Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
How much do I spend to equal my hand grinder?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How much do I...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Jazzyguy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 4:54pm
Subject: How much do I spend to equal my hand grinder?

Hey guys,

I have a manual Zassenhaus hand grinder. I love the grind it delivers, I get beautiful pours but I want a motorized one now. I was looking at the Rancilio Rocky because I have the Rancilio Silvia and they look good together. Will the rocky at least equal my current grinder in grind quality?

I like the steps of the Rocky because I can easily switch the grind to press pot and back. However, are the steps close enough to each other on the Rocky in order to dial in a grind properly?  I now enjoy the freedoms of the stepless on the hand grinder. Will I miss much or does the Rocky have close enough steps where I won't miss the hand grinder?

OR do I need to spend more money?
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 5:56pm
Subject: Re: How much do I spend to equal my hand grinder?

The Rocky probably won't do as good a grind as the Zass. I know that my Dienes and My Leinbrock's Ideal are both way better than the Obel Jr. I have, which uses the same burr set as the Rocky. I intend, this weekend, to do a grinder shootout between my hand grinders and my newly acquired Gaggia MD85.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 6:32pm

My German made Zass does wonderful grinds for my espresso, but I always wonder the same thing as the OP.

I'm thinking a Vario would be equal or better than a good Zass.

The question I have is:  Will the LIDO or PHAROS be better than the Zass?

LMWDP # 010
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 12:27am

Your Zassenhaus is a stepless grinder, whereas the Rocky is a grinder that works for espresso but has relatively wide steps, so that you can get stuck in between two stettings for proper extraction. If you want an electric grinder to equal your hand grinder, you'll need to look for a stepless one like the Compak K3-Touch or Nuova Simonelli MCI, for example, or at least one with so many steps that it is virtually stepless like the Bratza Preciso or Vario, for instance.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Jazzyguy

Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 5:51am

The Bratza Preciso looks interesting. I like the small footprint. How would the grind quality of this one compare to my Zass hand grinder?
Jazzyguy

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 10:17am

UPDATE:

I purchased the Preciso. It's excellent. It definitely rivals the Zass, might even better it. The only negative about the Preciso is the amount of clumping. Other than that, I'm quite happy.
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 10:20am

Thanks for the update! How old is your Zass? I've heard not-so-great things about their more recent mills.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 10:38am

jbviau Said:

Thanks for the update! How old is your Zass? I've heard not-so-great things about their more recent mills.

Posted August 16, 2012 link

Yeh I've read a lot about Zaas not being good enough for espresso, seems a lot on HB don't like them or elsewhere. Maybe it's the old ones that are good?

Jazzy - are you grinding into the portafilter? I cut a small yogurt plastic can to fit the PF for WDT. But I've found the Preciso to be fairly good w/o WDT. It looks like it may be clumping but their pretty soft/fluffy clumps. I've tamped and pulled a shot w/o WDT and got no channeling or spritzs. Actually the couple times I've had issue with channeling or spritzs was only after WDT, go figure lol. Great grinder though, once you have a setting, pretty much just leave the macro and adjust the micro here and there for espresso. I love the low retention too and their clean, don't spray grinds everywhere. Mines on setting 6E right now.

Other great thing is we weigh and single dose, and the Preciso (and Vario) are excellent for that.
Jazzyguy

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 11:08am

CMIN Said:

Yeh I've read a lot about Zaas not being good enough for espresso, seems a lot on HB don't like them or elsewhere. Maybe it's the old ones that are good?

Jazzy - are you grinding into the portafilter? I cut a small yogurt plastic can to fit the PF for WDT. But I've found the Preciso to be fairly good w/o WDT. It looks like it may be clumping but their pretty soft/fluffy clumps. I've tamped and pulled a shot w/o WDT and got no channeling or spritzs. Actually the couple times I've had issue with channeling or spritzs was only after WDT, go figure lol. Great grinder though, once you have a setting, pretty much just leave the macro and adjust the micro here and there for espresso. I love the low retention too and their clean, don't spray grinds everywhere. Mines on setting 6E right now.

Other great thing is we weigh and single dose, and the Preciso (and Vario) are excellent for that.

Thanks for the info. I will try both and see what happens. As far as the the grind setting. I seem to be on 3 with the Macro and H on the Micro. Using fresh roasts (within 1 week). Is this typical or would I have to calibrate the grinder? I think I read the 10-12 setting is typical.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 11:26am

Jazzyguy Said:

Thanks for the info. I will try both and see what happens. As far as the the grind setting. I seem to be on 3 with the Macro and H on the Micro. Using fresh roasts (within 1 week). Is this typical or would I have to calibrate the grinder? I think I read the 10-12 setting is typical.

I've always saw 10-12 being typical online but I know two other owners and their all within my range as well. 10-12 = complete gushers for me. My calibration seems fine, so I chalk it up to each unit being slightly difference for calibration I guess. Long as your getting normal pours/shots then I wouldn't worry. You could always try re-calibrating and seeing what happens, as time goes on and grinder is broken in most seem to be under the 6 range, so if your at 3 brand new might want to try calibrating it again... but who knows lol
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > How much do I...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.287714004517)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+