Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario or Vario-W?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
hyu968

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 9:32am
Subject: Vario or Vario-W?

Hello All, I am considering buying a grinder, and I have narrowed it down to either Vario or Vario-W. What's your take on Vario vs Vario-W? I am thinking of going with plain Vario as I would be grinding single doses, but I am still curious to hear your opinion regarding this. Thanks! -GM
 View Profile Link to this post
Nelson

Espresso: Ibrik
Grinder: Melitta Burr
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup, Cory Rod
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 10:00am
Subject: Re: Vario or Vario-W?

I don't have either, but when I grind for vac-pot, I weigh the grounds.   If you have the $ for the built-in weigh feature, I would think that would be preferable.  

Weighing the grounds to ensure consistent and accurate water/bean ratio, has been the single best improvement I've made in my coffee quality since I began home roasting 3 years ago.   I would never go back to dosing coffee by volume.

Nelson
hyu968

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 10:56am

Thanks for your reply. In my case though, I drink espresso only, and most probably will be grinding single doses. Does anybody else do that? What's your take on this?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:25pm

I had the the Vario for a few years and it has recently been replaced with a Vario-W. I used the timer function for most of the time with the Vario but when I developed some variance with grind amount output I switched to weighing and single dosing. What I love about the Vario-w and the Preciso paired with an Esatto is with a full hopper I am a click away from whatever weight I want. I don't feel pre weighing is very time consuming or much of a PIA but avoiding it all together is nice.
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:43pm

If you are tied to the weight accuracy of single dosing I would think that you would be best served by the W.  Single dosing a timed grind on demand grinder such as the regular Vario is a waste of all of the little timer bits that you are paying for.  I'm not saying that it would be a bad buy.  The regular Vario is great, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to just about anyone looking for a great consumer grinder.  Both Varios have negligible retention, so single dosing them is about weight accuracy only, which is precisely what the W is all about.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hyu968

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 2:01pm

How do you guys exactly use W ? Suppose I want 12 grams of coffee for my portafilter. So I should use an empty bin and grind in exactly 12 grams and then empty it into a portafilter. I am not sure it is much different from pre-weighing 12 grams, putting them into a hopper and then grind directly into portafilter. The only difference of course this way you can keep the beans in the hopper all the time.

If I am missing something, let me know! Thanks!
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Modded Oscar
Grinder: Anfim Lusso, GM 875
Vac Pot: Air Pot
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, CC
Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 2:51pm

hyu968 Said:

How do you guys exactly use W ? Suppose I want 12 grams of coffee for my portafilter. So I should use an empty bin and grind in exactly 12 grams and then empty it into a portafilter. I am not sure it is much different from pre-weighing 12 grams, putting them into a hopper and then grind directly into portafilter. The only difference of course this way you can keep the beans in the hopper all the time.

If I am missing something, let me know! Thanks!

Posted March 25, 2012 link

That's one way to do it, the other way is to put the basket right on the little scale and grind directly into it.

Load and Lock.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 4:56pm

It all depends upon your preferred way of using the grinder . . . dose directly into the portafilter? or into a cup/bin first?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Mister_Bean

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 10:31pm

I, too, pre-weigh my beans for each shot, and I recently had to make the same choice. I was pretty set on either the Vario or the Vario-W; both seem to be available regularly lately as refurbs on Baratza's website.

At first I leaned toward the regular Vario, partly to save money and partly out of attachment to dosing directly into the portafilter. But in the end, I decided that this would be a false economy: I had insufficient reasons to forgo the innovative and elegant solution that the Vario-W provides in my situation.

For me, eliminating the ritual of pre-weighing the beans for each shot represents a significant improvement in accuracy and efficiency in exchange for a minor adjustment to my dosing process. I can live with transferring the grounds into the portafilter from the bin after grinding. Some folks rig up systems for grinding directly into a basket with the W, but I doubt I'll bother. With my Orphan Espresso aluminum funnel in the portafilter, filling it from the bin should be quick and neat; it may even improve distribution.

--David
hyu968

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012, 8:10am

Thanks for the interesting perspective, David. I was wondering if other folks also prefer direct weight-based grinding to pre-weighing beans? Thanks, -GM
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261211156845)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+