Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Compak K10 Pro Barista
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Compak K10 Pro...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dtsuther

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus III
Grinder: Anfim Best; Compak K10 Pro...
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 8:04pm
Subject: Compak K10 Pro Barista

Will it hurt my K10 to run it off of a surge protector?  Like most of you I single dose  so the surge protector switch is much easier for me to use when I pulse the grinder.  I don't know why it would hurt it, but I thought I would ask just to be sure.

Thanks for the help,
David
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 3:13am
Subject: Re: Compak K10 Pro Barista

dtsuther Said:

Will it hurt my K10 to run it off of a surge protector?

Posted November 12, 2012 link

Actually, I think the surge protector would be hurt by your K10! :-)

Seriously... Most surge protectors have a cheap little thing in them called a MOV.. It looks like this:
http://www.bkbelectronics.com/pics/mov.jpg

It's function in life is to "Short out" any voltage over and above standard voltage.

When you "pulse" your grinder, you slam that little MOV with voltage transient after voltage transient, which means they will eventually fail. This is because motors draw a lot of current
for a split second when they are first starting up, which causes the voltage to dip down, when you stop the pulse, the voltage momentarily spikes, but not a lot.

Now, don't get me wrong.... It is absolutely normal for a MOV to fail. In fact, they all do. When they fail, that little "Protected" light goes out and your surge protected power bar just
turns itself into a normal power bar. All that pulsing your K10 on it will do is reduce the lifespan of that little MOV down from years to months, or even weeks.  

Sometimes, that little MOV will blow within a few weeks of normal use because all it takes is one big voltage surge and it's done. The sad part is, on really cheap surge protectors, you can't
even tell when the MOV has blown until the equipment connected to it has blown up too. (Which is why I never protect equipment connected to a power bar that doesn't have a "Protected" light on it.)

IMO, You can use a surge protector to control power going to your devices, but I would make sure that it has a heavy duty switch and not a cheap rocker switch. IMHO, I'd rather wire up a box
with a standard light switch in it with a male plug on one side and a standard female plug on the other and use that.

Now, if you said you were going to connect your grinder up to a UPS unit, I'd say that would be an absolute no-no, for many technical reasons that I'm not going to bother explaining.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 9:34am

A big +1 for Qualin's thoughts!
dtsuther

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 10:00am

Thanks for your thoughts. I am not electrically literate, but I may try to build something like this:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Or I may just buy a dark room timer. The k10 is awesome but I am just trying to get into a routine with the new grinder.

How can I tell if the surge protector has a heavy duty switch in it?  

Thanks again for the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

David
dtsuther

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 10:27am

Qualin,

I just checked the surge protector and it does have one of those protection lights.  It stays off most of the time, and when it is on it is just flickering. I will check into a better one. Any suggestions?

David
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 11:55pm

dtsuther Said:

Thanks for your thoughts. I am not electrically literate, but I may try to build something like this

Posted November 13, 2012 link

Oh wow. Yeah, I know a few coffee geeks actually just use darkroom timers because that's the easiest solution to go with and they generally can provide for a short burst of power for a few seconds as you need it.

One of the biggest advantages of using a darkroom timer is that it allows for consistent time-based grinding, which I've noticed is a HUGE time saver when you are banging off lots of shots.

If you build this custom solution mentioned, I wish you the best of luck! It doesn't look that hard to build and would do the job quite nicely. I would rather do that than rely on flipping a switch.

dtsuther Said:

How can I tell if the surge protector has a heavy duty switch in it?

Well, this is more of a matter of feel more than anything. In all honesty, a MOV costs less than $0.25. Since it is so cheap, it's difficult to find a cheap power bar without a surge protector in it.
Personally, I find that the beige APC SurgeArrest power bars have nice big easy to flip power switches. Something like this:
APC surge-arrest-series - Example Only

These power bars actually cost something, so when the protection light goes out on these guys, don't throw them out. :-) Just use them for something else which doesn't need surge protection.

dtsuther Said:

I just checked the surge protector and it does have one of those protection lights.  It stays off most of the time, and when it is on it is just flickering. I will check into a better one. Any suggestions?

OK, Perhaps we should step back a second here. This is actually a good sign, this means that the MOV on this power bar is probably shot which makes it ideal for use with non-electronic devices. In other words,
a power strip with a blown MOV just becomes an ordinary power bar. I don't honestly see the point in even surge protecting any motorized appliance unless it has electronics in it.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 7:03am

qualin Said:

Oh wow. Yeah, I know a few coffee geeks actually just use darkroom timers because that's the easiest solution to go with and they generally can provide for a short burst of power for a few seconds as you need it.

I would be one of those geeks with a darkroom timer ;0). My Major has the switch on the side bypassed and i use the stomp box switch for the dark room timer. Step on the switch the grinder runs however long i have set the timer for.  This leaves my hands are free to wack the doser and hold the PF. When I am banging out shots for a party the setup really shines.  The timer is adjustable by 1/10 of seconds and handle the draw from my Major with ease.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
dtsuther

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:02am

jwoodyu,

Which dark room timer do you use.  I have looked on ebay for darkroom timers and there are several and some are pretty expensive.

Thanks again,
David
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 3:12pm

Gralab 525 with a foot switch just like this one ;0)  I think i gave $60 for mine with the foot switch and shipping. I had to lurk ebay and craigslist for a couple weeks to get it done that cheap. Google Searchtempest.

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Compak K10 Pro...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306043148041)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+