Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
What to Buy? Vario or Preciso?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > What to Buy?...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jelliott88

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 7:19am
Subject: What to Buy? Vario or Preciso?

I am looking to buy a grinder for chemex/v60/aero/epresso. I have basically narrowed it down to a Baratza thanks to many's recommendations on this site. I've been trying to decide between the Vario and the Preciso for a couple weeks now.

I weigh out the coffee and only grind what I'm using at the time. I switch between drip and espresso every morning. Therefore I don't think i'd get much use from the Vario interface with the timers for different methods since, i'll be weighing it out and using it up each time anyways. since that isn't a factor at all (and in fact, the timer on the Preciso would be more than sufficient if not better for me to crank and walk away until the beans are ground) would it still be worth the extra $150 for the vario's grinding capabilities?

I know the ceramic burrs are supposedly better, but with the micro-adjustments available on the Preciso, it just seems hard to justify the extra cash. Any input out there?

I'm hoping to finally pull the trigger on this decision soon. Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 7:47am
Subject: Re: What to Buy? Vario or Preciso?

The Preciso will handle drip grinds better than the Vario. That's not to say that the Vario's drip grinds are bad, but rather the Preciso's conical burr edges out the flat ceramic burrs. Both grind for espresso. My vote, based on your criteria, would be the Preciso.
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 9:04am

One point to note for the Preciso: Mark Prince noted that repeatability for adjustments after switching to another grind (say, from espresso to drip and back again) were unreliable.  There was another thread here recently about someone who couldn't get repeatability without a replacement, and I don't know if they've fixed that particular problem.

Another point for the Preciso: it is superior to the Vario for all non-espresso grinding-- at least in my experience.  I own both.  The Vario produces more fines, which tend to plug up even a normal drip grind.  Even after a replacement, I still had the same problem.

Donald Varona
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 9:42am

svyerkgeniiy Said:

Another point for the Preciso: it is superior to the Vario for all non-espresso grinding-- at least in my experience.  I own both.  The Vario produces more fines, which tend to plug up even a normal drip grind.  Even after a replacement, I still had the same problem.

Posted September 5, 2012 link

The Vario is primarily an espresso grinder as the ceramic burr set is designed to produce an espresso bi-modal grind. Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Have a look at Mark Prince's technical white paper on the Baratza grinder lineup.

The link to follow is on the Baratza web site & is a pdf file download: Click Here (www.baratza.com)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 4:52pm

It reads to me like you already know the Preciso is the better option for you, but wanted some confirmation.  You can also use that $150 that you save with a Preciso to buy an Esatto platform. That will help you not have to pre-weigh beans.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > What to Buy?...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225400924683)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+