Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Preciso Replacement Unit
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 7:34pm
Subject: Baratza Preciso Replacement Unit

Several people on this forum have had their Preciso grinder replaced within the last few months.  How is your replacement unit working?

I just read the latest review, under the comsumer review tab, and it is pretty close to the experience I have had thus far.  First unit broken and replaced promptly.  The second unit is working okay but the grind consistency is lacking as the days progress.

My next move is to ask for $300 credit toward a higher end unit when this one goes in the next few months.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 8:27pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso Replacement Unit

I have had a replacement for about 2 months.  No issues on the new, refurbished, one.  I use it for espresso only and occasionally tune the fine adjust.  I have cleaned it and then returned to the prior setting without problem.  Happy so far.

What link are you referencing?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
redkiosk
redkiosk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 3:06am

I had my 1 month old Preciso replaced with another new one in June. My original one did not have the glued down adjustment ring and I was getting grind consistency all over the spectrum. The new one has performed flawlessly. I can TASTE fine changes to grind when they are made. I do clean it religiously after every different 12 oz. coffee and make sure the top burr plastic collar is in good shape and seated correctly. I would buy another, no problem. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
Izzo

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 8:58am

Jim,

That was likely my consumer review, I updated it today.  They thought it was the nylon burr holder that had broken, but it wasn't unfortunately.  I'm really disappointed in Baratza for putting a product out there that was not completely validated as there seems to be a significant number of people who are experiencing the same failure rate.  Please keep me posted as to any progress you have in getting this matter resolved and I will do the same.  I've already asked them in an email for credit toward a Vario, but they never replied to that request yet.  Monday I plan to call them and see what they are willing to do for me.

Paul
mwright

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 5:59pm

I am having issues (inconsistent grind) with my Virtuoso with the Preciso Burrs.  Unfortunately Baratza has said they think it is fine and will not do anything about it.
pilot25

Grinder: Preciso
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 1:34pm

Call back.  I had the same reaction from someone when I called the first time.  I called again after looking at this forum and got immediate results.

I have found, with big companies, when you call for support and don't get what you want, hang up and call back until you get what you want.

Demand satisfaction.
Izzo

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 12:49am

I wanted to follow up on a previous post, to let those on this site know that Baratza really did right by me in the end.  It was a pain in the ass to have to send two Preciso grinders back but in the end I asked them to give me the credit toward a new Vario grinder and I love it.  It is a superior product to the Preciso as it should be it cost around $145 more.  However for those who are having problems with your Preciso and do not want to spend more to upgrade I am an engineer and went into details with the technicians at Baratza and I firmly believe they have all the bugs wrung out of the Preciso's, they needed to make a series of minor adjustment to the design, and any machine produced after the July 2012 time frame will have all those updates.  The last one they made was to permanently attach the lower burr holder to the bottom chassis of the grinder, whereas prior to that they were using clips.  What would happen was the clips would vibrate themselves loose and once it was no longer attached to anything trying to adjust the distance between burrs and hence the "fineness" of the grind you could not accurately control that distance and you would get inconsistent and to course of a grind.  I almost decided to get a 3rd Perciso but I had decided to go upgrade because I had time to think about it through all of this and I originally wanted to go more expensive on the grinder so it was more about having a second chance to change my mind not because I didn't think they had the problem solved.  Also, I wanted people to know here is when the Preciso is setup and calibrated correctly it works great, no complaints.  So I guess for those here still having problems the good news is if you get a new machine from them now you'll not have additional problems going forward.  If you decide to upgrade to the Vario you won't be disappointed it is awesome.
rpaulo

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 5:18pm

I got a replacement unit in September but now I'm back to setting 2E. It used to run fine on setting 7A with most beans. I noticed that it didn't go from 7A to 2E but instead it went through all the intermediate macro settings. I have to clean it really well to see if it fixes it, but if not I'll call Baratza and maybe ask for the Vario.
sn_85

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Posted Sun Dec 2, 2012, 6:47pm

I'll second the upgrade to the Vario.  IMO, just a much more solidly built machine.  It just feels like a step up in build quality all around.  I recently started having problems with my Preciso and after a lot of doing their online trouble shooting and fixes I simply couldn't get it to work the way it did on day 1.  It worked fine for almost a year before acting up.  After reading a lot of similar experiences on here I decided not to replace it with another Preciso but jumped up to the Vario instead.  Cost was an extra $120 but I was looking for a reason to upgrade anyways.  So far so good with the Vario.  Definitely happy I made the jump.
rpaulo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 1:13pm

I called Baratza and they sent me a replacement plastic ring (mine was broken). Now it's even worse. :-( I decided to upgrade to the Vario and I hope that will be the end of the story. Although the customer service is top notch, I'm not sure I'll buy from them again.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.238690853119)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+