Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Preciso driving me CRAZY!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 9:04am
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso driving me CRAZY!

Sam21 Said:

You seem to really not like the fact that it comes apart with nothing but a screwdriver. Would you rather need to use a toolbox of tools? There isn't another grinder on the market that is easier to open up. Baratza often looks for their users to make a little tweak themselves. It's not asking for much. Many of th issues people face are calibration related. A little tweak and all is well.

Posted September 1, 2012 link

Exactly.... I don't get what the issue is?? This thing is easy to take apart, heck they've got the instructions right on the site. If somebody thinks this grinder is complex, like to see them open up some of the more upscale grinders and try to fix if they have issues.

pilot25 Said:

Yes, I read the threads and yes some had success.  However, therein lies the nugget.  So many searching for solutions.  I don't see that as much with other grinders.  Especially the inconsistency of the grind posted over and over again.

Posted August 31, 2012 link

So many?? And you know the exact amount searching?? You posted a few, and even if you search max for that amount on other boards you still don't come up with massive multitudes like you mentioned, some of the threads are even dupes/cross posted, you think were in the minority those of us having a good experience, but sorry it's far the opposite with ones that didn't have the issue (which in itself was minor and easy to fix). I can bring up threads on here, HB etc of people worse problems with grinders costing 3-4X as much, if your that pissed with Baratza, I would hate to see how pissed you'd be with a grinder costing well over a thousand having problems.

Searching means nothing, of course people are going to search if they have an issue, doesn't matter whether it's a car or coffee. They've sold thousands of these, even if a couple dozen people had this problem (which was an easy fix again) that means nothing vs all the rest sold w/ no probs or issues with calibration.
 View Profile Link to this post
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 10:07am

It's pretty hard to tell what is up, for whatever reason some people have a hard time making espresso and Silvia isn't known for being an easy machine herself. Anyway, sell your grinder on here if you like and get something different like a mazzer mini, just because it works for most doesn't mean it will work for you.

Less water, more grounds.
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 10:43pm

Sam21 Said:

You seem to really not like the fact that it comes apart with nothing but a screwdriver. Would you rather need to use a toolbox of tools? There isn't another grinder on the market that is easier to open up. Baratza often looks for their users to make a little tweak themselves. It's not asking for much. Many of th issues people face are calibration related. A little tweak and all is well.

Nope, I would rather not use any tools after a few months of use.  Additionally, I would like to keep using zero tools to "tweek" the thing.  Put the calibration lever on the outside of the housing.  How many settings does it have 600+ yet we are still required to tweek it with internal mechanisms?
pilot25

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 10:53pm

CMIN Said:

if your that pissed with Baratza, I would hate to see how pissed you'd be with a grinder costing well over a thousand having problems.

Not pissed and even stated Baratza has nice customer service.  I went to these forums to find information out before I purchased and it appears I read only all the fan boy posts, like yours, and excluded the pragmatic or negative ones in addition too them.  Yep, I had it already in mind that it was going to be a good grinder even though I was researching to make sure.  Big mistake on my part.

People need to know all sides not just the rah rah ones.  It's great you are so happy with your grinder that you defend it like it is your child.  People should know that too.  However, you are wrong.  There are lots of postings with people having grind inconsistency problems.  Multiply that by the silent many who searched out those posts to figure out what the deal is with their machine.

Being pragmatic about the subject and taking your emotion out of it you will see that Baratza has an entire glossy PDF file dedicated just to troubleshooting grind inconsistency.  No not calibration but grind inconsistency.  If it was just a couple dozen as you state they wouldn't have done that.  I am sure their phones were flooded with calls about the problem so they decided to published the PDF in hopes people will seek out the website first.  Over and over that PDF points to the crappy plastic ring they decided to use that deforms quite quickly.
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2012, 5:21am

pilot25 Said:

Nope, I would rather not use any tools after a few months of use.  Additionally, I would like to keep using zero tools to "tweek" the thing.  Put the calibration lever on the outside of the housing.  How many settings does it have 600+ yet we are still required to tweek it with internal mechanisms?

Okay. It's fair enough that you personally do not like having to take it apart. Unfortunately, its not as simple as putting the calibration mechanism on the outside of the grinder. It simply is not possible given the internal setup. Yes, this is an espresso grinder at $300, but there are few if any espresso capable grinders in the market at that price. The OE Pharos might be the only other one commonly used. Many espresso grinders are far more expensive - but that is not what they were after with the Preciso.

In the end, id say this thread is pretty much done. You are unhappy with your Preciso and others are not. Will the conversations go anywhere productive? Probably not. In the end, it's just coffee. On to my morning cup.
pilot25

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 8:06am

Sam21 Said:

In the end, id say this thread is pretty much done. You are unhappy with your Preciso and others are not. Will the conversations go anywhere productive? Probably not. In the end, it's just coffee. On to my morning cup.

Posted September 2, 2012 link

Very true.  I'm going to call today and demand a replacement unit new or referb.  I don't care, I just want the darn thing to work.
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 8:51am

pilot25 Said:

Very true.  I'm going to call today and demand a replacement unit new or referb.  I don't care, I just want the darn thing to work.

Posted September 4, 2012 link

Speaking as somebody who ran a customer service organization for a number of years, might I humbly suggest that, rather than getting all huffy and demanding this and/or that, you talk to them like fellow human beings? I think you'll find you get much better results that way. People like to help people who are willing to work with them and treat them like humans.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 8:56am

If the grinder is past 6 months old, IIRC it'll be a refurbished replacement (as opposed to new). This was my experience, at least. No complaints about my refurb Preciso. They might be willing to calibrate it for espresso for you before shipping.
pilot25

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 10:07am

Update:  I called today, explained my story and said I had the unit open ready for direction on how to fix it.  He said forget it you can't fix it.  The rep said the previous rep I talked to was misinformed.  Their directive from the company is to replace all units within the warranty period with new ones or referb ones that have the new gearbox, burrs, and other "improved components" ( I guess that is the plastic ring.)

He said he was sorry for the confusion and is sending a new unit out today.

Crappy grinder but good company.  I hope the new one is improved and good.
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 10:19am

pilot25 Said:

Update:  I called today, explained my story and said I had the unit open ready for direction on how to fix it.  He said forget it you can't fix it.  The rep said the previous rep I talked to was misinformed.  Their directive from the company is to replace all units within the warranty period with new ones or referb ones that have the new gearbox, burrs, and other "improved components" ( I guess that is the plastic ring.)

He said he was sorry for the confusion and is sending a new unit out today.

Crappy grinder but good company.  I hope the new one is improved and good.

Posted September 4, 2012 link

Good to hear they took care of you, as that mirrors the treatment that many shared earlier on.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.390465974808)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+