Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Your thoughts on a portable electric burr grinder?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Your thoughts on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
cybrown

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 11:39am
Subject: Your thoughts on a portable electric burr grinder?

I'm an engineer and a coffeegeek, and I've been repeatedly frustrated by the lack of true portable burr grinders. I went to the beach a few years ago after building up an extreme coffee addiction, and of course I had to bring a small chemex, aeropress, and grinder with me. I bought a JavaGrind hand-crank burr grinder for the task, but in my experience it's pretty terrible. It's extremely hard to crank, and also hard to hold. It's difficult to stabilize and I almost immediately put it away and went back to an electric blade grinder for my vacation coffee.  I'm told the Hario manual burr grinder is better, but haven't tried it yet.

I'm interested in small niche hardware companies, and I'm wondering whether the coffee community has any interest in an electric portable burr grinder. I'm thinking something similar in size and shape to the ubiquitous spice/coffee blade grinder, but as a burr grinder instead. My simple question to you is, would you buy this? If there's enough interest I will put together a prototype and start a kickstarter campaign to build a better burr grinder.
 View Profile Link to this post
DavidG
DavidG

Espresso: cimbali M32 | pavoni pub1
Grinder: preciso | kyocera cm45 |...
Vac Pot: sunbeam c30c | yama +...
Drip: ccd | woodneck | chemex
Roaster: wbp1 | wepp | bm/hg
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 1:37pm
Subject: Re: Your thoughts on a portable electric burr grinder?

For context, in the grinder department, I have a Baratza Virtuoso, a Kyocera CM-45 ceramic hand grinder, a Rancilio MD-40 and several whirly-blades.  I am soon buying a Virtuoso Preciso, with the intention of selling the Virtuoso and Rancilio.  I grind for press, cupping, chemex, woodneck/pourover, siphon, espresso and turkish.

When I travel (on the road or to the office), I rely on the hand mill (for brewed coffee--no espresso grinding at work).  When at home, the Virtuoso is the main work horse.  Rancilio for espresso, of course.  I would be hard pressed to think that there is a need (for me) for a device between the Virtuoso and the hand mill.  The only circumstance that I can think of would be travel or office where I would need to grind a volume beyond the capacity of the hand grinder.  And, the situation would also have to be travel by car--a motorized grinder would be too heavy and bulky for business/air travel.

Moreover, you face serious competition.  As far as the goal of building a better grinder, Baratza already has done this--to critical acclaim.  My advice: you can't beat them, so join them.  That is, for your travel needs purchase a refurb Baratza Encore, detach the hopper and haul it around with you (unless you plan on grinding for espresso on the road).  Or, explore the newer ceramic hand mills or the Pharos hand mill from Orphan Espresso.

I hope this is somewhat helpful... I could certainly be wrong (i was about the usefulness of the crazy computing-tablet-thingy that Apple thought it could sell me... and did).

Cheers,
David
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 2:00pm

I see two big challenges. First is burr quality. There are already burr grinders about that size from Capresso and others. They have cheap stamped burrs and are more "crushers" than "grinders". Quality burrs are forged or milled (if steel) and will add a lot to the cost and form factor (ie. size). If your design can't grind to the quality of the Preciso at minimum, or to the Lido or Pharos, It's not likely to appeal to this particular niche crowd (I could be wrong, but whatever market research you do can establish that).

Second challenge is motor power. Pro burr grinders tend to be around a half horsepower, mostly, as far as I understand, for the starting torque. A grinder that's not grinding constantly day in and day out probably doesn't need that much power, but even if you drop to a 100 watt (~1/6 horsepower) motor, that's still enough size and weight that portability might be compromised.

Overcome those two hurdles, and you might have something. If you can keep it at the right price point, that is.
cybrown

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 2:10pm

DavidG Said:

When I travel (on the road or to the office), I rely on the hand mill (for brewed coffee--no espresso grinding at work).

Posted September 24, 2012 link

How do you like it? What I'm envisioning is something around that size, or smaller, but with a motor to remove the tedious hand grinding. I want to be able to hold it over a filter and just press a thumb button for quick grinding. That pharos hand grinder is enormous!
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 5:49pm

I use the OE Lido for travel, and frankly don't find it that tedious when making single servings.  It takes me less time to grind the beans and get them in my Aeropress than it does to boil 8 oz of water in a microwave, and it's pretty easy to grind as long as I'm using something with a Full City roast.  Dave Stephens did a great review of the Lido, and put it's espresso grind quality on par with a Mazzer Mini. Of course, I'm not using it for espresso, but I find the quality for Aeropress great as well. The Lido is less than $200, and although tall, fits in my backpack, in its own carrying case.  You might want to go read about the engineering that Doug and Barbara put into the Lido on Home Barista.  There's a long thread where they describe the entire engineering process in multiple posts as they went through the process.  It'll give you some insight as to what factors you have to consider to get the grind right, whether the unit is motorized or not.  If you can produce a grinder that is as good as a Lido, in a similar or smaller size, with a motor, for a similar cost, you'll probably be able to sell it.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Your thoughts on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216156005859)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+