Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario settings
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario settings  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DariBer
DariBer
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: ECM Giotto (2005)' Gaggia...
Grinder: mahlköning Vario
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 10:24pm
Subject: Vario settings

I have Vario grinder and I can't get the settings right, dunno what I'm doing wrong.
I was wondering if anyone having a Vario could be kind and post their settings for a singe espresso.

What time, and both adjustments for how fine it should grind for a singe espresso.
 View Profile Link to this post
Nettaiya

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 11:45pm
Subject: Re: Vario settings

Are your shots running too fast and you need to slow it down? With a Vario you should be able to grind fine enough to choke your machine so nothing comes out.

If you cant do that, you need to turn the adjustment screw near where the coffee comes out (just a bit further towards the back of the grinder than the exit chute) until your burrs start to labor while the grinder is running. You can find videos of this procedure on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa30Kh35bOs)

Post more details about how your shots are flowing so people can better gauge whats wrong. List what you are doing from start to finish or film a video of yourself preparing and pulling a shot. What machine are you using to pull the shot?

Its also recommended to make doubles first until you get it down, it can be easier to get it right. You shouldnt be trying to grind by time at this point (setting time is the last step after you know your beans and machine like the back of your hand, and time changes as the beans age and as the climate in your house changes).

Instead get a scale accurate to .1 grams and grind by weight. There are plenty of guides on the forum to learn about dosing and grinding by weight, but first start with posting more details and calibrating your grinder.
greekespresso
greekespresso

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:56am

Dear Darijo welcome to CG forum.

Just to inform you, because I assume that you have Mahlkonig Vario and not Baratza, that if you perform the fine calibration of the grinder (an easy and common practice for the Baratzas) you might void its warranty.

"Fine calibration of Mahlkönig Vario voids warranty."

If your shots are running too fast and you cannot adjust any finer, make sure that you are using freshly roasted coffee (2 weeks at the most from roasting date) and not super market beans and then report in detail the issues you are having.

Nettaiya Said:

Post more details about how your shots are flowing so people can better gauge whats wrong. List what you are doing from start to finish or film a video of yourself preparing and pulling a shot. What machine are you using to pull the shot?

Posted October 4, 2012 link

+1

Nettaiya Said:

Its also recommended to make doubles first until you get it down...

+1

Nettaiya Said:

Instead get a scale accurate to .1 grams and grind by weight...

+1

www.greekespresso.gr
gordco
gordco

Grinder: Starbuck Barrista
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 8:47pm

DariBer Said:

I have Vario grinder and I can't get the settings right, dunno what I'm doing wrong.
I was wondering if anyone having a Vario could be kind and post their settings for a singe espresso.

What time, and both adjustments for how fine it should grind for a singe espresso.

I too, have the same question.  Just got a vario and Silvia today. Choked the sylia the first time at macro 2 and micro about the middle. Micro settings are now labeled from a to y. I think macro goes from 1 to 10, with 1 being the finest.

It would be nice to know a good starting point is, say mac 4 and mic j,for example.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 10:10pm

gordco Said:

I too, have the same question.  Just got a vario and Silvia today. Choked the sylia the first time at macro 2 and micro about the middle. Micro settings are now labeled from a to y. I think macro goes from 1 to 10, with 1 being the finest.

It would be nice to know a good starting point is, say mac 4 and mic j,for example.

Posted October 6, 2012 link

IMO, a lot of this depends on the age of the coffee, if it's freshly roasted or old beans, lighter or darker roasted, etc.
That said,  a properly adjusted Vario (and a proper espresso machine such as yours) should have the Macro either 1 down from the top, with the Micro down 3-4 steps from the bottom, or perhaps  2 Macro steps down, with the Micro up, 5-8 steps down from the top.
the First would be a general starting point.

I would do the fine adjustment as described on the Baratza website (the little 2mm screw above the rubber grommet) using the tool provided (that looks like an oil can..we US purchasers get it), and forget the warranty announcement. BTW, I've NEVER heard that the external 2mm adjustment procedure is in any way a warranty buster, with apologies to my good and respected friend GreekEspresso. If so, it could be that because Mahlkoenig is now making their OWN grinder might be a reason.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
balcy24

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn STX
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 8:10pm

I bought a new Vario a little less than a month ago. I found the sweet spot to be macro 1 micro G and 12.1 seconds to get 18 grams of coffee in my Crossland CC1. I haven't done any calibrating on it yet though. I wonder if it takes a little time to break in as I was choking out the flow out of the box with that grind setting but now it is fine.

Later,
Dave
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 9:06pm

balcy24 Said:

I bought a new Vario a little less than a month ago. I found the sweet spot to be macro 1 micro G and 12.1 seconds to get 18 grams of coffee in my Crossland CC1. I haven't done any calibrating on it yet though. I wonder if it takes a little time to break in as I was choking out the flow out of the box with that grind setting but now it is fine.

Later,
Dave

Posted October 12, 2012 link

Dave, I'd do the calibration as recommended. The procedure is in your manual, or you can find it posted at the Baratza website.
It will take you less than 5 minutes. and it's BEANLESS!
Doing so will give you a wider "sweet spot" so the grinder gives you better results as an all purpose grinder as well as espresso.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario settings  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327935934067)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+