Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
ESPRESSO GRINDER FOR REUSABLE NESPRESSO CAPSULES
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > ESPRESSO GRINDER...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 9:28pm
Subject: Re: ESPRESSO GRINDER FOR REUSABLE NESPRESSO CAPSULES

Coffeenoobie Said:

They are printers of the coffee world, cheap to buy expensive to feed...

Posted September 10, 2012 link

Excellent!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 8:35am

russel Said:

I may be wrong seeing that I don't have much experience with Nespresso, but I think the burr outlet on Baratza grinders is pretty small.  The OP could probably just remove the catch bin on a Virtuoso or Preciso and hold the reusable capsule under the outlet...any Baratza owners who also use Nespresso machines care to confirm?

Posted September 11, 2012 link

^^^ You're right. I just held a Capsul'in capsule under my Preciso's chute, and it looks like your suggestion would work. I'd probably still prefer to grind into the bin and then "dip" the capsule into it if I were the OP, but that's personal preference.

To the commentariat, you might consider keeping in mind that using freshly ground coffee in a Nespresso system is a fun way to start exploring "coffee" more seriously without upgrading the brewer. Single-serve is often a launching pad for this sort of exploration; it certainly was in my case. Personally, re: espresso, I started with Nespresso ($20 via Craigslist) and then ultimately upgraded--first to a Gaggia Carezza and, shortly thereafter, to a Gaggia Classic. Bought all the necessary accessories, experimented with probably 30 different specialty coffee blends and single-origins, tweaked the machine's OPV using my own home-built gauge, and...then fell off the wagon after a year and stepped away from espresso entirely. Why? A new baby in the house didn't help. Also, a Trifecta took the Classic's place on the counter. I'd always been more into brewed coffee anyway. This is why I don't judge. On the rare occasion that I feel like having an espresso drink, I either go to a great local shop or pull a Nespresso shot in the basement. And nobody can tell me I'm less of a "coffee geek" when I do the latter. I know the difference, but at the moment I simply don't care.
 View Profile Link to this post
bbqbrisket
bbqbrisket
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Pony (unic)
Grinder: Saeco crappola
Vac Pot: the original from the '50s
Drip: absolutly disgusting
Roaster: Illy, but I can't afford it.
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 9:19am

jbviau Said:

To the commentariat, you might consider keeping in mind that using freshly ground coffee in a Nespresso system is a fun way to start exploring "coffee" more seriously without upgrading the brewer. Single-serve is often a launching pad for this sort of exploration; it certainly was in my case.

Posted September 12, 2012 link

Interesting comment.  As you can tell I have been a member here for a few years.  Have used many many commercial machines since I was once in the cafe and restaurant business for 15 years as well as owning a coffee roastery.  What I have found for me is consistancy of the product is paramount.
My cousin introduced me to his Nespresso machine about 4 years ago and I could not have been more impressed with the quality that came out of it as well as the Aeroccino.  Now that I am aware of what I consider the best espresso machine in the world, Synesso, I have concluded that the Nespresso
takes all the aggravation out of achieving that consistent brew and of course the maintenance and service that normally goes along with it.
I cannot wait until they come out with a "doppio" version.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 10:04am

Ah, so launching pad or *landing* pad then! Interesting. I wasn't referring to you, specifically, earlier; honestly, I didn't think you'd check back in. Which refillable capsules are you using?
bbqbrisket
bbqbrisket
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Pony (unic)
Grinder: Saeco crappola
Vac Pot: the original from the '50s
Drip: absolutly disgusting
Roaster: Illy, but I can't afford it.
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 10:16am

jbviau Said:

Ah, so launching pad or *landing* pad then! Interesting.
Which refillable capsules are you using?

Emohome Generation 4
i am impressed with them...easy to close and clean.
DanoM

Espresso: NS Oscar, '84 La Pavoni Pro,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario, La Pavoni PGC
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 4:06pm

bbqbrisket Said:

Emohome Generation 4
i am impressed with them...easy to close and clean.

Jumping in with observations on Nespresso for this old topic.

Last summer $tarbuck$ had me market test their Verismo machine.  It was an interesting experience.  All of the burnt, extra-dark roasted espresso you would ever care to drink!  LOL  Their milk pods were horrific and the coffee was always bitter, but it lit the espresso bug in me again.  While testing their machine I refilled some of the pods with my own ground coffee and found that I could make better espresso with it than I could get at $tarbuck$, but I guess that's not much of an accomplishment.

I'd toyed with getting a machine for years, but the wife just won't use a real espresso machine so that was always the drawback.  I started researching pod machines, because the wife will use that no problem, and ended up using the market research funds that $tarbuck$ gave me to buy a Nespresso Citiz & Milk and the first set of pods.  After that I ordered 3x10 packs of the EmoHome Generation 4 pods for Nespresso for $72!  I too have been very happy with these pods.  They are relatively easy to fill and not too bad to clean.

My filling method:  Dump the fresh espresso ground coffee into a small Glad-ware container.  Using a clean pod I press the coffee against the side of the container into the pod with just enough force to cause the coffee to stick and mound above the pod opening.  Use a popsicle stick to scrape the coffee flush, close the cap, run a test through the machine.  Once I get the proper load on the pods right I'll generally pod up 20+ pods at once.  Store them in a Glad-ware container and they're ready to go.  (20+ pods is only a few days of single shots here and around 50 pods/week.)

Used pods go into another container and into the refrigerator until cleaning time.  A popsicle stick and toothbrush along with hot, soapy water is all I need to clean these.  Having all the pods ready to go when you need them is great for me and the wife.

I'm looking forward to finally getting my own grinder so I don't have to rely on one at the store that lately isn't getting as fine as I need.  A "customized" doser would be nice, but non-doser would be great also.  As it is I buy enough coffee for 1 week and grind it at the store.

The Nespresso sold pods are good, and have great flavor and crema, but I prefer beans from my local roaster; plus I pack my beans a little tighter and get a little better crema out of my custom pods.  I recommend this system to rich people that don't mind paying $0.65/espresso single shot, and to the tightwads I recommend filling your own pods if you don't go full blown espresso machine.  (I think my coffee costs around $0.22/single shot.  Refillable pods have long ago paid for themselves although they are expensive.)
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 9:11pm

emradguy Said:

well put, Helen!  +1000

Posted September 10, 2012 link

+2

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > ESPRESSO GRINDER...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319118022919)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+