Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder Pairing for Rocket Cellini - Upgrade Rancilio Rocky to ?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder Pairing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 7:27pm
Subject: Re: Grinder Pairing for Rocket Cellini - Upgrade Rancilio Rocky to ?

The duty cycle on my Mini E says 20 seconds on, 40 seconds off, which is perfect for making a double shot for home use. It
sounds scary, but it isn't. One of the reasons why this is, is because of the larger burrs. Don't worry, it has a thermal cut
out in case you go nuts and decide to grind a kilogram of coffee in one sitting. :-) (I've never done this, but I'm sure someone else has.)

I have no idea what the duty cycle on a Super Jolly is. Anyone care to elaborate?

If anything, two things I've noticed is that the motor doesn't sound like it is laboring when it is grinding and it is much quieter
than my Rocky when it is grinding. Even my wife noticed how much quieter it is.

I think the most ideal thing to do is go to an equipment supply place and listen to both the Vario and the Mazzer grinding
and let your ears decide what you'd rather prefer to hear every morning when you grind your shot.

I personally do like the electronics of the doserless type A version. Once I got the seconds dialed in, bang.. Just press
the double shot button and no fuss, no muss.. I only had to weigh my shots when I was dialing it in.

Good luck your decision. I don't regret spending the extra money at all.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
chex
chex
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Q M Silvano, Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: 2xMazzer SJs, Major, WW2 era...
Drip: Hario pourover, presses,...
Roaster: Behmor, stovetop...
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 7:47pm

qualin Said:

The duty cycle on my Mini E says 20 seconds on, 40 seconds off, which is perfect for making a double shot for home use. It
sounds scary, but it isn't. One of the reasons why this is, is because of the larger burrs. Don't worry, it has a thermal cut
out in case you go nuts and decide to grind a kilogram of coffee in one sitting. :-) (I've never done this, but I'm sure someone else has.)

I have no idea what the duty cycle on a Super Jolly is. Anyone care to elaborate?

If anything, two things I've noticed is that the motor doesn't sound like it is laboring when it is grinding and it is much quieter
than my Rocky when it is grinding. Even my wife noticed how much quieter it is.

I think the most ideal thing to do is go to an equipment supply place and listen to both the Vario and the Mazzer grinding
and let your ears decide what you'd rather prefer to hear every morning when you grind your shot.

I personally do like the electronics of the doserless type A version. Once I got the seconds dialed in, bang.. Just press
the double shot button and no fuss, no muss.. I only had to weigh my shots when I was dialing it in.

Good luck your decision. I don't regret spending the extra money at all.

Posted October 8, 2012 link

Here's what i found straight from the manual:

"IN THE VERSIONS WITH SINGLE-PHASE MOTORS,THE APPLIANCE CAN BE ALLOWED TO WORK FOR A MAXIMUM OF 30 MINUTES, AFTER WHICH IT MUST BE TURNED OFF AND ALLOWED TO COOL DOWN.
In order to achieve good grinding, it is nonetheless recommended to operate the appliance at intervals,allowing it to operate for no more than 10-15 minutes at a time"

Either way i can see no reason why anyone would need to run any commercial grinder for more than a minute or so for home use.
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 8:42pm

chex Said:

"IN THE VERSIONS WITH SINGLE-PHASE MOTORS,THE APPLIANCE CAN BE ALLOWED TO WORK FOR A MAXIMUM OF 30 MINUTES, AFTER WHICH IT MUST BE TURNED OFF AND ALLOWED TO COOL DOWN."

Posted October 8, 2012 link

OK, a little off topic... it takes me about 12 seconds to grind 16 grams of coffee. That's 1.3... grams per second. There are 1800 seconds in 30 minutes. Thereby, in that time I could grind 2.34 Kilograms of espresso.
That equates to 146.25 double shots of espresso. A double shot is 2 fluid ounces. That is 8.65 liters, or 2.38 gallons of espresso. That espresso would cost me $84.24 to make.

Now, I figure if I'm drinking that much espresso in the span of a day, I think it would be a good idea to go to a drug rehab clinic... If I didn't end up dying from it first! :-)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 9:20pm

My remark about the Major was not very clear really. I can tell you first hand that I prefer the results from the larger burr on the Major vs the smaller burr set on the Super Jolly or Vario I have owned them all. I suspect if I ever find a Royal I may well prefer it over the Major because while they share the same burr the RPMs are considerably lower on the Royal. The Jolly and the Mini have the same size burr as each other. I have seen some post that indicate there is a difference the burr that is shipped in a new Jolly vs a Mini though I don't know that first hand. I actually prefer the results from a flat burr over conical burr, to each his own.

I have sort of a bastard approach to grinding. I don't single dose but I do grind just enough for my shot then sweep the chute and doser clean. I freeze then thaw my beans in really small batches about enough for a day. I keep a small column of beans in the hopper. When they start doing the popcorn thing i add another little batch of beans. My thing with the electronic doserless is you really need to use the antistatic screen which relies on there being a fair amount of coffee left in the shoot from shot to shot or you have to take the lid off and sweep funnel out every time anyway. For the way i use the ROI is just not there for me on the electronic doserless. I am afraid if i wanted walk up push the button and pull the shot grinder I would have to go with the K30 or maybe a K8 Fresh, again totally to each his own.  All grinders are a compromise in one way or another.

The book for the Major says 30 on then cool down like the Super Jolly. If you get a Major or Jolly in good working order odds are you will die or develop a medical condition and have to give up coffee long before the grinder goes home to glory.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
chex
chex

Espresso: Q M Silvano, Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: 2xMazzer SJs, Major, WW2 era...
Drip: Hario pourover, presses,...
Roaster: Behmor, stovetop...
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 11:58pm

Either way, whatever Mazzer grinder you decide to purchase (mini-e, SJ, or Major) you'll won't have to worry about upgrading it in the future. As much as I love Baratza grinders, the Vario by all means is a home unit and cannot compare to the reliability of a mazzer. That said, I doubt you will have issues if you go for a Vario, but what about 5 or 10 years of constant daily use? That said; this afternoon I was lucky to have Wayne (CalBlackSmith) stop by NAS Lemoore for his son (my friend's) reenlistment and had the pleasure of some hands on time with three of his Majors. Two of the three haven't been touched at all and the third fully restored by him. What is amazing about these machines, even the beaten to death machines still runs true; all it really needs is an extensive cleaning, paint, and new burr set. Tomorrow I'm tempted to pull a shot from the gnarliest one and see how it performs.

chex: 56980_4792099524518_1142936085_o.jpg
(Click for larger image)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 6:28am

It was an honor to visit you Steve, I have nothing but love for anyone who serves.
It is very true that those Majors did not have any love for many years, the one on the chair, must have had a 1/4 pound of ground coffee caked on to every working surface.
I brought the grinders up so he could play with them a bit and he was impressed enough with them that when we left on Wed, the grinder in the pic on the chair, stayed with him. I am glad it went to someone who will value it and show it a bit of love that it has not had, for a VERY long time.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder Pairing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27873301506)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+