm

plastic brings the Baratza line's costs down, allowing them to sell them cheaper, pleasing both consumer bank accounts and their volume product distribution analysts...at a price...people like me opt for more expensive better built machines.

I agree that Baratza support is fantastic.  They actually spent a great deal of time in email exchanges with me while I refurbed an old Solis 166 I got from a friend.  They even sent me some free gaskets.  It's up and running well for presspot, but even there, my Lido outperforms it incredibly.  I may end up gifting it to someone...though in it's used condition it would be a "hey, you want this?" kind of gift.  But that would have to wait until I get a replacement electric for when my Mom visits.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
ggcadc
ggcadc

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 9:12am

Frost Said:

The way to  'calibrate' a Preciso for espresso; trade it in for a Vario.

Posted December 27, 2012 link

are the internals on a vario plastic as well?, i see the burr carrier is metal////

but i'd love to have a conical burr grinder (the preciso burr is amazing) with metal internals and a slow rpm motor that can handle more than this one.
MJJ

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 8:53pm

Hi,
  Have you tried shimming your Preciso or Virtuoso? This involves adding little shims underneath the bottom burr to move the whole grind spectrum finer (you could do the opposite by removing shims). Baratza will send you shims for this and they have instructions on their website. It's a bit of a job though, interesting for those who are interested in the inner workings of coffee grinders. You can get a much finer grind this way then won't need to smash your Preciso, and your wife will be happy.
  The Vario has plastic on the inside too but at least the top burr carrier is metal. The Vario is easier to adjust the grind, no need to open up the grinder, just tweaks with allen wrenches. I much prefer the taste of the Vario's espresso grind, hands down better.
ggcadc
ggcadc

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 12:43am

I had not thought about shimming it, it sounds like the burrs are touching at about the 3 marker. Not sure that would solve it, so now it's my office drip grinder.

I went out on a limb and bought a mazzer mini e to resolve my issues with build quality.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 7:49pm

How did you clean it?

ggcadc Said:

Ive had a Preciso and Virtuoso for a couple years now... the preciso produced great espresso, when it works, the virtuoso, for pourover, started great, and is still ok... these seem to wear and not work so well over time, I clean them, and I make sure none of the internals have snapped as everything is made of plastic inside. even with everything intact and in working order the preciso sometimes refuses to get fine enough for espresso, with all the adjustments way way down...

This morning my wife asked me for a cappuccino, which I could not produce and instead smashed the preciso to pieces. as much as the rocky had its drawbacks, it didnt have a bit of plastic in it and was consistent over time. guess it;s time for something with metal innards.

anybody want bits and pieces of my preciso? (it isnt really in pieces, im just venting)

Posted December 25, 2012 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Preciso and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306344985962)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+