Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Vario vs Pasquini K2 grinder
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario vs...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bropic

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 12:10pm
Subject: Baratza Vario vs Pasquini K2 grinder

I am at a loss as I have thoroughly looked at both grinders and each has their own pros and cons.  I would love to have some expert advice on which way to go.

I have limited counter space and need a more compact model without sacrificing quality.  I need a flexible machine that will grind a great french press and espresso's on a daily basis.  I am trying to stay around the $500 price point.

I like the looks of the Pasquini - it appears a bit more solid and has much less plastic but the Vario seems more flexible and is getting great reviews.

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance for your help.

-Bropic
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 5:49pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Vario vs Pasquini K2 grinder

What is better, to look good, or to be good?

Choice is yours, but I'd opt for the Baratza EVERY time . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
chex
chex

Espresso: Q M Silvano, Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: 2xMazzer SJs, Major, WW2 era...
Drip: Hario pourover, presses,...
Roaster: Behmor, stovetop...
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 12:17am

I would personally choose the Vario too. The Vario should be easier to switch from french press to espresso, I would pass on the k2. Then again, for the price of a new k2, I would opt for a used Mazzer instead. Also, since i do own a couple Mazzers dedicated for espresso, as an upgrade for general grinding and travel, my top two choices include the Vario, and Vario-W.

Or how about a dedicated espresso grinder, and a box grinder for press? That's what I'm using now, and to be honest, old Zassenhaus grinders are a joy to use.
greekespresso
greekespresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 12:56am

bropic Said:

... I need a flexible machine that will grind a great french press and espresso's on a daily basis.  ...

Posted October 8, 2012 link

IMHO, I do not think there is such a machine.

I do not know how much limited is your space but my proposal for your case would be the purchase of two grinders. You can always store one inside your kitchen's cabinets, no need to have both on the bench.

For espresso
Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

and for press

Total value, around $520 which is within your budget. You can also check for reviews for the even more economical Baratza Encore.
I do not know, but it might be still better than Vario for press.

www.greekespresso.gr
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 8:14am

Sorry.  In my first response above, I focused in on the wrong thing.  I answered you with only this in mind:

bropic Said:

I like the looks of the Pasquini - it appears a bit more solid and has much less plastic but the Vario seems more flexible and is getting great reviews.

If that was the key factor, I'd stick with that response.  However, what I missed was this:

bropic Said:

I need a flexible machine that will grind a great french press and espresso's on a daily basis.  I am trying to stay around the $500 price point.

With THAT in mind, my reply is different:

The Pasquini K2 is INCAPABLE of grinding for press; it's an espresso grinder.  The Baratza Vario IS a grinder that can indeed grind from press through to espresso, and do a very fine job at both ends of the spectrum.  That is EXTREMELY UNUSUAL in any grinder.  Ergo, get the Baratza Vario.  

However, Christos (greekespresso) has a valid point, and -- despite limited counter space -- your best solution is probably two separate grinders.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario vs...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252678155899)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+