Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Help me pick a grinder?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help me pick a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 11:04am
Subject: Re: Help me pick a grinder?

yes, that's the one.

look at Baratza's page before you buy...

Click Here (www.baratza.com)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
FrankyD

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/Kyocera...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 11:10am

Saraluna Said:

This used preciso starts at $150...? Was this the one several of you suggested?

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

Posted August 6, 2012 link

Indeed, if you can get it for that price, it'd be a real steal. Even at 200, that's a steal in my opinion.

Whatever you do choose at this point, aside from hand grinding, will be infinitely better than a blade grinder. I got one myself a few days ago from Baratza's Refurbished section...it's so much nicer to be able to time my shots and steam milk. 400 some odd adjustable settings is pretty overwhelming as well.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 11:47am

Saraluna Said:

This used preciso starts at $150...? Was this the one several of you suggested?

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

Yes, obviously that's a bid auction, so it could get bidded up in price. But even the buy it now at 200 is a great deal. It has the updated burr set so it's not that old. Find out from the seller if it had any updates done, like the 2.0 gear box (which either they would install or if a newer version it came equipped), updated perm adjustment arm, updated burr carrier (think that's all off the top of my head?). You can also get the serial code from them and verify/check with Baratza.

The Infinity would be fine if you had a pressurized portafilter machine which you don't (those are generally the cheaper entry level machines), but the Preciso is on another level. Once you get the right setting for espresso, all you have to do really is adjust the micro arm here and there for different beans, or as the beans age over upcoming days (can tweak a bit finer and finer etc).

Make sure your giving ample (least 30+ minutes) time for your Silvia to warm up, and learn a bit on temp surfing, and your going to be pulling awesome shots vs before. Also very important, make sure your using fresh roasted beans, anything store bought is pretty much stale, and not only that but not cheap either, even Starbucks beans can run 14 bucks for a lb of stale beans, and in my grocery stores like Publix etc you end up paying 12-15 bucks for 12oz bags of stale beans. I have few roasters around me that only charge as low as 12-13 bucks for a pound of fresh roasted beans. Where do you live as others may be able to point out places by you where you can get some great beans fairly cheap, you can order online too but then you have shipping cost. Even if not a local roaster, you may have a good coffee shop near you that get's fresh roasted orders in and they will generally sell you some.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 11:50am

Saraluna Said:

I set out to make something better than I would get at a store, at home. Even with the blade grinder I've been doing that.

wow.  they must serve some horrible stuff.
Intrepid510

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 12:06pm

Yes the Encore is not going to be the greatest for espresso, but compared to your blade grinder I would take my chances with it.

Take a look at this post over at Prima Coffee Click Here (prima-coffee.com)

They are sellers so keep that in my mind they would probably never slam a product they carry, but they say it works. Obviously, if you are making lattes then well I don't think it matters too much if your shot is plus or minus 5 seconds, just make sure it doesnt channel and you'll be okay.

You can always post a WTB a lower end worm drive conical, and see if anyone bites until you bite the bullet on the Encore.

And I would take the Encore over the Infinity it has 40 settings compared to 16.

Less water, more grounds.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 1:22pm

For an extra $40 you can purchase the Baratza Encore. This grinder has 40 diff settings and I have seen it in action pulling good shots with a Rocket Giotto machine.  This one I think would be idea for light to medium use. I have heard that if you need to really dial down not to grind excessively.  Shots should be no problem tho. :)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Saraluna

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 2:39pm

CMIN - I will definitely inquire with the seller. I always warm the Silvia for a half hour minimum. I have heard about temp surfing, but I gather you need some sort of peripheral for it, so I haven't tried it myself. I always buy recently roasted whole beans, both online and from local roasters.

Emrad - I did look at Baratza's page after the preciso was first suggested. Thank you for sticking around :) This board has been nothing if not informative.
FrankyD

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/Kyocera...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 3:01pm

Saraluna Said:

CMIN - I will definitely inquire with the seller. I always warm the Silvia for a half hour minimum. I have heard about temp surfing, but I gather you need some sort of peripheral for it, so I haven't tried it myself. I always buy recently roasted whole beans, both online and from local roasters.

Emrad - I did look at Baratza's page after the preciso was first suggested. Thank you for sticking around :) This board has been nothing if not informative.

Temp surfing isn't as much the peripherals. It's more trying to figure out the temperature range at which the machine brews best; the water sitting in the boiler will cool over time until the low temperature triggers the thermostat to kick on the boiler. You just get more pleasing shots if you can find where the sweet spot is.

Sara, generally people seem to say you can't get your money's worth with something less than $100 and suggest to "up" your budget to get something better. While valid, I honestly don't think you can get much better than either used items, hand grinder, or sticking with the Encore vs the Infinity. That's probably how I would pursue it.

If you can get the Preciso off ebay for $200, it'll probably last you a long time. If not, the Encore ($85 refurb from Baratza) isn't a bad choice by any means for okay espresso. Anything is better than a blade grinder for coffee grinding.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 3:28pm

Saraluna Said:

I guess it depends on your idea of failure. I set out to make something better than I would get at a store, at home. Even with the blade grinder I've been doing that. I asked for a recommendation of an auto grinder that would be better than my blade grinder, in my price range. While I gather that this would not be up to the rigorous standards of people in this forum, I genuinely cannot afford something more expensive, and telling me to "up my budget" is not helpful, nor does it answer my question.

ANY burr grinder would apparently be better than the blade, correct? So my question is, is there one in my price range that this board would recommend?

Thank you to everyone who has suggested grinders and posted info. I am reading it all to try and come to a good decision.

With all due respect, you asked for advice, and I tried to give it to the best of my knowledge and ability. I cannot imagine how you're getting better results from a blade grinder and your Sylvia without temp surfing than you would get anywhere else, but I'm not going to argue taste, because that's not an objective enough argument.

So yes, any burr grinder is going to be better than your blade grinder. But there aren't any in your price range (under 100) that I would recommend. That was my answer to your question. I apologize if it came off as unhelpful, but I feel that it's unhelpful to tell you that you're going to get good results with anything under about $200, unless you get a really awesome deal. I'm sorry that that's not the answer you wanted, but that's the truth.

-Dave-
Saraluna

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 10:47am

That's the thing; taste is a subjective argument, and not one really worth having. Since making coffee is largely about taste, "good results" are rather subjective, too.

However, I'm grateful for the advice of everyone on this forum. I like being informed. I genuinely wish my budget was higher, but c'est la vie.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help me pick a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306689977646)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+