Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Which Grinder upgrade for my Saeco Aroma?
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Which Grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
microb

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma w/ Naked...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 7:53am
Subject: Re: Which Grinder upgrade for my Saeco Aroma?

Hi again everyone,

Just thought I'd give you some fresh news :)  I stumbled upon an open box deal for a Vario. They advertise it as a new 2012 Vario, opened box, and has a 80$ rebate on it.

Basically, it came down to the same price as the preciso, new. I opted for the Vario - I will receive it in the next few weeks.

I'll let you know then if I think I made the right choice!!

Meanwhile, I found a bottomless (naked) portafilter, and I've been trying to use it with my saeco aroma... What a mess! I think it's because my grind is too coarse AND my tamper is just a bit too small (it's 50mm, I think I'd need a 53mm).

Let's hope the Vario and a new tamper will make this portafilter usable - meanwhile, it's not just 1 nice flow like I can see on youtube :D

Michel
 View Profile Link to this post
microb

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012, 8:25am

Hi guys,

Received my Vario! Only thing is I'm wondering why the box says "Ceramic Burrs" but it looks like metal burrs...

I'll need to ask the seller I guess.

Nonetheless, I already see a difference against my previous Breville Grinder :) (positive difference)

Michel
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012, 8:36am

Check toward the bottom of the parts listed here. Which burr set do you have? If the burrs are, indeed, metal, they're designed for coarse grinding (and not for espresso).
microb

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012, 9:38am

wow thanks, that's a relief.

I was mistaking the burr holder with the burrs themselves. They do have that mat dark grey color - so I believe it's the ceramic ones.

thanks a thousand!

Michel
CN1

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 12:53pm

Nice choice with the Vario! I also have a Saeco Aroma and was considering upgrading the machine first. Went for a Vario instead (though I still plan on upgrading the machine at some point) and noticed a nice improvement in my shots. There's truth to what contributors on the forums here say about the grinder being the most important thing.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:33am

GlenM found an honest salesman, a rare breed these days. You have found something that works for your needs and you don't have a pressing need to upgrade until something dies.  The Vario is better if you want an espresso only grinder with flat burrs.  The grinder is the most important thing in your espresso set up.  The other grinders they sell have conical burrs and there are some taste differences with that.  But practically, I use my low in baratza grinder for drip and my vario for espresso.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Which Grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226925134659)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+