Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer question
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer question  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
erikhincz

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doser
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 10:32pm
Subject: Mazzer question

Hello all,
This is my first post here but I've been reading these forums for a bit.  I've found a few useful posts in the direction of my real question but was wondering if anyone could direct me a bit more specifically.  Right now I'm using a Vibiemme Domobar Super with a Rocky grinder.  I'm feeling it's time to upgrade my grinder and was looking at the Mazzer Mini, however after doing some research I've come to the conclusion that I would feel I short-changed myself if I didn't just opt for the Super Jolly.  But after reading a bit more and seeing the closer similarities (mainly burr size) between the Super Jolly and the Mini Electronic, and of course thinking that a smaller grinder and doserless grinding would be nice for home use, I'm sort of stuck again.  I guess basically I'm wondering if I go ahead and buy the Mini Electronic, would I have reason to regret not going for the Super Jolly... considering I use the grinder essentially once a day for my morning espresso or cappuccino and am not at all concerned about a twenty second versus ten second grind time.  Thanks in advance!

erik
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 12:39am
Subject: Re: Mazzer question

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Mazzer Mini (E) or Super Jolly, it mostly depends on your budget and kitchen space. Both will be a noticable step-up from your Rocky, alone by the fact that both grinders are stepless. By the way the SJ is also available as a doserless model, the Super Jolly Electronic. Both are flat burr grinders with 64 mm blades (1,400 to 1,600 RPM) and are rock solid. However, the SJ is a big commercial grinder (including a much larger bean hopper) with all its advantages. So, if you can afford it and have enough space in your kitchen to place the SJ, you might as well go for it. But you won't go wrong the Mini E neither.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 6:13am

I have not used the Mini E so I can not address anything about it in specific. My personal preference is for a grinder with a doser for several reasons, not the least of them being that you can grind while doing something else, better static and clumping control and it is a lot cleaner. These are personal preferences and you need to decide what is important to you.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 7:32am

FWIW, I love my doserless grinders, and -- well, OK, since the Mahlkönig grinds a double in just over three seconds, I don't really have time to do much, but I actually do al the time:  the portafilter holder works, I place the portafilter and basket in place, walk away, but within a step or two, the grinder is finished and waits for me to return . . .

;^)

To the OP: doser/doserless is strictly a matter of personal preference.  That is, one method is not better or worse than the other.  It's what you personally prefer.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 7:50am

Don't know if this will help you, but hopefully, you'll get something out of it...

I have the Macap M4 grinder, which is not only in the same class as the Mazzer Mini, but rated about equal in most respects on most reviews I've seen.  It and the Mini both fit under standard kitchen counters, although you have to slide it out or rotate it to put beans inthe hopper.  Regarding grind quality, shot quality,etc. I find it awesome.  It was well worth the upgrade from the Rocky. FWIW, regarding your comment about being ready for an upgrade (having been down that road), I would say you were "ready" for an upgrade the day you bought the Rocky...yeah, the difference is that noticeable.  After about 5 years with the Macap, I've been having a bit of "upgraditis".  This is more because of what I keep reading about better quality grinders/class steps up in grinders, and curiosity about how much of an improvement I'd notice if I upgraded, rather than any disappointment whatsoever with what I have.

My take on reading forums and reviews, etc about coffee gear is similar to my take on reading same on stereo equipment...the more I read, the more I want better...if I don't read anything, I'd be perfectly happy with what I've got.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 7:57am

If your open to used equipment there are plenty of good deals, right here on CG or CL. And if you single dose a larger grinder will fit on the counter without the bean hopper.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 11:41am

emradguy Said:

My take on reading forums and reviews, etc about coffee gear is similar to my take on reading same on stereo equipment...the more I read, the more I want better...if I don't read anything, I'd be perfectly happy with what I've got.

Posted September 5, 2012 link

What I had to learn to do was when I bought something........ STOP LOOKING!  otherwise, you fall into the upgraditus rabbit hole and it is very VERY DEEP!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 1:01pm

erikhincz Said:

I guess basically I'm wondering if I go ahead and buy the Mini Electronic, would I have reason to regret not going for the Super Jolly...

Posted September 4, 2012 link

Your question involves a lot of personal preference.  Granted, the improvement in the cup was the biggest plus but the significantly reduced grind time in going from the Rocky to the Super Jolly was also a plus in my opinion.  That said, I don't have to worry about cabinets above my grinder or space for my SJ and I prefer dosers for the same reason that calblacksmith does.  You have to decide based on your preferences.

erikhincz Said:

however after doing some research I've come to the conclusion that I would feel I short-changed myself if I didn't just opt for the Super Jolly

Posted September 4, 2012 link

Why?  You've stated that you don't think you have any reason to specifically want the SJ.  It would help us to understand how and why you reached that conclusion despite everything else you've said.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer question  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.501358985901)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+