Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Switching coffee blends with Mazzer Mini - does all the old come out?
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Switching coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
tigermilk

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 5:52am
Subject: Re: Switching coffee blends with Mazzer Mini - does all the old come out?

BLrdFX Said:

+2, I run 3 grinders.  One for regular everyday blend (mazzer Kony-e), 1 for single requests like de-caf or a different blend (versalab M3) and finally a Pharos w/Voodoodaddy Mod to test different bean/bleans.

You can never have enough toys!

Posted October 29, 2012 link

Guess I better get my Baratza fixed then!

One bit of bummer news - ordered the Mazzer from 1st Line last week, expecting it to ship Friday.  Saw my email late Friday that they needed my signature (I hate that policy - buggered up my Cuadra order with them last year by a week+).  Got it off Saturday, but with the storm Monday and the ensuing mess, who knows when the darn thing will actually hit the ground.  In the meantime, it's French press and a return to the moka pot with my trusty $20 Mr. Coffee grinder.  My wife is really missing her lattes.  Making a latte with a moka grind just isn't the same.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 6:55am
Subject: Re: Switching coffee blends with Mazzer Mini - does all the old come out?

absence makes the heart grow fonder...or so they say...in this case it's lattes.  This will make your wife appreciate you more, hopefully!  :)

Hey, btw, Southside Espresso opened this past Saturday (on Westheimer, near Montrose, between Aladdin and Uchi).  I haven't tried it yet, but their website makes it look very promising.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
dorkroast
dorkroast

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 9:53pm

It is a weird police that 1st line has....I had the same thing happen to me. I ordered a machine from WLL, and a grinder from 1st line.... I ended up getting my grinder two days later because I didn't notice the "action required" email from 1st line for a day or two....

As far as retained beans- Yes there are some. Turning it upside down is possible, but not very practical. The Mazzer is HUGE compared to the Baratza line- and much heavier from my experience.

You can always shut off the hopper while grinding your blend to use up whats in the grinder, then switch blends for your wife. Its easy enough to do and would be my preferred method.

I think you'll love your Mazzer when you get it- I just got mine recently and I love it.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 1:07pm

emradguy Said:

I would not want to have to invert it on a regular basis to dump beans.

Posted October 26, 2012 link

^ This (especially since I have a Super Jolly).  You'll probably also need to brush out the chute.

emradguy Said:

Hey, btw, Southside Espresso opened this past Saturday (on Westheimer, near Montrose, between Aladdin and Uchi).  I haven't tried it yet, but their website makes it look very promising.

Posted October 31, 2012 link

That's right.  I'll have to check them out.

Hopefully the balls gets rolling soon with Blacksmith.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 5:02pm

Dude, you gotta get over there to Southside!  I wrote a little post-experience yesterday in the Houston regional thread...

I'm also looking forward to Blacksmith opening. The hours over at Greenway suck for me!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
tigermilk

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 8:52am

FYI, did finally get the Mazzer Mini delivered.  Took quite a few tries to dial it in with one of my preferred beans, but it's producing some fantastic grind.  MUCH better than what I was getting with the Baratza.  The last half dozen drinks haven't had any of the sourness from my Baratza efforts.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 8:58am

tigermilk Said:

FYI, did finally get the Mazzer Mini delivered.  Took quite a few tries to dial it in with one of my preferred beans, but it's producing some fantastic grind.  MUCH better than what I was getting with the Baratza.  The last half dozen drinks haven't had any of the sourness from my Baratza efforts.

Posted November 13, 2012 link

My personal opinion is that Mazzer has a much better build quality than the Baratza.  My Mazzer is built so well that I cannot envision selling it but just adding more grinders and for me that would be a large flat burr.

Enjoy your MM!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 10:06am

dorkroast Said:

It is a weird police that 1st line has....I had the same thing happen to me. I ordered a machine from WLL, and a grinder from 1st line.... I ended up getting my grinder two days later because I didn't notice the "action required" email from 1st line for a day or two....

As far as retained beans- Yes there are some. Turning it upside down is possible, but not very practical. The Mazzer is HUGE compared to the Baratza line- and much heavier from my experience.

You can always shut off the hopper while grinding your blend to use up whats in the grinder, then switch blends for your wife. Its easy enough to do and would be my preferred method.

I think you'll love your Mazzer when you get it- I just got mine recently and I love it.

Posted November 1, 2012 link

I single dose so no problem for me, but it is interesting that even some higher end grinders don't have locking hoppers, Breville managed to do that on the $200 Smart Grinder and one of those nifty features you don't think much about until you actually have to use them.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 10:11am

My Kony-E does have a locking hopper and it took some doing to defeat it!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Switching coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310760974884)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+