Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Is my grinder good enough...
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Is my grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
skymoo

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 3:21pm
Subject: Is my grinder good enough...

My old espresso machine died a week or so ago and I treated myself to a new machine, I went for the Rancilio Silvia. My grinder, a Capresso Burr Grinder #585, was good enough for the last machine but I'm starting to think it's not good enough for the Ranchilio. Shots are coming out too quickly and there's not much creme, I believe I'm tamping correctly so the next obvious issue is the grinder.

From my research this is a possibility but I'd like to see what others think before I go out and buy another grinder?
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 3:35pm
Subject: Re: Is my grinder good enough...

I would venture a guess that your old espresso machine had a pressurized portafilter to make fake "crema", as the Capresso is in no way capable of grinding properly for espresso (I know, as Ii used to have one). It's not even truly a burr grinder, as it using large knobs on the burrs to crush the beans rather than grind them. With the Silvia, it's going to be completely hopeless.
skymoo

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 3:44pm

Thanks, I thought so. And yes my previous machine did have a pressurized portafilter.

Any recommendations for a grinder? From my research it seems that something like the Rocky would be a good match for the Silvia, any others that I should take a look at?
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 3:53pm

there are no "good matches" really.  I'd get the best grinder you can afford(or maybe look used or save up a bit).  Typically, to a point,  the better the grinder, the better the espresso.  Keep in mind that an entry level "good" espresso grinder will probably be at least 250 and the high end can go as high as 2000+.

if you have a dollar amount, we can probably steer you towards something.
skymoo

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 3:55pm

Makes sense, I was thinking something in the $300-$400 range?
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 3:58pm

My personal recommendation would be to stay away from the Rocky, as its stepped adjustments tend to be somewhat larger than makes for consistently good espresso across a variety of beans.

Used commercial grinders are an excellent way to go if you have the patience to look for a deal and aren't shy about swapping out a burr set (usually the only thing a used commercial grinder needs). I have a Gaggia MD-85, with exceptionally fast and consistent 84mm flat burrs. I don't expect to ever have to buy another espresso grinder (though upgrade-itis can strike without warning, it won't be because the grinder I have is not capable of doing what I need).

For new grinders under $350, my bare minimum recommendation is the LeLit PL53, for espresso only and a second grinder for drip and press, or the Baratza Vario if you're needing to grind for multiple brewing methods with a single grinder.  

Lots of folks will probably be along to tell you what they have and are happy with. There are a lot of possibilities out there, so don't rush and see if you can find locals with some of the recommendations so you can check things out first hand. There's no substitute for hands-on.
skymoo

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 4:29pm

I'm only after an espresso grinder so that LeLit sounds like a nice point to start looking... Thanks for the advice.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 5:24pm

like GVDUB said, i'm gonna be along and tell what i have and that i love it.  hahah

used mazzer super jolly, i think is the best espresso grinder out there in the 350-450 range.  :P  these grinders will likely outlive your espresso machine(and probably you).  

they'll pop up on the for sale forums here every once in a while.  Or maybe contact calblacksmith on here, he always has about a million extra of these laying around.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 7:32pm

I agree with George. I've owned a rocky and wouldn't buy one again if I had the same budget.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 7:46am

I have the Baratza Preciso and Esatto weight based doser (and an Ascaso I-1), and if I was stuck on a budget below $300 I'd get a refurb Preciso again for espresso and drip use, despite the bit of unreliability I've had (broken burr carrier, stripped gearbox) - cheap parts means that I'm OK with that.  Below $400 I'd be looking at a refurb Vario or Preciso + Esatto for mixed espresso and drip/vac pot/french press use.

The used commercial options are all a bit too big for my kitchen, and would fail the SO test, as I'd need a second grinder alongside one for drip use, which is why I'm staying away from them for now (and I guess your Capresso can do that OK, although not brilliantly).  With a bigger kitchen...
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Is my grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.228664875031)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+