Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Lifestar
Lifestar
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Grimac Mia
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Rocky, KAP
Drip: FP, TV, Aerobie
Roaster: HotTop P, I-Roast2
Posted Mon Mar 2, 2009, 1:31pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

The Vario showed up today.  I set it up and ran some beans through it.  I have not yet pulled a shot with it I will do that tomorrow morning when I have time to play with the grind and burn up some beans.  However I do have some initial thoughts.  

1.  Manual should really say you have to turn the bean hopper until you hear a click.  I put on my hopper and turned it enough to lock it in and then nothing.  I would get the digital count up/down but no burr movement.  It turns out there is a small switch that the hopper activates that allows the burrs to operate.  That's a Duh once I realized but it took me a few minutes to figure out.

2. PF holder is a great idea but poor construction.  The adjust screw is just into the plastic which on mine had some thread issues so that I could not unscrew it without putting a thin leaver behind it to allow the turning to run the screw out.  Once it was out and I went to adjust it for my bottomless E61 PF I realized it was already in the top screw.  Luckily there is enough room on the pf holder guides to allow it to slide in and have the screw rest on top of the plastic for a bottomless PF fit.  Its is just to bad that out of the box I am having to gheto mod it.

3. quiet running :-)

4. clump free output.  It will be nice not having to do the Weiss Distribution into a yogurt cup like I need to with my Rocky Doserless.

I will burn through some beans tomorrow and give a report.  I have 2 lbs of Zoka coffee showing up for Friday and the weekend when I will really give it a tryout.

Robert Kolm
Howell, MI
 View Profile Link to this post
tivopaul

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Compak K-3 Touch
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Wed Mar 4, 2009, 7:27am

Far less feedback so far on this grinder than I would have expected to see....given all the talk pre-release.  Not sure how to think about that....are people underwhelmed with it....or just haven't received it yet?
mhoy
mhoy

Espresso: Elektra T1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: HotTop KN-8828D
Posted Wed Mar 4, 2009, 8:46am

tivopaul Said:

Far less feedback so far on this grinder than I would have expected to see....given all the talk pre-release.  Not sure how to think about that....are people underwhelmed with it....or just haven't received it yet?

Posted March 4, 2009 link

Well, mine arrives tomorrow...... I'm guessing lot of other people are also waiting.

Mark
DaveZ

Espresso: Trying to decide
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bunn, Keurig
Roaster: popcorn popper
Posted Thu Mar 5, 2009, 5:31pm

Well....Good News, Bad News.

Good News:

UPS just dropped off the Grinder.
Very nice packing, double boxed from Chris's Coffee.

Bad News:

Unpacked and put it together. Pressed the manual button and the start button and as expected, it started. This is my first grinder so I don't have anything to compare it to but it is quiet. With it running, I adjust it all the way to fine on the macro lever and meet with some resistance on the last 2 "notches" but it goes. Slight change in the sound, not a lot, but noticeable. I move back to the filter setting and turn it off.

It comes with a sample of Grindz and recommends you clean the grinder.
I dump it in and start it. as expected, it grinds. I dump it out of the grounds bin and measure out 10 grams of beans. I put them in the hopper and start the grinder at the filter setting to find out where the grind is for my vac pot. Way to fine. I pull out the grounds bin, dump the fine grind and grindz residue and replace the grounds bin. Measure out another 10 grams of beans, dump them into the hopper and press the start button.

Nothing

No noise

No grinding

Just blue lights and the counter counting up.

I press start again and the blue light goes off and the timer resets to 000.
I have tried the  presets and the same thing. Blue light lights up, timer counts down but no grinding.

I remove the hopper, dump out the beans, remove the top burr and nothing seems amiss. i can turn the lower burr with my fingers. I reassemble the burrs, replace the hopper making sure to fully engage the safety switch.

Still no go.

I have called Baratza, 4:55 MST and left a message. I guess they may already be gone for the night.

I have checked the hopper several times and it appears the micro safety switch is in fact switched and the grounds bin is in place. I also tried the potafilter holder with the same results.

Any Ideas?
mhoy
mhoy

Espresso: Elektra T1
Roaster: HotTop KN-8828D
Posted Thu Mar 5, 2009, 7:01pm

Wow, Chris Coffee is making sure this isn't damaged in transit.

Very quiet, I'll find out more tomorrow morning. :-)

mark
flathead1

Espresso: Anita, La Pavoni pro, 67...
Grinder: Macap M4, Lelit 53, Solis...
Drip: Bodium Press
Roaster: I-Roast1, Behmor, RK Drum
Posted Thu Mar 5, 2009, 8:31pm

Dave,

Just a quick check, in the first part of your comment you said you pressed manual and then start, the second you say you pressed just the start button. It's not too clear in the manual but I found that either the Manual button or one of the three bottom buttons have to pressed, then the start to get it to run (this was after I figured out the hopper safety switch had to be tripped).

Bill
DaveZ

Posted Fri Mar 6, 2009, 7:49am

flathead1 Said:

Dave,

Just a quick check, in the first part of your comment you said you pressed manual and then start, the second you say you pressed just the start button. It's not too clear in the manual but I found that either the Manual button or one of the three bottom buttons have to pressed, then the start to get it to run (this was after I figured out the hopper safety switch had to be tripped).

Bill

Posted March 5, 2009 link

Bill,

Yes, I followed the same procedure. I just failed to mention that step. I also tried each of the bottom buttons. I even tried changing the preset time. Everything works; timer counts up or down depending on which function I am using, the  correct lights light up but no motor.

If I press the manual then start or one of the preset buttons and see the timer counting and then twist the hopper to disengage and re-engage the safety switch, I can see the blue led's dim and brighten. I don't know if this is indicating the safety switch is indeed working and the problem is elsewhere or it is still in the switch.
DaveZ

Posted Fri Mar 6, 2009, 5:46pm

Update:

Replacement grinder is on the way. Joe said they would get a replacement out today and they did.

After being told I was the very first person to have a problem with this new grinder, I started to wonder if it was in fact user error. I decided I was going to try everything I could think of to get it to work or at least be repeatable.

I was able to get the grinder to work, but not as intended.

If I press Manual and Start and the timer starts but the motor does not run, I press start again to stop the timer and reset it to 0. Next, I press either Grind Time button, the up or the down, for any length of time and then press Start, and the grinder will run. I have tried this several times and I can get the grinder to work every time if I press either Grind Time button, then Start.

It will also work if I press a preset button, then either Grind Time button and then Start. When I press Grind Time button to lower the time, a random time registers in the window and the grinder will run for that amount of time.

I am not going to pretend I know anything about control boards, but it appears there is a flaw in this unit.

Dave
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 7, 2009, 3:06pm

"I will burn through some beans tomorrow and give a report.  I have 2 lbs of Zoka coffee showing up for Friday and the weekend when I will really give it a tryout."

Robert Kolm
Howell, MI

_________________________________ ________________________________

Wow, talk about some terrific "sacrificial beans" LOL

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Lifestar
Lifestar

Espresso: Grimac Mia
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Rocky, KAP
Drip: FP, TV, Aerobie
Roaster: HotTop P, I-Roast2
Posted Sun Mar 8, 2009, 12:26pm

IMAWriter Said:

"I will burn through some beans tomorrow and give a report.  I have 2 lbs of Zoka coffee showing up for Friday and the weekend when I will really give it a tryout."

Robert Kolm
Howell, MI

_________________________________ ________________________________

Wow, talk about some terrific "sacrificial beans" LOL

Posted March 7, 2009 link

Well the downside is I came down with the stomach flu on Thursday and my stomach is still chruning if I east anything stronger than toast.  Wonderful beans showed up on  Friday and I cant do a thing with them.

Robert Kolm
Howell, MI
showing page 2 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30201292038)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+