Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Attn: Hand Grinder Users - Simple mod
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Attn: Hand...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 3:55pm
Subject: Attn: Hand Grinder Users - Simple mod

I posted a brief mention of this over in the massive "Hand (grinder) Jive" thread on HB, but thought it was deserving of mention here as a separate topic.

Short story for those who can't bear to read through try replacing the steel ball in your lower bearing (if you've got one) with a ceramic ball now you can either read on, or go experiment.

I recently picked up a KyM grinder here on BST, and, while the wood was perfect and burrs were sharp, it had some issues with very hard turning and a horrible squeaking noise. Figuring that the ball bearing was missing from the lower bearing cup, I decided to order some potential replacements. While I was at it, I figured that I'd get ceramic, rather than steel, balls, as I've experienced the improved performance in bicycle hubs from swapping ceramic in for steel.

Interestingly enough, the original steel ball wasn't missing, but was simply frozen in place with accumulated coffee tar. I discovered this after soaking everything in Cafiza for an hour or so to clean it up, then drying out the bearing cup with a cotton swab. After a few spins that kept bring out more gunk, out came the swap with the ball, embedded in coffee tar, stuck to the end. So I had cleaned it and reassembled with a dab of lubricant then used it for a week. The grinder worked very nicely indeed, grinding more than fine enough to choke both the Caravel and the NS Ellimatic without burr touch.

Before I discovered the wayward steel ball, I had ordered some Al2O3 (aluminum oxide ceramic) balls in several sizes, based on guessing from the internal diameter of the bearing cup on the lower burr strap on the KyM. The 4mm size is the one that fit mine. I dropped it in, put a dab of Dow 111 on the end of the upper burr shaft that seats agains the ball, and reassembled.

I hadn't expected so large a difference. Much smoother action that spins much more freely. I seem to be able to get the burrs closer without touching, which suggests the steel ball wasn't perfectly round. It feels as if less effort is required to grind, though that doesn't strictly make sense. It is grinding finer and more evenly.

So, if you've got a hand grinder sitting around that has a lower bearing cup with a free-floating ball bearing, you might want to give this a try. At under $2 for a high-grade ceramic ball, it's certainly cheap enough, and it might make your favorite hand grinder just that much better. I got mine from VXB, who fulfill through Amazon if you pay through Amazon, and gladly sell you single balls rather than multiple packs if that's what you need.

My next step will be to check if I can make the same mod to any of my other grinders.
 View Profile Link to this post
ThomasP

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 10:11am
Subject: Re: Attn: Hand Grinder Users - Simple mod

Thank you for the info on this. I have a Zass knee grinder I bought about 5-6 years ago after their long hiatus. I don't know if it has the lower bearing cup but it might be worth checking into if it makes that much of a difference in grind. I've always been happy enough with it's grind for a moka pot. Thanks again for the info!
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Attn: Hand...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.180285215378)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+