Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Preciso vs. Rancilio Rocky
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 4:41pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso vs. Rancilio Rocky

A bit off grinder topic, so I was going to suggest that you read here, similar

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/606528

or you could start a thread, like you have prior to this :)

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/605647

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 9:49pm

DCWildcat Said:

The Silvia is about $629 online.  What is a better option at that price point?

Posted December 19, 2012 link

1)  Gaggia Classic $375.
2)  LeLit PL041 $429

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
dfrench200
dfrench200
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Alexia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 8:20pm

DCWildcat, I am selling my PID'd Silvia V1 and Rocky.  I've had both for 7 years and have been very pleased.  Moving to an HX machine... :-)  Email me if you would like to discuss further.  PS I live in Chantilly VA, just west of you.
MikeReilly

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 11:05am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

1)  Gaggia Classic $375.
2)  LeLit PL041 $429

+1
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 5:10pm

Try this review head-to-head from SCG: Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:22pm

I suggest everyone read Marks review of the Preciso. I have one coming tomorrow from Mrs Santa. I dont think a Rocky is even close to the Preciso.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

Marks bottom line

"The Baratza Virtuoso Preciso grinder sets a new standard for grind speed, particle size, fines (or lack thereof), grinding range, and the amount of fine tuning you can apply to the grind. It truly is a "do it all" grinder that can replace most espresso-specific grinders under $1000, and indeed, any other grinder (save for its big brother, the Vario) designed for multi-use grinding under $500. The biggest deal about this grinder is the lack of fines it produces - even for press grind, you get a relatively clean and even grind that results in less mud in the cup. A close second is the macro / micro feature on selecting your grind - where the Baratza Virtuoso has maybe 2 usable settings for an espresso grind, in our testing, the Preciso has over 20 to fine tune. The lack of grinds-retention inside the grinder, the weight, the speed, the design, the materials used all up to a clear winner of a grinder. Because of these things, the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso Grinder is our best in class grinder under $1,000, pretty much tying with the Vario (based primarily on price and the Preciso's performance on press pot grinding)."
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 7:12pm

I have the Silvia (about a year) and the Preciso (same time frame but was replaced 3 months ago)

The Silvia is a little overpriced for the bells and whistles that you can get but you get knowledge that it is a horse.  This thing is commercial quality and replacement parts are plentiful.  That's why I got it.  I am not one to send it to a repair shop.  Shipping costs alone don't make it worth not just buying a new machine.  If you blow out a part on another machine at the same price point I'm not sure you can get parts as easily.  I'm sure you can but the Silvia is so popular there are a myriad of sites that have parts and you won't need them today but 5+ years from now you will.  I more sure parts will be available in that time frame vs. another brand.  Silvia need patience though.  About a month or two for me to get the knowledge of how to know when the temp is right.  It's pretty much key to making it taste just right.  You can get a good timed shot but I can tell when I don't get the temp right.  Usually you see it right away.  Mine blonds way too early when I don't temp surf.  The process makes it fun.  At least to me it was.  Now it is kinda hum drum but that is because I like the constant search for knowledge.  The machine is still great after a year.  I baby it though.  Sometimes at the expense of the shot I just made because I want to clean it right away.   Clean clean clean and you will have years of enjoyment out of any machine.

The Preciso is garbage.  Plain and simple.  The company is great but sometimes I think they know they put out a piece of crap and really didn't want any brush back by not replacing the bad units.  I got it replaced with the "updated" model and it is still all plastic.  The inconsistency is legendary IMO.  The stresses grinders go through don't lend themselves to the longevity of plastic.  Go with the Vario and save yourself the headache.   You will still get the Baratza great service, if you need it, and a proven machine.  I wish I did but I'm stuck with the Preciso.  I'm not one to throw away $300 and just get another machine.  I made the choice and I'm going to live with it.  I don't know anything about the Rocky.  I do believe there are better grinders out there than the Rocky though.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 1:22pm

Pilot sorry you dont like the Preciso I opened mine up this morning...and simply love it. I think that Mark is right and so are the others that have tested/reviewed it.
Calling it garbage when those in the know love it are not reconcilable opinions. Its definitely not worth arguing
about though. Hope you had a good Christmas bro.

pilot25 Said:

I have the Silvia (about a year) and the Preciso (same time frame but was replaced 3 months ago)

The Silvia is a little overpriced for the bells and whistles that you can get but you get knowledge that it is a horse.  This thing is commercial quality and replacement parts are plentiful.  That's why I got it.  I am not one to send it to a repair shop.  Shipping costs alone don't make it worth not just buying a new machine.  If you blow out a part on another machine at the same price point I'm not sure you can get parts as easily.  I'm sure you can but the Silvia is so popular there are a myriad of sites that have parts and you won't need them today but 5+ years from now you will.  I more sure parts will be available in that time frame vs. another brand.  Silvia need patience though.  About a month or two for me to get the knowledge of how to know when the temp is right.  It's pretty much key to making it taste just right.  You can get a good timed shot but I can tell when I don't get the temp right.  Usually you see it right away.  Mine blonds way too early when I don't temp surf.  The process makes it fun.  At least to me it was.  Now it is kinda hum drum but that is because I like the constant search for knowledge.  The machine is still great after a year.  I baby it though.  Sometimes at the expense of the shot I just made because I want to clean it right away.   Clean clean clean and you will have years of enjoyment out of any machine.

The Preciso is garbage.  Plain and simple.  The company is great but sometimes I think they know they put out a piece of crap and really didn't want any brush back by not replacing the bad units.  I got it replaced with the "updated" model and it is still all plastic.  The inconsistency is legendary IMO.  The stresses grinders go through don't lend themselves to the longevity of plastic.  Go with the Vario and save yourself the headache.   You will still get the Baratza great service, if you need it, and a proven machine.  I wish I did but I'm stuck with the Preciso.  I'm not one to throw away $300 and just get another machine.  I made the choice and I'm going to live with it.  I don't know anything about the Rocky.  I do believe there are better grinders out there than the Rocky though.

Posted December 24, 2012 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 10:03pm

Iluvdabean Said:

Pilot sorry you dont like the Preciso I opened mine up this morning...and simply love it. I think that Mark is right and so are the others that have tested/reviewed it.
Calling it garbage when those in the know love it are not reconcilable opinions. Its definitely not worth arguing
about though. Hope you had a good Christmas bro.

Posted December 25, 2012 link

I've owned it for just under a year, as I stated.  I'm very much "in the know."  I use it every day and each day the plastic insides warp more and more under great pressure.  It becomes completely inconsistent about month 4.  Again, I got a replacement unit that was "updated."  Again it has become inconsistent about the same time frame.  I am anal about how I dose and keep everything the exact same each shot.

Someone asked for opinions so I gave them mine.  They can gather all the data and make their own informed choice.  Adding input is what this forum is all about to help each other.  Sometimes negative feedback is necessary.  I love the Silvia and others hate it, se la vie.  My extensive use over a year should not be marginalized vs. someone else just because they like it and I don't.  Yes, I'm sorry I don't like your christmas present.  Don't take it personally.

You got it today and love it.  So you used it a few times?  Give us your take after 5 months when one shot pulls in 15 seconds and another in 27 when you have used the same exact bean, the exact same dose (16.1 oz.),  every freaking time and every time there is a different result by a lot.  If that doesn't occur then good on you and I'll be happy for you but make sure you help others by giving honest opinions.  Not just rosy ones.
revolver1978
revolver1978

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: --
Drip: --
Roaster: --
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 9:13am

I'd add to that the CC1 - it lists for $699, but is avail refurbished for $599 and someplaces are offering 10% off for new. I bought one so I'm biased. . . but I did like the Gaggia Classic I test-drove. . . .

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

1)  Gaggia Classic $375.
2)  LeLit PL041 $429

showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.328958034515)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+