Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Preciso driving me CRAZY!
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Jazzyguy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 11:55am
Subject: Baratza Preciso driving me CRAZY!

I just purchased, last week, a brand Baratza Preciso.  The thing is driving me crazy.  It is sooo inconsistent.  

Lets say I dial in a grind for Espresso A, each time I make Espresso A it comes out fine.  Then, 5 min later I dial in a different grind for another Espresso B.  If I go back to the previous grind setting to make Espresso A again, it won't go back.  I have to dial it in all over again.  However, if I stay with the same espresso and grind setting it remains the same great shot all day. I can't own this machine if its going to be this inconsistent. I like to buy 2-3 different beans at a time and switch it up during the day.  I can't do this with this grinder without waisting an incredible amount of beans and time.  

An example today... I purchased two different bean roasts.  I spent a few shots dialling in the grind for one espresso (4 D).  I can make shot after shot and it will be the same.  5 minutes later, I spent another few shots dialing in for next espresso which needed a setting of (3 H), which is fine.  BUT, if I want to pull a shot with the previous espresso the (4 D) setting won't do anymore.  It could be anywhere and I have to dial it in all over again.  And, don't even get me started if I have to go from a press pot grind back to espresso again!! Everything else remains the same as I'm tamping the same and weighing the doses.  My previous grinder (hand grinder) was easier to use.

Anyone else?  Is this typical?  I feel like smashing it!  Maybe too much espresso today.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 1:45pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso driving me CRAZY!

Not sure, did you call Baratza? I switch settings back and forth all the time on my Preciso depending on the beans on using and have no problem going back to a previous setting.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 2:11pm

Can't go wrong talking to Baratza, or looking at their site at the trouble shooting section.  I do not switch back and forth much, but the only time I had trouble was when the grinder needed to be cleaned.  I cleaned it out and it was back to normal.  It seemed worse going from coarse grind to finer than from fine to coarse.  Worse if beans have high moisture or if oily where they seem to collect more residue in the grinder.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 2:25pm

Are you adjusting while the grinder is running? While it's empty? While there are beans in? If the last, it's never going to work properly, as it will have to clear out the partially ground bits of bean before the new settings settle in, and that will always take a couple of shots. You either have to burn some coffee by adjusting while it's running, then clean out the container/portafilter/grounds box and grind your dose, or clear out all the beans, make your adjustement, but beans back in and grind. Or such is my understanding.

The above is why I have multiple grinders. The big MD85 for churning out espresso shots, and a battery of hand grinders for presspot, one off shots of different beans for espresso, etc.
Jazzyguy

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 5:14pm

GVDub Said:

Are you adjusting while the grinder is running? While it's empty? While there are beans in? If the last, it's never going to work properly, as it will have to clear out the partially ground bits of bean before the new settings settle in, and that will always take a couple of shots. You either have to burn some coffee by adjusting while it's running, then clean out the container/portafilter/grounds box and grind your dose, or clear out all the beans, make your adjustement, but beans back in and grind. Or such is my understanding.

Posted August 21, 2012 link

I don't store beans in the hopper.  When I grind for a shot I put in the hopper only the amount of beans I need to make approx 14 grams for a double shot and run the grinder until it's empty.  So when I adjust, there are no beans in the grinder.  After I adjust, I first grind about 8-10 beans to clear out the old grind that may be left in the chute.
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 5:23pm

Jazzyguy Said:

I don't store beans in the hopper.  When I grind for a shot I put in the hopper only the amount of beans I need to make approx 14 grams for a double shot and run the grinder until it's empty.  So when I adjust, there are no beans in the grinder.  After I adjust, I first grind about 8-10 beans to clear out the old grind that may be left in the chute.

Posted August 21, 2012 link

Given that, your best bet is talking with Baratza service. They certainly have a reputation for keeping at it until a customer's problems are solved.
Jazzyguy

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 5:28pm

Will do.  Thank you.  I will report back.
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:59pm

It's not the grinder imho, it's you and I also believe you would have this problem with most grinders if not all. (just try using a worm gear grinder!)

There are a lot of things going on here, first the marks on the Preciso are references and are not exact and so it's hard to really tell if you are indeed going back to the same adjustment.

Much more problematic is that you are going to have a little bit of grinds from the previous shot or grind in the carrier or in the burr even if you run it empty for a moment or two. So that in of itself will cause your shot to be off.

My only real advice for you and what helps me the most is when adjusting to run it empty and move the macro adjustment a notch or two below the setting you want to go back to and come back up. It seems by doing so allows me to come back to my previous setting pretty close.

Less water, more grounds.
redkiosk
redkiosk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 2:00pm

Did you purchase it from Baratza? If not, it could have been slightly older stock just before they glued down the adjustment ring. Also, burrs might need a little time to set in. I have no problems switching back and forth between grinds with mine. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
Jazzyguy

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 4:18pm

Intrepid510 Said:

It's not the grinder imho, it's you and I also believe you would have this problem with most grinders if not all. (just try using a worm gear grinder!)

I have used other grinders before, including a Zass hand grinder with excellent results. Anything is possible however.

There are a lot of things going on here, first the marks on the Preciso are references and are not exact and so it's hard to really tell if you are indeed going back to the same adjustment.

REALLY!?  My grinder is clearly number and letter marked (both on the micro & macro settings). Going back "SHOULDN'T" be an issue. These should NOT be reference points, or am I wrong?

Much more problematic is that you are going to have a little bit of grinds from the previous shot or grind in the carrier or in the burr even if you run it empty for a moment or two. So that in of itself will cause your shot to be off.

My only real advice for you and what helps me the most is when adjusting to run it empty and move the macro adjustment a notch or two below the setting you want to go back to and come back up. It seems by doing so allows me to come back to my previous setting pretty close.

Thanks, I'll try that. As I've said before though, I do grind a tiny amount of beans after I switch settings to make sure all the older ground from the previous setting is all out.

Posted August 22, 2012 link

showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278539896011)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+