Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
grinds too coarse?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > grinds too...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
jttran28

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Compak k3
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 8:39am
Subject: grinds too coarse?

Im trying to pre-grind some beans for my wife who drinks decaf only.  I know this is generally not recommended but lets ignore that for now.  I empty my bean hopper and leave the settings as is (pulls a great shot for me).  I put in her beans, grind for a minute or two so I have a good amount in a container.  

So a few days later (today), I then take the grinds and fill a double basket.  Please tell me why the coffee is spraying everywhere, tons of coffee is dripping from the portafilter (much more than 2 oz, more like 8 oz).  Is it because the grinds are too coarse? Those specific settings work great for me.  I don't get it.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 9:00am
Subject: Re: grinds too coarse?

Of course, it's too coarse.

First of all, the chances of getting the required fineness of grounds right with pre-ground coffee are like winning the lottery. Secondly, different beans often require a different setting of your grinder, decaf even more so. In order to get the right extraction parameters, you'll have to dial in your grinder for the specific beans you're using. But even then, that setting can be totally wrong the next day.

So, nothing you've experienced surprises me at all.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 9:09am

Also, remember that stale coffee requires a much finer grind, and if you're trying to pull shots with coffee you ground a couple of days earlier, it's thoroughly stale. Much as I hate to say it, but if that's going to be operating procedure, get a pressurized basket for the preground decaf. It won't be great espresso, but it'll be controllable.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 9:44am

Unfortunately, you're in a no-win situation. As Nobby mentioned, it'll be sheer luck if you ever get the pre-ground to pull correctly, and that'll be a one time experience.  You're probably more likely to get struck by lightning...or as he said, hit the lottery jackpot.  This is why I have two grinders.  Of course, you could also solve your problem by single dosing.  To do that, though, you'd have to take notes on how far the change your setting between decaf and regular.  If you use a different coffee for either one, you'll have to dial it in and then recalculate the delta in your setting.  A notebook and a 0.1g scale would come in handy.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 9:52am

GVDub is absolutely right, of course, that decaf will be stale within minutes of grinding. But as long as you're considering using pre-ground coffee for your wife, she's probably not very sensitive to espresso quality, or else you wouldn't even think about that option. That's why you might as well use a pressurized portafilter for her coffee like he suggested. At least it'll look nice.

In any other case, a grinder like the Baratza Preciso or Vario would make it easier to re-find different settings.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
jttran28

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:07am

This pre-ground is me grinding with my own machine, not the ones pre-ground in the package.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

So it sounds like my options are pressurized portafilter or a cheap second grinder?  It would only be used temporarily for the next year or so.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:15am

Like said your grinds can be too coarse possibly but also even if your pre-grinding yourself so your wife can use, grinds go stale fairly quick (15-20 min), so if she's using days later that will cause sprays/gushing shots as well.
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:23am

I single dose because I pull regular in the morning and decaf at night.  I have a friend who uses a hand grinder for decaf (hario mini) which is another good option.
jttran28

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:37am

single dose: does that mean i only put enough beans in the hopper for it to grind what I want?
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:51am

jttran28 Said:

single dose: does that mean i only put enough beans in the hopper for it to grind what I want?

Posted August 24, 2012 link

pretty much, you have a scale? If not just get digi scale that weighs to within .1g. I weigh my beans before each shot and just put in the Preciso and grind. Instead of grinding for her, you could try keep beans in little baggies or containers for X amount, so she can grind the right amount each time.

I use Ball pint sized canning jars to store and freeze, but they also make smaller like 4 ounce ones that would pry be good for you.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > grinds too...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291910171509)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+