Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Hario Skerton vs. OE Lido
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hario Skerton...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 12:04pm
Subject: Hario Skerton vs. OE Lido

A lot of people who come here on a budget that's arguably too tight for espresso (want to pull shots with a non-pressurized PF and spend no more than $300 total) get a recommendation to purchase an entry-level pump machine, such as a Saeco or Gaggia, and a hand grinder until they an afford something better than a Capresso or Encore. Now I'm just a novice and I've never used the Lido, but when the Hario Skerton costs a mere $39 and features ceramic burrs that I know to be perfectly capable of wonderful, fluffy espresso, why would some on here recommend a $170 grinder from a boutique espresso supply company to a beginner who's not used to the high cost of espresso equipment in the first place? Now granted, the Lido looks sexy, it may grind faster, and it may be easier to adjust (I wouldn't know). But can someone explain to me what the $125 difference buys you with the Lido? If it's that awesome of a grinder, please do let me know :)
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 12:22pm
Subject: Re: Hario Skerton vs. OE Lido

Haven't used either (all of my hand grinders are vintage German and Dutch), but based on doing a little research:

Stepped (Hario) vs. stepless (Lido) adjustment for one thing. Lido has a definite edge there, like the difference between stepped and unstepped motorized grinders, for espresso you frequently find the need to be between steps.

With the Skerton's open top it's also a bit more of a pain to use, as vigorous grinding can cause some beans to slop over the side, so you have to collect them and put them back in. Little inconveniences like that can make the process of making coffee overly frustrating.

Sturdier construction on the Lido. You'll be able to pass it along to your grandkids, should they be coffee drinkers.

Plus, of course, the sheer geek factor, but for a beginner, that's negligible.

If you're only making yourself a few shots a week, the Skerton is probably okay (heck, I pull  4-5 doubles a day during the week with the PeDe or KyM hand grinders), but the little frustrations might add up if you were doing much more than that.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 2:19pm

Markarian Said:

Now I'm just a novice and I've never used the Lido, but when the Hario Skerton costs a mere $39 and features ceramic burrs that I know to be perfectly capable of wonderful, fluffy espresso, why would some on here recommend a $170 grinder...

Posted October 14, 2012 link

The Hario Skerton build quality is all over the place so getting one that grinds for espresso is a crap shoot - the Mini Mill is a better bet. If I want a crap shoot and have $40 - $50 to spend I would scour eBay for a Vintage hand mill.

The Skerton is a pain to use for me without serious modification, and even then the espresso is not what I consider wonderful using this grinder. Forget about using it for drip or press too. After a year of regular use it will need replacing since the plastic wear points will be worn.

The Lido investment is $170, and several years from now if you felt the urge to sell, the grinder would likely bring $125 or more pretty quick. During that time you would have very decent espresso along with a nice grinder for non espresso needs.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 2:56pm

These are some really good points. I only use the Hario when traveling and only used it at home for a month or two before going to a Baratza. I'm really curious how the speed is, compared to the Hario with the Lido. Does the Lido grind faster as well?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 5:32pm

I posted my answer to this question in that other thread yesterday.  If you want, I'd still be happy to send you the excerpts from the Lido development thread over on HB.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 6:55pm

The LIDO isn't a fast grinder--Doug at OE once called it a "nibbler" IIRC--but what it lacks in speed it makes up for in sheer awesomeness. That said, I'm not sure I'd buy one for espresso only. Re: espresso grinding, there have been a range of opinions expressed on how well-suited the LIDO is; my take on the issue overall is "pretty good." Again, that's with respect to espresso, specifically. For everything else I'd call it "excellent," very much the equal of the Preciso in every relevant way. Here's some light reading for you:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 8:06am

Mod note: Thread moved from Espresso: Espresso Machines to Espresso: Grinders - Espresso.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hario Skerton...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249505996704)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+