Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Preciso and Rancilio Silvia
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rpaulo

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 11:14am
Subject: Baratza Preciso and Rancilio Silvia

I opened up my Baratza Preciso and recalibrated it in the finest setting, but I still need to dial 2A to grind fine enough for the Silvia. Is there something else I should be doing? I'm tamping and measuring 14g of coffee in the double basket.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 11:45am
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso and Rancilio Silvia

You may want to read the trouble shooting section on Baratza.com.  That leaves little room to adjust.  I had a refurb that ran at about 10+micro for a Gaggia set at 9 bar, and now a replacement refurb that they just calibrated and told me correctly that it would grind for most machines between 14 - 10.  I am at 12 - 13+micro for my Gaggia depending on beans.

There have been a few thread on CG about reasons for grind difficulties other that calibration.  

I have Gaggia, but IIRC, most users are adjusting the double dose up.  I am at about 17 - 18 adjusted to where the screen center screw leevs an indent on the wet puck and does not indent the dry puck. That way it does not interfere with installing the PF.  That should slow your brew and cause you to run more coarse a grind.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
rpaulo

Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 1:25pm

OK, I just did the troubleshooting process and everything checked out OK. I tried again on setting 10 and it was too coarse (check the picture below, it looks too coarse to me, that's 14g of coffee but not tamped). The way I see it, the calibration had no impact on the final result since when we got the machine it was calibrated in the most coarse setting and we didn't see any significant result from the calibration.

rpaulo: photo.JPG
(Click for larger image)
pilot25

Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 3:04pm

You are having the same problem everyone else is having with the Preciso.  Call Baratza and get a replacement.

I have your same setup and am set at 8Gish with the Silvia.  I have never opened it up to recalibrate so it is set at the factory setting of neutral.
D4F

Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 4:34pm

Not sure what you mean that everything checked out.  Burr holder not broken, adjustment ring firm and glued down?  Normally I would have also said to just call Baratza, but the weekend.  If it is new enough, Baratza may just send you one, and otherwise help you walk through all of the possible causes, not just calibration.  It may need a part(s) as you have done the calibration.  There have been problems with the upper burr holder and with the adjustment ring.  You will not necessarilly find something to fix, but may diagnose the problem for when you call on Monday.

D4F also at
rpaulo

Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 6:10pm

D4F Said:

Not sure what you mean that everything checked out.  Burr holder not broken, adjustment ring firm and glued down

Posted September 29, 2012 link

I was talking about the following guide: Click Here (www.baratza.com)

I'll call them on monday. Thanks.
rpaulo

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 1:12pm

A replacement unit is on the way. :-)
rpaulo

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 8:13am

The grinder arrived yesterday and it's working great. We're now using macro settings 8 - 10 and coffee tastes pretty good :-)
D4F

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 10:09am

Thanks for posting the follow up.  Good to have everything working again.

D4F also at
rpaulo

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 10:03am

Thanks for your help!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.244177103043)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+