Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 174 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 10:30pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

mrelephant Said:

I grind mostly light roasts no problems and have ample adjustment left to grind finer, if need be.

Posted December 4, 2012 link

Is this comment in reference to the Vario grinder? It's common knowledge the Vario has a large espresso grinding scale available to owners.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
apfeltorte

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 10:46pm

IMAWriter Said:

Kat, welcome to CG.
AFAIK, (and I own a Vario-W) the ceramic butt is the preferred burr for espresso, as well as all around grinding.
The metal burr is designed specifically for those doing pour-over, vac and French press.
I am happy to stand corrected if this is not so.
Perhaps Kyle or Kyra will weigh in here.
You could also go to the Baratza web site for more information, or perhaps PM a member using the metal burr. Most of us are OK with a PM now and then!

Thanks for the welcome :) some more looking around and talking to a reseller confirms that the Vario-W comes with steel burrs here in Oz, but it looks like they can be reasonably easily replaced...though some part of me doesn't want to buy a brand new grinder that needs immediate modification...hmm.

Didn't want to go the pm road as a no-post newbie :) but thanks for the offer.
 View Profile Link to this post
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 10:51pm

kat,

since you're an aussie, are the varios you are looking at sold under the Baratza name, or mahlkoenig?  i have a US-spec vario that came with ceramic burrs.  i also hang out on the aussie, coffeesnobs.com.au forums, and i feel like i recall that the mahlkoenig varios are the ones with the ceramic burrs that you want for espresso.  not sure if you have already covered that angle, so i thought i would throw that out there.

BTW, i used to live in melbourne, kooyong actually.  i went to scotch college.  HUGE cricket fan and v8 supercars.  but i am in fact a yank.

-peter
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 11:02pm

Peter, thanks for the word up as regards the apparent differences between the Mahlkoenig branded Vario v the model Kat has perused.
I would think she could obtain the ceramic burr model through several resources down under? Perhaps your aforementioned Coffeesnobs.com would be of help?
Kat, I can vouch for the fact that the Vario, and Vario_W with the ceramic burr does a bang-up job with all grinding chores.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
apfeltorte

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 11:21pm

IMAWriter Said:

Peter, thanks for the word up as regards the apparent differences between the Mahlkoenig branded Vario v the model Kat has perused.
I would think she could obtain the ceramic burr model through several resources down under? Perhaps your aforementioned Coffeesnobs.com would be of help?
Kat, I can vouch for the fact that the Vario, and Vario_W with the ceramic burr does a bang-up job with all grinding chores.

Thanks to both of you! After day of searching around I've come up with the following:
The Varios are sold under the Mahlkönig brand and the Vario-W is hard to come by. However, when it is sold, it seems to be sold as per the German specs (I.e. with steel burrs). Haven't figured out how easy it is to get the ceramic burrs as parts (like for example on the Baratza U.S. website).

If I could just buy the American Baratza version I think I would - cheaper and ceramic burrs :) oh electricity...

I'm in contact with a few mahlkoenig sellers, and sponsors from the coffeesnobs forum, so we'll see. Would be a good X-Mas gift :)

Thanks again,
Kat

Ps Kooyong? Scotch college as a yank? That must have been interesting... ;)
scruzloose33

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 2:23pm

The Baratza Vario is my first grinder, so excuse the newbie question.  I have seen many different recommendations across several threads in regards to grinder cleaning habits, but I was curious as to what most people do with their Vario.  I typically make a few espressos in the morning and don't use the grinder for the rest of the day.  Should I just be brushing it out on a daily basis?  Are there regularly recommended cleaning suggestions that people follow (e.g., using the Grindz cleaner every few weeks)?  What should I expect for longer-term maintenance on the grinder?  Do I need to take it apart to do a more extensive cleaning of the burrs once per month?

Thanks,
Shane
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 2:58pm

scruzloose33 Said:

The Baratza Vario is my first grinder, so excuse the newbie question.  I have seen many different recommendations across several threads in regards to grinder cleaning habits, but I was curious as to what most people do with their Vario.  I typically make a few espressos in the morning and don't use the grinder for the rest of the day.  Should I just be brushing it out on a daily basis?  Are there regularly recommended cleaning suggestions that people follow (e.g., using the Grindz cleaner every few weeks)?  What should I expect for longer-term maintenance on the grinder?  Do I need to take it apart to do a more extensive cleaning of the burrs once per month?

Thanks,
Shane

Posted December 6, 2012 link

Shane, welcome to CG!
I posted a long cleaning post on this thread, not sure if it's searchable.
No need to brush out, but if it's a new grinder, once you've done 4-5 lbs, you might want to do a thorough cleaning, unless all is well. if you see no sudden change in the pour, just remove the upper burr, as instructed in the manual.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
scruzloose33

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 9:23pm

IMAWriter Said:

Shane, welcome to CG!
I posted a long cleaning post on this thread, not sure if it's searchable.
No need to brush out, but if it's a new grinder, once you've done 4-5 lbs, you might want to do a thorough cleaning, unless all is well. if you see no sudden change in the pour, just remove the upper burr, as instructed in the manual.

Posted December 6, 2012 link

Thanks for the info.  I was expecting to have to do much more maintenance, so that is good news since I am coming from the convenient (yet inferior) world of super automatics.

My wife has not been thrilled with the learning curve of the new machine, so I am trying to get it dialed in as soon as possible before we she starts begging me to go back to a Jura.  My new setup is a Breville Dual Boiler with my Vario and I am really struggling to get my shots right.  I am trying to eliminate as many variables as possible (using 8 day old Intelligentsia beans, using an Espro tamper for consistent tamping pressure, weighing 18 grams of beans for each double shot in the Breville), but my shots are very inconsistent and I am really burning through good beans.  The other day I finally got the shot time to around 33 seconds (with 8 second preinfusion), but just two days later I am choking the machine with the same grind settings (one down on the macro and near the middle on the micro).  I tried moving the macro down to the 3rd setting and the double shot time was still over 50 seconds.  I didn't have the scale and the Espro tamper the other day, so I assume I and just using a different dose size and tamp pressure.  It just seems odd to be on the 3rd macro setting and still being too fine of a grind.  Is anyone using the 4th macro setting or is something else potentially wrong?

Thanks,
Shane
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 10:01pm

I would suggest you invite yourself to the BDB owners thread!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
scruzloose33

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 5:57am

Thanks, Rob.  I thought it might be a more appropriate question here since I believe my problem is getting the grind right from the Vario. Does each espresso machine have fairly different expectations for grind size? I just assumed similar grinds would be needed from any machine with similar specs.

I will pop over to the BDB thread and see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Shane
showing page 174 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.349622964859)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+