Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
OE Pharos or Eureka Mignon? Help me decide!
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > OE Pharos or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
red4167

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:00am
Subject: OE Pharos or Eureka Mignon? Help me decide!

I am looking to purchase a grinder that will last me a while but I am on a budget. I have narrowed it down to these two but they are two very different beasts... Please help me decide...

Pharos

pros- Titan class grind
        forces me  to not use a hopper -> fresher beans
        practically no grind retention so less wastage
        quiet
        less clumping
        100 cheaper than the Mignon!
cons- it's a hand grinder (though I'm okay with that as I've been using a porlex for about a month now)
        looks pretty ghetto as a grinder
        getting the grounds into the pf would be a fiddle and probably require intermediate steps (a cup or something...)
        fiddly adjustment
        would make me look a little silly and possibly a bit AR (weighing out beans, the whole pharos ritual etc...)
        would be a hassle to make espresso for 2+ people
        would have to import from the USA

Eureka Mignon

pros-it's a good grinder whose grind quality has been compared to the Mazzer Mini (see Bella Barista grinder round up review)
       more convenient
       looks pretty legit as a grinder
       doserless
       quiet for an electric grinder
       not a hand grinder so a little faster
       grounds fall straight into the pf so no hassle
       would be able to offer people a coffee without looking like a total weirdo ("just let me get my scales that are accurate to 0.01g, turn this contraption 30 times, bang it with a hammer, shake it into a plastic thing, stick it in the pf somehow, repeat...")
       adjustment more straight forward
cons-I would probably use the hopper to store enough beans for 2-3 days so freshness may suffer (but then the coffee would already be in the hopper...)
       some grind retention -> some wastage
       some clumping due to the way the grounds are pushed out and no doser to break up clumps
       grind quality may not be as good (though I would probably not be bothered as I've never had a Titan class espresso)
       100 more expensive than the Pharos

Note: The 100 difference I can handle as I am viewing this grinder as something that I will have for a number of years. I am also pretty sure that it is between these two - the Mazzer Mini would be an option but it is more expensive again and is larger (counter top space is an issue).

Cheers folks :)
 View Profile Link to this post
red4167

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:03am
Subject: Re: OE Pharos or Eureka Mignon? Help me decide!

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Vario/Preciso Baratza thingies.

I don't like the look compared to the Mignon. They are more expensive. They aren't stepless and I have heard mixed reviews on them. So between the Vario and the Mignon I would pick the Mignon.
moreshots

Espresso: Cimbali DT1//Jura Z5
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Pharos
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Made my own 2KG roaster
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 7:05pm

The Pharos is a well made grinder that will work for you , also order a funnel and most of your issues are past you
I have one and a Maxxer mini love the pharos !!!
Bill

red4167 Said:

I am looking to purchase a grinder that will last me a while but I am on a budget. I have narrowed it down to these two but they are two very different beasts... Please help me decide...

Pharos

pros- Titan class grind
        forces me  to not use a hopper -> fresher beans
        practically no grind retention so less wastage
        quiet
        less clumping
        100 cheaper than the Mignon!
cons- it's a hand grinder (though I'm okay with that as I've been using a porlex for about a month now)
        looks pretty ghetto as a grinder
        getting the grounds into the pf would be a fiddle and probably require intermediate steps (a cup or something...)
        fiddly adjustment
        would make me look a little silly and possibly a bit AR (weighing out beans, the whole pharos ritual etc...)
        would be a hassle to make espresso for 2+ people
        would have to import from the USA

Eureka Mignon

pros-it's a good grinder whose grind quality has been compared to the Mazzer Mini (see Bella Barista grinder round up review)
       more convenient
       looks pretty legit as a grinder
       doserless
       quiet for an electric grinder
       not a hand grinder so a little faster
       grounds fall straight into the pf so no hassle
       would be able to offer people a coffee without looking like a total weirdo ("just let me get my scales that are accurate to 0.01g, turn this contraption 30 times, bang it with a hammer, shake it into a plastic thing, stick it in the pf somehow, repeat...")
       adjustment more straight forward
cons-I would probably use the hopper to store enough beans for 2-3 days so freshness may suffer (but then the coffee would already be in the hopper...)
       some grind retention -> some wastage
       some clumping due to the way the grounds are pushed out and no doser to break up clumps
       grind quality may not be as good (though I would probably not be bothered as I've never had a Titan class espresso)
       100 more expensive than the Pharos

Note: The 100 difference I can handle as I am viewing this grinder as something that I will have for a number of years. I am also pretty sure that it is between these two - the Mazzer Mini would be an option but it is more expensive again and is larger (counter top space is an issue).

Cheers folks :)

Posted August 21, 2012 link

JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Modded Oscar
Grinder: Anfim Lusso, GM 875
Vac Pot: Air Pot
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, CC
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 7:36pm

red4167 Said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Vario/Preciso Baratza thingies.

I don't like the look compared to the Mignon. They are more expensive. They aren't stepless and I have heard mixed reviews on them. So between the Vario and the Mignon I would pick the Mignon.

Posted August 21, 2012 link

I would not. I have owned Eurekas before and they tend to throw grounds far and wide, clump, and waste more than any other grinder I've ever owned. The usability is horrible. There are two best choices for a home (electric) grinder: Baratza, or Titan class.

Load and Lock.
tek

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Changes daily
Grinder: Kafa-Tek Monolith
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 7:39pm

Baratza Preciso is a lot of grinder for the money. It's surprisingly good.

www.10000shots.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pessutojr

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Eureka Mignon
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2012, 11:16am

Hello there, my first post in this forum. I am in a very similar dilemma!

I am in a position to move on from my porlex mini grinder to an electric one. For me, the most important points are:

- not too noisy (I live in a terraced house and don't really fancy waking up the neighbours)
- low ground coffee retention (I am not fond on wasting coffee; Freshly roast coffee is expensive)
- not too messy (otherwise my wife won't be too pleased)
- adequate fine adjustability, mainly used for espresso
- compact design (space in my kitchen comes at a premium)
- consistency
- Max budget around GBP 300

After some research I pretty much narrowed it down to the Eureka Mignon and the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso. From what I gather from reviews out thee is that the Mignon can be messy and produce far too many clumps and the grounds retention is not too bad. The Preciso in the other hand is great, but quality of the equipment and long term reliability can be a bit of an issue so I read.

I have also considered the Iberital MC2 and the Ascaso I1, but the overall feedback is that they are noisy and the coffee ground retention can be quite a bit.

Your feedback and experiences would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Alberto.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > OE Pharos or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.24410200119)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+