Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Preciso driving me CRAZY!
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Jazzyguy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 5:20pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso driving me CRAZY!

I have emailed Baratza. They were really quick to respond and sent me some trouble shooting guides to go through. At the same time, I'm making 100% sure it's not me with some of the advice above.
 View Profile Link to this post
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 4:52pm

OP,

There are several threads on how crappy this grinder is.  I have one and curse it every day I use it.  I have called Baratza several times and have had to invoke my inner mechanic and break the thing open on the hopes the poor plastic design will ever be consistent.  It doesn't help, it isn't easy, and should be unnecessary on a new machine.  They are nice but they know their grinder is a POS.

I have made sure my grind technique is identical ad nauseam therefore it is, without question, the grinder.

I, unfortunately, found all this out after the return period ended.  Good luck.  I suggest returning it and getting a grinder that is designed where the important pieces aren't plastic.  Would you buy a car with a plastic engine?  That's what this crappy grinder is.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 5:10pm

pilot25 Said:

OP,

There are several threads on how crappy this grinder is.  I have one and curse it every day I use it.  I have called Baratza several times and have had to invoke my inner mechanic and break the thing open on the hopes the poor plastic design will ever be consistent.  It doesn't help, it isn't easy, and should be unnecessary on a new machine.  They are nice but they know their grinder is a POS.

I have made sure my grind technique is identical ad nauseam therefore it is, without question, the grinder.

I, unfortunately, found all this out after the return period ended.  Good luck.  I suggest returning it and getting a grinder that is designed where the important pieces aren't plastic.  Would you buy a car with a plastic engine?  That's what this crappy grinder is.

Posted August 31, 2012 link

Certain parts are designed to fail easy if the burrs get jammed, this isn't a $1k+ grinder. But all I can say is my Preciso works perfect, it always stays within range and sometimes a click up or down and adjust the micro depending on the bean type and age. If I go back to a bean I was using previously, I go right back to the exact settings I had for it (i.e. 6E) and it's perfect. You've posted this before, so don't know if you have some type of vendetta against Baratza lol, there isn't multitudes of threads like you stated. Sure some people had hiccups here and there, stuff happens, people also have issues with the $$$ grinders and espresso machines so that point is mute. Unfortunetly stuff happens and you seem to have been unlucky there b/c the Preciso works fine no prob for others like myself.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 5:18pm

Pilot25,
I won't argue with you at this point, but the vast majority who own the Preciso, me included have NO problem going back and forth, not just between espresso setting, but all the way to a coarser drip...and back.

I suggest to the OP that your grinder is set to the "FINE" side of things. My grinder is set internally in the middle.
Thus, my general espresso grind lies at 9, from maybe D-K.
I found the preciso easier to dial in for espresso than it's big brother, the Vario.

BTW, the plastic used in the Baratza line is of a very high quality.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm truly sorry you've had a bad experience, but your claim there are "several threads on how crappy this grinder is" is a gross overstatement./
Besides, Baratza would have given you a replacement if you had only asked...before the warranty.
Why did you wait over a year?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pilot25

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 5:49pm

IMAWriter Said:

Pilot25,
I won't argue with you at this point, but the vast majority who own the Preciso, me included have NO problem going back and forth, not just between espresso setting, but all the way to a coarser drip...and back.

I suggest to the OP that your grinder is set to the "FINE" side of things. My grinder is set internally in the middle.
Thus, my general espresso grind lies at 9, from maybe D-K.
I found the preciso easier to dial in for espresso than it's big brother, the Vario.

BTW, the plastic used in the Baratza line is of a very high quality.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm truly sorry you've had a bad experience, but your claim there are "several threads on how crappy this grinder is" is a gross overstatement./
Besides, Baratza would have given you a replacement if you had only asked...before the warranty.
Why did you wait over a year?

Didn't wait over a year.  It's been less and as I said return period not warranty period.  I have called Baratza and they won't give me a replacement only manuals to rip the thing open and tinker.  They also sent me another plastic ring that has deformed quickly inducing inconsistency.  They are nice people but I wouldn't say they are great.  Glad you got a good machine but you are in the minority.

Forum threads of Preciso owners frustrations just from this forum.  Searching other forums I can link a dozen more.  "Gross Overstatement?"  It's an understatement.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/589432

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/584260

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/583353

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/582012
pilot25

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 6:18pm

CMIN Said:

You've posted this before, so don't know if you have some type of vendetta against Baratza lol,

Yes, I hate this grinder and don't want others to make the same mistake.  I have linked several threads on the frustrations of this grinder (post above) going to other forums the are even more.  Yes, things happen and there can be a bad unit or two however the only thing consistant about this grinder is others have had the exact same problems.  Grind inconsistency.  This is a mass problem.  Not on a unit or two.  Sadly the problem has been identified in the plastic ring.  Its a design flaw.  It's a good company but this grinder is crap.  Anyone thinking of buying it should look a step above in the Vario or better.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 6:39pm

pilot25 Said:

Yes, I hate this grinder and don't want others to make the same mistake.  I have linked several threads on the frustrations of this grinder (post above) going to other forums the are even more.  Yes, things happen and there can be a bad unit or two however the only thing consistant about this grinder is others have had the exact same problems.  Grind inconsistency.  This is a mass problem.  Not on a unit or two.  Sadly the problem has been identified in the plastic ring.  Its a design flaw.  It's a good company but this grinder is crap.  Anyone thinking of buying it should look a step above in the Vario or better.

Have  you even read those threads? Some even fixed the issues they were having (i.e. some set their calibration to fine etc). My Preciso is a year old and works 100% consistent and I change the grind all the time since I'm always using various types of beans/blends and each needs it's own tweaking, I actually have the 2.0 GB sitting here to install but been so busy haven't gotten around to it.

Even if you found dozens on here and HB (and even on HB if you see the threads many fixed their problems after they calibrated it), that still a very very small % of owners vs the thousands they've sold. Plenty of us on both boards have no issues with the grinder. If it was a mass problem you'd see waaaaaay more complaints popping up on the boards, people always search out forums for "problems" for anything whether computers cars or espresso vs people happy with the product. And there's a bunch of us on both boards w/o this issue far outweighing the few that had some hiccups.

sorry you had a bad experience
barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 6:56pm

Pilot25, thanks for posting those threads.  They do indeed confirm that every owner who contacted Baratza was very happy with the resolution of their problem.  Of course, the problems were due to different causes, including a calibration error.  Baratza was well-prepared to deal with them in each case.  I found no indication even remotely similar to your issue, where you tried to get help, and where the customer service people denied you a rebuilt.  I suspect that had you been able to accept a rebuilt grinder from Baratza, you would have been satisfied with the performance.

So, were you really denied a rebuilt grinder or did you insist on a new one?

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pilot25

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 9:33pm

I'm glad you guys have all had success.  To answer some questions:

1.  I was not offered a referb unit.  I asked for a new one but was asked to perform mechanical "tweeking." i.e. bust the thing open with a screw driver.

2.  Yes, I read the threads and yes some had success.  However, therein lies the nugget.  So many searching for solutions.  I don't see that as much with other grinders.  Especially the inconsistency of the grind posted over and over again.

I'll close my rant but to those looking for a new grinder make sure you do your homework and pick the best for you.  IMO, this one takes unnecessary work.  Think about taking a screw driver and popping open the case, which you will scratch if not crack.  If you like to play with mechanical stuff then this is for you.  There is an adjustment lever hidden under the case that is not easily accessible for some unknown reason.  Why?  I'm sure cost is involved.  It's a $300 unit not $3000.  However, $300 is nothing to sneeze at for a small appliance that cost probably $20 to manufacture.  There are also multitudes of colorful pdf files to show you how to make mechanical fixes.  That should be a clear sign that I didn't think of when I made my purchase.

This is not what I was looking for in a grinder.  I expect after a year or so of use, with regular cleaning, it would need maintenance but not after a few months of use.
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 8:20am

You seem to really not like the fact that it comes apart with nothing but a screwdriver. Would you rather need to use a toolbox of tools? There isn't another grinder on the market that is easier to open up. Baratza often looks for their users to make a little tweak themselves. It's not asking for much. Many of th issues people face are calibration related. A little tweak and all is well.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315464019775)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+