Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
commercial grinder for home user
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > commercial...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 7:32am
Subject: commercial grinder for home user

I suppose this is just a rant, but if anyone knows of anything on the horizon, I would love to hear about it.

I would love to upgrade my grinder (Macap M4).  However, I want one that fits under a counter and looks nice in the home environment, while giving me a significant advantage over what I already have.  I've never seen the motors of any commercial grinder, such as the Compak K10 or the Mazzer Robur, but are they really so large that they can't be put into a smaller housing?  I know those companies aren't trying to sell those grinders to the home user, but with so many of us here and on HB, and then the innumerable enthusiasts that don't go to the forums at all, they should really consider it.

Well...just my $0.02

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 8:14am
Subject: Re: commercial grinder for home user

With commercial grinders, you're usually working in the 1/3 to 1/2 horsepower range for an electric motor, so, yes, they are that big, and commensurately heavy.

I think that living inside the bubble which is CG and coffee enthusiasts, it's easy to overestimate the size of the potential market for the type of "designer" grinder you're suggesting. Step outside for a moment and count the number of people around you who a) make espresso at home, b) aren't willing to settle for "good enough", c) are serious enough to invest in prosumer, much less pro gear, and d) have the resources and space to allow their passion free rein.

Yes, there are always going to be a number of people who will buy such a thing, but the professional market is so much larger than the enthusiast market that it would be very hard to make a business case to invest the R&D into such a project. Consider that total US sales of the Bezzerra Strega appears to be under 100 units. Would a designer grinder sell many more units that that, considering that it would be likely to be priced at a similar level?
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 9:13am

yeah, good points.  I realize it's not very realistic, but I sure wish.  If I had the space for a Robur or a Versalab, I'd probably have one already.  The cost is worth it, to me.

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 9:17am

George said everything I was going to, like he said, in our community there is a demand but in the coffee world at large, we represent such a small % of the market, it is not cost effective to go after us. In a business, size is not such an issue as the coffee bar is the "centerpiece" of the store and there is no limit to size by way of over head cabs etc.

High horsepower means large size case for the most part. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 9:24am

Well, maybe one day I'll raise my cabinets :)

zgold

Espresso: salvatore semi automatic,...
Grinder: mahlkonig k30, Pharos
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 9:56am

I have a mahlkonig k30 (flat burrs)  it's extremely quiet,
exceptionally fast and with the small hopper easily fits under most kitchen cabinets
it is not a small machine but it is well designed and enhances my countertop
Oh yes grinds wonderfully
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 8:39pm

I second the K30.  The body is very compact.  The hopper can be cut or replaced with the small one to allow it to fit under kitchen cabinets.  The grind is excellent.  The build is excellent as well.  It looks nice.

EDIT:  Concerning the size of commercial grinder - the motors are very large, but there is also the need for relays, capacitors, and wiring in there as well.  if it doesn't live under the motor, it has to live next to it, which increases the foot print.  We're talking about commercial units designed and manufactured for commercial environments. These aren't just the really expensive options for well healed home users.  There's no need to make a short height commercial grinder, especially a really high end one.  They are a key part of the heart of an espresso based business, they are the size they need to be.

I have always been impressed with the K30 because it's built in a totally different manner than the tall towers that come out of Italy.  It has a wide footprint because the caps and the electronics are arranged around the motor/burr chamber instead of under it.  That why the body can be so short.  However, it isn't the tank that Mazzers are, and thanks to the finicky/"precise" nature or its build I had a poorly packaged second hand K30 rip itself apart in the clumsy hands of UPS to the point that the repairs cost more than I paid for it (these weren't mechanical repairs either, just new body pieces).
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ssobers

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 2:30pm

If you get the K30, you wont be bitten by the upgrade bug for a very long time!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 5:04pm

I love my Macap M4s.  I got my first one, to replace a Rocky, while I still had my Silvia.  I noticed a huge difference in the cup.  My Rocky was dethroned to "the decaf grinder" until I got my Duetto...at which time I got my second M4 for decaf (we actually use both everyday in my house).

I'm wondering how noticeable the difference would be if I did indeed upgrade to the K30.  I think at this point the desire to upgrade really is just the bug, as I have nothing to complain about with my setup.  I'd be setting aside a little money each month for the next year or so to get the K30 (in order to satisfy the wife's desire to keep me from spending wildly).

TonyVan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 8:28pm

I also liked my Macap M4 very much - enough that when I upgraded to a big 68mm conical, I stayed with Macap and got an M7K.  This brought major, major improvements.  Big difference.

I hear great things about the K30 too and - let's say for sake of argument that the M7k and K30 produce quality in the same ballpark - if you go with either one you will indeed get immediately identifiable improvements in the cup.  

I did some serious modifications in the M7K to revise its feed/hopper setup for single dosing - in which it truly excels - and to fit under 15" cabinets, which it manages just well enough. As a dual-grinder person, you're evidently not a single-doser at the moment. You may want to consider it though, since it's extremely efficient when you use multiple coffees as you do, and also very consistent. Plus, of course, you need only one grinder and you can therefore afford one that's twice the cost of two lesser units. And it takes less space.

And you will always be using your "best" grinder. For the life of me, I can't figure out why so many people (and cafes) relegate decaf to a poor grinder - as your experience undoubtedly tells you, pulling a good decaf shot is usually trickier than with regular coffee, and using the best possible grinder pays off that much more in the quality of a decaf shot.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > commercial...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266582965851)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+