Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Soaking Bottom Burr While Still In Carrier, Mounted on Motor?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Soaking Bottom...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Riviera Eagle, '91 Livietta,...
Grinder: Vario, KA ProLine, Sozen...
Drip: Clever, V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 10:10am
Subject: Soaking Bottom Burr While Still In Carrier, Mounted on Motor?

Hey all,

I know this is a dubious idea, but before I go with the screw extractor method of removing stuck bottom-burr screws, I was wondering if it's too tremendously ill-advised to attempt to soak the entire bottom burr carrier while it's still assembled on the drive shaft inside the burr chamber...

The upper burr carrier is removed and the entire motor & bottom burr assembly is also already removed from the casing. It's just a free-standing column now, more or less. It seems quite doable to stand the whole thing upside-down in a shallow bowl of hot JoeGlo solution that would only reach just high enough to submerge the bottom burr assembly without any liquid even reaching the boundary of the burr chamber (i.e. nothing electrical or internal to the motor). Then I'd keep it upside-down and standing on a towel for a few seconds to dry, then have another go at the stuck screws....  Is it too risky? Would harmful liquid inevitably seep down the shaft into the motor?

Also -- there's no concern about certain metals (brass, aluminum, steel) reacting with JoeGlo, is there?

Thanks again, everybody!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 1:57pm
Subject: Re: Soaking Bottom Burr While Still In Carrier, Mounted on Motor?

Are the screw heads still intact or are they stripped?
If the slots are still good, pressure and impact go a long way toward moving stuck screws. Press down FIRMLY on the screw driver, apply a twisting motion on the screw (it will not move but you need the twisting pressure) then tap the end of the screw driver with a small hammer. The combo of pressure and shock will loosen things you thought were frozen for ever.

There is even a tool to do this, it is called an impact screwdriver,
Click Here (www.sears.com)

These are wonderful tools, just put the PROPER SIZED screw driver head in the slot, apply twisting motion to hold the driver in place, then tap with a hammer. The driver is designed to apply a downward impact AND a twisting force. GREAT TOOL

There are other makers, this one was just handy.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 5:20pm

I've seen a lot of recommendations for using an impact driver in instances such as this, but they're always hedged with words of warning, and so since I don't already have one I figured I'd try other things. But now of course I'm interested. Is an impact driver always its own thing, or is there an impact bit that can be used with a regular power drill? Is an impact driver really so versatile a tool as to warrant the investment for a generally non-handy guy like me? A $9 strap wrench was one thing, but now we're into the power tool territory... (full disclosure: I'm not hard to convince.)

The slotted screw heads are still decent but are breaking down all too easily, and I was already thinking of deleting this post as I was already abandoning hope that any such crazy maneuver for soaking the bottom burrs would be at all worthwhile. I soaked the upper burr carrier in JoeGlo all day for the second time and still those screws won't budge. I figured it was time for something more proactive.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 6:08am

There is no bit that can go into a power driver. An impact driver used DOWN pressure at THE SAME TIME AS THE TORQUE, so the chance of stripping the screw head is minimumized. A bit in a powered screwdriver does not provide the down force.
The link I provided is not that expensive ($21.24) and I DID offer you a manual way to sort of get the same affect.
Pressure and vibration will move the world, either on it's own..... not so much.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 3:32pm

Aaah, my mistake, I failed to grasp that the link was to a manual impact driver; my eyes were drawn to the more expensive power drivers and I assumed the featured item was a close-up of a bit. The manual one's certainly no big deal and well worth trying, I agree. I was reluctant to do the screwdriver/hammer combo action as my go-to screwdriver is the kind that ratchets back & has a plastic handle, so, not the best for this application.

I may still end up getting drawn into a power tool... But I can at least start out in the direction of a hardware store with the intent to spend less than $25.
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 6:26pm

Have you tried heat? Warming the burr carrier with a heat gun or hair dryer (on high) should soften whatever is on the screw threads.

John
SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 7:41am

Hi John,
I've thought about that, I've seen it suggested (perhaps by you?) in other threads, I just don't have a heat gun or a functioning hairdryer. (Although at least the latter is something I could go out and pick up and be greeted with excitement instead of an eye-roll from my partner.) I did pour boiling water on the upper carrier along with some JoeGlo and let it soak for a while, although it was only slightly warm by the time I got back to the screws. I was gravitating towards trying a manual impact driver as suggested above until I spoke with a carpenter that's a regular at my cafe. He said I should go with PB Blaster penetrating catalyst, and when I expressed doubt that this would be food safe, he recommended I clean it up with acetone and "don't be a chemophobe".

Frankly I'm comfortable with my level of chemophobia, but now I'm thinking that there probably is a food-safe solvent of some kind that I should try before resorting to new hardware. Or perhaps in conjunction with new hardware. I've read general recommendations for using "penetrating oils" in this kind of situation, but if anyone has a specific product recommendation, I'm all eyes.... Thanks!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Soaking Bottom...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232574939728)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+