Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Changing setting to finer on Vario
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Changing setting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Chanty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 10:26am
Subject: Changing setting to finer on Vario

I'm confused.  I was told that when you want the beans to be ground finer on the Vario, you MUST have beans in the grinder and have the grinder running to adjust finer.  I heard when making coarser, there is no need to have grinder running.   Reason being, when adjusting finer, you are bringing the burrs closer together where they could be touching & without having beans in & machine running--you could wreck the burrs.  Help.
 View Profile Link to this post
Mandheling

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Instantaneo
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 3:28pm
Subject: Re: Changing setting to finer on Vario

Chanty Said:

I'm confused.  I was told that when you want the beans to be ground finer on the Vario, you MUST have beans in the grinder and have the grinder running to adjust finer.  I heard when making coarser, there is no need to have grinder running.   Reason being, when adjusting finer, you are bringing the burrs closer together where they could be touching & without having beans in & machine running--you could wreck the burrs.  Help.

Posted September 20, 2012 link

You should run any grinder (not just the Vario) when adjusting finer as you are reducing the gap between the burrs. This is because there will almost certainly be some grinds left on the burrs from the previous setting which you'd be trying to crush with the adjuster mechanism (which it's obviously not designed to do). Running the grinder allows the burrs to clear the coarser grounds as you go.

It doesn't matter if you're adjusting coarser as by definition you're increasing the gap between the burrs so you don't have to worry about the leftover grinds from the previous (finer) setting in the grind pathway.

Running the grinder with beans in the hopper won't stop you adjusting so fine the burrs touch (assuming your grinder can adjust that far), but working out the point the burrs just meet is a useful baseline for dialling in your grinder....
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 3:34pm

Not how I have ever heard it.

If beans are in the hopper then you must run the grinder while adjusting finer so that debris won't jamb up the adjustment of going finer. Recalibrating the burrs would be difficult if you couldn't adjust finer without beans as well as very messy.  Empty there is nothing to jamb up the burrs.

Yes the burrs will be closer together while the hopper is running empty then when running with a volume of beans but no damage is being done when the burrs are even chirping when properly calibrated and the hopper is empty. Baratza's website has plenty of info and how to's on all their grinders.
Chanty

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 3:55pm

Please forgive me if I am not "getting" it....long day.   Bottom line is this:   I KNOW you should run the grinder while tuning finer.  I KNOW it is not necessary to run the grinder when going coaser--because the burrs are going further apart when going coarser.
My question is this:   Can you RUN the grinder without ANY beans in it to go finer or must you have beans in the grinder when you run it.   I just do not want to wreck my grinder by running it with NO beans in it when I go finer.  Thanks.
greekespresso
greekespresso

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 10:12pm

Because I always grind per dose, I change to finer with the grinder running without any beans in it. No problems so far and I cannot see any reason to have any by doing so.
I think there is a post in this forum (I will try to find it) where someone had a direct communication with Baratza people and was told that adjusting finer with the grinder running and no beans in it was normal practice.

Update:
Here is the link:
"Re: Vario Won't Grind Coarse"

www.greekespresso.gr
Chanty

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 11:39pm

Thanks GreekEspresso,
What you posted has helped me greatly.  I read the link.  Bottom line is it appears if one wants the burrs to actually grind finer, you must run the grinder WITHOUT beans when tuning in finer.  Thanks again!
greekespresso
greekespresso

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 12:39am

Hi Carol,
I would not put it as a MUST routine, just an alternative one if it works for you.

The only "drawback" of this approach is that the final true distance of the burrs will be set only when you are grinding WITH beans in it and that is because you need the beans to force and lock back the bottom burr to its true position. Consider the lever settings as stops which prevent the bottom burr from being pushed back from the force of the beans (if my understanding of the adjustment mechanism is correct).
I think that is what Rob tried to explain you above.

What all the above means in practice? Nothing really important other than that your second shot might be faster (due to slightly coarser grind) compared to the first one which was immediately run after the adjustment. Personally, to tackle this, I grind and purge 2g of coffee if the adjustment is more that 3-4 micro clicks and then proceed as usually.

If all the above add to your confusion, just ignore them, and go finer with the grinder empty. It does not make harm and saves you some coffee as well.

www.greekespresso.gr
FrankyD

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/Kyocera...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 6:29pm

Good to know, thanks for the link and the info.

I had the same questions, but haven't had time to figure it out!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Changing setting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253163099289)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+