Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer Super Jolly - grind adjustment with power off - what are the consequences
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Super...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Jjprestidge

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 2:58pm
Subject: Mazzer Super Jolly - grind adjustment with power off - what are the consequences

I've just bought a used Super Jolly, but in the process of moving it I've changed the grind setting whilst the power is off (by about half an inch). Is this likely to be an issue, and if so, what do I do?

Don't have any beans at the moment to test it.

Cheers,

JP
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 3:06pm
Subject: Mazzer Super Jolly - grind adjustment with power off - what are the consequences

If there were no beans in it when you did the adjustment - no problem.

If there were beans in it, but you adjusted it coarser - no problem.

If there were beans in it and you adjusted it finer - extremely unlikely to be a problem.

Less well built domestic grinders might be a different matter, but Mazzers are built like tanks (as you discovered when you lifted it....)

I wouldn't worry, Mate.
 View Profile Link to this post
Jjprestidge

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 3:12pm
Subject: Re: Mazzer Super Jolly - grind adjustment with power off

No beans in it, so hopefully should be OK. Thanks.

Slightly puzzled by why it needs to be adjusted with the power on. It's a timer model, so the time is always running out while you're adjusting it (I'm guessing, as I've not switched it on yet).

Cheers,

JP

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 3:32pm

It's good practice I guess.

From a strictly engineering point of view, I suppose it prevents partially ground lumps of bean being jammed between the burrs if you tighten them slightly.  I doubt whether this would do any harm to the grinder. It may mean though that the burrs don't "settle" into the position they would with the grinder running, bearing in mind that a small adjustment on the collar makes only a miniscule change to the distance they are apart.

I admit to occasionally adjusting mine ever so slightly when it isn't running.  You pull a shot that perhaps runs a fraction too fast, and think - hmm, just half a notch perhaps, and then do it ;o((  I doubt I'm alone in that.....

You'll find though that once you have it pretty much where the grind needs to be, that any further day to day changes will be very small, although the initial process may take you a while.  Mazzer put a grinder-specific sticker on each as it comes from the factory, indicating their assessment of a good starting point for espresso, but on a used grinder you can't assume that would still be valid if it's even there still.  

If you use it for different types of brewing (not generally recommended on here) you'll be making much larger adjustments of course.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 9:12am

For daily small adjustments, like just making the smallest movement possible to the adjustment collar (about all I need to do on daily adjustments) it won't be a big deal but is better if running. As  _____   said, Mazzers are built like tanks so it is unlikely to do much damage. On less robust built grinders, it can jamb beans between the teeth in the burrs and if it has a motor on the weaker end of the scale, you can overload the motor, esp if you made a big adjustment and really crunched a bean solidly.

It is best to not use an espresso grinder for other methods. Firstly, most espresso grinders are designed to allow you to make very small adjustments to them so you will be moving the adjustment a LOT if changing from espresso to, say, drip. Secondly, most espresso grinders are not able to just "go back" to the exact same place they were before you moved them so you will be re-fine tuning them for your shots when you go back to espresso.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Jjprestidge

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 1:16pm

Thanks for the replies.

I've now removed the upper burr carrier to clean it. When I wind it back on, I wind it as far as it will go, then put the little screw in that stops it being unwound. Is there any way, other than that it won't turn any further, to know that I have it wound on fully?

One other silly question - I assume that the little notch at the front of the machine (at the 6 o' clock position) is where you line up the number to determine the coarseness of the grind?

Cheers,

JP
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 3:26pm

No
Yes

Be VERY careful when you reassemble, that adjustment ring is a very expensive part and the body of the grinder is much more so.

The best way to assemble is to put it all together springs etc, then turn the ring BACKWARDS while pressing down against the spring tension until you feel the click of the two thread starts dropping past each other then carefully screw the ring on. It isn't hard but the cost of doing it wrong and getting cross threaded is VERY EXPENSIVE.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Jjprestidge

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 2:54am

Have just zeroed the grinder, and the point at which the burrs start to touch is 4 notches coarser than 3 on the dial.

Does this sound right?

JP

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 6:08am

Jjprestidge Said:

Have just zeroed the grinder, and the point at which the burrs start to touch is 4 notches coarser than 3 on the dial.

Does this sound right?

JP

Posted December 1, 2012 link

Yes it does. But not because "3" is any sort of standard setting point, but because every grinder Mazzer make is slightly different, so there isn't a single number that is right  ;o)  (mine is close to 9).  That's partly why they also put several screwholes around the adjuster ring just so you can screw the adjustment lever into the best spot.

They all adjust to touching at a slightly different point.  I commented in an earlier reply that Mazzer evaluate every one before it leaves the factory, and put a sticker on what they consider a good starting setting for espresso.

Main reason, apart from small engineering tolerances in the grinders themselves, such as perhaps exactly where the threads engage etc.  is that different sets of burrs may also have tiny differences in their thicknesses.

Sounds good to me.  Hope you're happy with your purchase.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 8:30am
Subject: Re: grind adjustment with power off - what are the consequences

Jjprestidge Said:

Mazzer Super Jolly - grind adjustment with power off - what are the consequences

Posted November 29, 2012 link

It can jam.  If it does, loosen up a bit and start the grinder then adjust finer again with the grinder running.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Super...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270145893097)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+