Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
MACAP M4T
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > MACAP M4T  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
hydrologic

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 1:39pm
Subject: MACAP M4T

anyone have much experience with this grinder? I've had mine for over 6 years and still love it. For those that own this or similar grinder what's your method for cleaning it and how often?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 3:41pm
Subject: Re: MACAP M4T

I've got one, as well as a M4 (non-T).  I removed the finger guards from the doser and the hopper, to make it easier to manipulate brushes where I want them to reach.  It's helped a lot.  Other than that, I use Grindz regularly.  I haven't taken the burrs out for a deep cleaning, but have been contemplating that.  I did email Macap recently, and they said the burr replacement is "almost easy" (Italians typing in English)...and is recommended after 200kg of beans (nearly 450 lbs).

From what I can tell from trying to search for posts here and on HB, the Macap M4 disassembly is similar to the Mazzer Mini.

Would love to hear if you find anything different/additional.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
hydrologic

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 4:02pm

I do a deep cleaning about once a year. It's pretty easy. I soak the burrs in a cleaning solution. I have Grindz but I'm afraid to use it as I feel there will be left overs bits that will get stuck and mix with my beans over the next few days. Do you feel confident that all the debris and residuals are removed? How much coffee do you grind through and throw away once you do the the Gridz?
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 7:07pm

I know it's a little unrelated to this thread, perhaps we should open another one..

I'm curious to know how often one should use Grindz in their grinder..

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 7:45pm

I do toss a bit of coffee after clearing out the Grindz, typically on the order of a few doubles worth...about 60g or so.  It's probably overkill.  However, it's worth mentioning, I always seem to have stale whole beans laying around, and so, what I do is run those through the grinder after the Grindz, then run another 20g of fresh beans to clear those.  I haven't noticed any ill-effects on my espresso, so I guess it's working for me.

Step One: run the Grindz through
Step Two: brush the heck out of everywhere I can get the brush
Step Three: run the stale coffee through
Step Four: repeat Step Two
Step Five: run about 20g through, clear the doser, brush out the doser and chute as well as I can
Step Six: return to normal operation

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > MACAP M4T  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213353157043)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+