Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario or Vario-W?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CN1

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 12:47pm
Subject: Re: Vario or Vario-W?

I recently bought the regular Vario (to use for espresso) and I couldn't be happier. I also went back and forth on getting a Vario-W or a regular Vario, and in the end decided to save the $100 and get the regular one (while buying a $15/$20 scale to use on the side). Grinding directly into the portafilter has been really nice--I previously had to grind into a little container and scoop into the portafilter because my portafilter didn't fit the grinder I was using. I've heard that the Vario-W was designed more for pour-overs or presses than for espresso.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 12:15pm

Love the vario w.  I put a command adhesive strip on the scale part and put a small stainless steel sauce holder on that. Put my basket in that and a yogurt funnel on top.   This make it really easy to stir and tamp and put in my naked portafilter.  I really like I can do that half asleep without glasses.  The $100 is totally worth that to me.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 2:18am

You know, I'm quite happy to see this thread. It answers a few questions I've had.

It seems to me that something like a Vario-W would also be much more wife friendly.. Much less grounds on the counter...

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:13am

I used to weigh the beans and grind only what I weighted for the shot and that is more opportunities to spill the beans.  I am very happy I don't have to do that any more.

All the baratizas are neat if you grind into the plastic bin they provide.  The portafilter holder seem like it has the potential to be messier.
The vario W is for espresso, they just couldn't weigh the whole portafilter so you are supposed to grind into the supplied plastic bin instead of a portafilter holder.  I mod'ed it so that the grounds pour directly into the small insert basket that goes in the portafilter.  This doesn't weigh too much for the scale and makes it quite handy.  The only draw back is that I use a naked without the spring holder so dumping the puck out is harder.

But the only grinds on my counter are from me not the vario.   So, I would have to say it is wife friendly.  I also think it looks good on the counter of my tiny kitchen. Something the commercial grinders would not.  Also, my set up is so that the husband could even make espresso if he would try.  I have everything set up to be pretty fool proof.  I expect it will be better after my class.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Gerry07

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus 3
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario
Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 9:45pm

Why would you get a Vario for espresso only grinding. If it were me I would go for a dedicated espresso grinder. I have a Vario since the 2nd edition was released but would not buy one again. Each time I change the grind setting from espresso to press or whatever and return to espresso I have to recalibrate the grinder and start from scratch, a nuscience. It does grind well but so do other espresso grinders that cost even less.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 9:19am

Sorry, but I don't understand your post.

Gerry07 Said:

Each time I change the grind setting from espresso to press or whatever and return to espresso I have to recalibrate the grinder and start from scratch, a nuscience.

Posted August 25, 2012 link

Hmmm . . . I don't have that problem.  When I switch methods of brewing, and thus change the grind, I merely switch it back and it grinds fine -- no recalibration necessary.

Gerry07 Said:

Why would you get a Vario for espresso only grinding. If it were me I would go for a dedicated espresso grinder . . . . It does grind well but so do other espresso grinders that cost even less.

Posted August 25, 2012 link

While I agree that an "espresso only" grinder is the best solution, I'm not sure which grinder you are referring to that does a better job for less money.  Can you point to some specifics?

My main espresso grinder is a Mahlkönig K30 Vario, a dedicated espresso grinder.  I use my Baratza Vario (branded as the "Mahlkönig VARIO Home" outside North America) as my secondary espresso grinder -- for S.O. coffees or occasionally decaf espresso -- and for other coffee preparations.  The Baratza Vario is very close in grind quality to the far more expensive K30 Vario, and -- in my experience -- better than any other NEW grinder for the price.  (Buying "used" presents different options.)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 9:47am

hyu968 Said:

How do you guys exactly use W ? Suppose I want 12 grams of coffee for my portafilter. So I should use an empty bin and grind in exactly 12 grams and then empty it into a portafilter. I am not sure it is much different from pre-weighing 12 grams, putting them into a hopper and then grind directly into portafilter. The only difference of course this way you can keep the beans in the hopper all the time.

If I am missing something, let me know! Thanks!

Posted March 25, 2012 link

Why single dose with a W? Even the W, which has less pop corning (beans jumping around in the hopper) than most, benefits from at least a 1/2 filled hopper. better shots will ensue. Neither Vario wastes coffee.
Not sure this was mentioned, but you CANNOT grind directly into the PF/basket without some modifications to secure the basket to the scale.
Not sure how it was done, and don't really care.

BTW, 12 grams seems like a small amount of coffee, like a large single.
Did you mention which machine you have?

EDIT...I should have said, why single dose grind with either Vario? they both have grind amount calibration, one by time, the other by weight. Both work for me.
The Preciso benefits from the Esatto, but at the expense of no direct grind into basket, unless the mod referenced is done.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
tek

Espresso: Changes daily
Grinder: Kafa-Tek Monolith
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 7:53pm

+1 To Rob. Vario is more consitent with beans in hopper and so much more convinient when you use it like that. And because it has low retention it works.

I think W is really nice, but I started using Preciso with Esatto and I am thinking this combo is better than Vario for espresso. I think these 40mm conical burrs give better taste and are more consistent. Usage wise you just set the weight and grind into bin. Then pour from bin into center of basket level off and tamp. Very, very consistent results.

www.10000shots.com
Obrother

Espresso: Isomac Italia pid'd,...
Grinder: vario, macap mc4 stepless,...
Drip: hario v60 glass, bonavita...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 9:53pm

If I could have my time and money back I would never have bought the vario. Can't adjust the grind with beans in the hopper or still the burrs. I came from a gaggia mdf. If I was you I would buy brand new burrs, do a stepless mod, and buy a timer off of ebay for timed grinds just like the vario ...and use the money elsewhere.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 9:40am

Obrother Said:

Can't adjust the grind with beans in the hopper or still the burrs.

Posted August 26, 2012 link

Why not?  I can . . .

Obrother Said:

I came from a gaggia mdf.

Posted August 26, 2012 link

I have one of those for 25 yearss, and there is NO comparison -- the Baratza Vario is a MUCH better grinder . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.314815998077)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+