Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Advice on Buying Grinder for new NS Oscar
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Advice on Buying...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
misticms
misticms
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: New One Soon!!
Grinder: New One Soon!!
Vac Pot: not needed
Drip: no sure
Roaster: not on your life
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 8:47am
Subject: Advice on Buying Grinder for new NS Oscar

I am torn on what is a good grinder for the Oscar.  Am thinking of the Vario or the Grinta, but there is at least a $200 difference in price.  Do I bite the bullet and get a Vario, or what suggestions are out there.  It will be used exclusively for Oscar and not other grinds.  Thanks for the input.

Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 10:38am
Subject: Re: Advice on Buying Grinder for new NS Oscar

The grinder is more important than the espresso machine. The better your grind, the better your espresso.... to a point, but that point is way out there!
You might also look around and see what you can find in Craigs list or the throw away add papers where you live in search of a used commercial grinder.
There are lots of people here who really like their Vario, many of them people I respect the opinion of. I have not used the Vario so I can not say for sure but it has been compared to the SJ in grind quality, I have no reason to doubt them.

From a strictly build standpoint, I like metal, all metal and the case of the Vario is plastic, FOR ME, that tilts the scale to a used commercial grinder but a used commercial grinder may not fit into your kitchen.

short answer is to go with the best quality you can get. Oscar deserves that and if you make Oscar happy, you just may be very happy with what Oscar makes. ......  YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 2:18pm

If you are POSITIVE it will not be used for anything other than espresso, then a Used Mazzer SJ might be the ticket. About $375-$400, + new burrs, $45.
It's a tank and will run forever, but is very large, takes up counter space, and for home use can be a bit messy and wasteful, even with a doser. It is a standard in smaller cafes.

On the other hand, as $$ (for most of us, and YOU) seem to be a bit of an issue, I'd think about either the Baratza Preciso or Vario. Refurbs on the Baratza web site are often available at a significant discount.
I say this because they are nearly waste free grinders, have a small footprint, do a fine job, and are backed by excellent CS.
Yes, they violate your premise of espresso only. They can do Turkish, all the down to a coarse French press. Adjustment back and forth is a snap.

This just depends on your kitchen, what look you want (SJ, or more compact Vario or Preciso). whether coffee waste is important, etc.
I'm not saying the SJ is a pig, just that a significant amount of coffee can be retained post grind, and with the doser model, this coffee can be a bit harder to access, thus your next shot will have 2-3grams of stale coffee.
Of course, a 1 second grinding flush will clear stale coffee.

The SJ will be the star of your kitchen, with the Baratza's, your Oscar will high-light.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 4:41am

I did not intend to imply that a used commercial was the BEST way to go, it is MY preferred grinder. YOU need to evaluate what YOUR needs are and what your size and $ requirements are. There is no RIGHT answer, there is only what is best FOR YOU and only you can decide what that is.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Advice on Buying...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315465927124)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+