Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Help me pick a grinder?
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help me pick a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 2:23am
Subject: Re: Help me pick a grinder?

I think, too, that the best option on a tight budget is a capable hand grinder like the Hario Skerton, for example.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 8:47am

Saraluna Said:

Hi all!

I've been making espresso for about a year with the Rancilio Silvia, my first espresso machine. I've been using a blade grinder, and my birthday is coming up, so I thought I'd get a better one.

I'm looking for a nice automatic burr grinder, good for espresso, that is easy to clean and will efficiently deposit ground coffee right into my portofilter. I can't afford anything out of the $100 range. I was recommended the Capresso Infinity, but the reviews on here seem to suggest that the grind is not right for espresso. Any other suggestions?

thanks!

Posted August 3, 2012 link

how comes that no one is mentioning those nice conical burrs grinders in the 250$ range, like Lelit, Vanelli's. Ascaso, Iberital and a few more: stepless, conical burrs, electric, as I cannot envisage poor Sara going with hand grinder: Rancilio Silvia was a good choice but with blade grinder you must have been drinking everything but espresso, you would probably have been better off with a stove top Moka...
250 is probably not in your budget, but it is your birthday, so make it a special one, by the way Happy Birthday !!!!!!!!
Ciao, Pietro
Saraluna

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 8:47pm

So....I should stick with the blade grinder? ): A hand grinder is not really an option...
Saraluna

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 8:49pm

cappuccinoboy Said:

how comes that no one is mentioning those nice conical burrs grinders in the 250$ range, like Lelit, Vanelli's. Ascaso, Iberital and a few more: stepless, conical burrs, electric, as I cannot envisage poor Sara going with hand grinder: Rancilio Silvia was a good choice but with blade grinder you must have been drinking everything but espresso, you would probably have been better off with a stove top Moka...
250 is probably not in your budget, but it is your birthday, so make it a special one, by the way Happy Birthday !!!!!!!!
Ciao, Pietro

Posted August 4, 2012 link

Is there one in particular that would be ideal for Silvia? Maybe I can find a used one :/
FrankyD

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/Kyocera...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 9:01pm

Shameless plug, but there's someone posting a Baratza Preciso for 250 shipped(?) in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum. But that's beyond your budget.

If you don't mind refurbished units, Baratza has a program where they refurbish grinders returned to them and then post it on their website.

A Baratza Encore will probably do you well. They show up pretty frequently for under $100. But if you can stretch your budget a bit, it's only $129, brand new and highly rated.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 12:22am

FrankyD Said:

A Baratza Encore will probably do you well. They show up pretty frequently for under $100. But if you can stretch your budget a bit, it's only $129, brand new and highly rated.

Posted August 5, 2012 link

i wouldnt suggest an encore for anything beyond a pressurized portafilter.  they dont have the grind adjustability and i really wasnt impressed with the grind quality when i had it.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 6:05am

Kyle himself said on here before the Encore was released that it wasn't really designed for espresso...and I haven't seen one post on this board saying it's anything better than mediocre for espresso.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 7:19am

Yeah. I have the Encore, and you may be able to mod it to make it more espresso-capable, but out of the box it's not nearly consistent enough to be espresso-competent (capable, maybe, but it depends on what you mean by capable). It has a good amount of steps, but there aren't enough options in the espresso range to really be considered as a serious espresso option. It would be a HUGE compromise.

cappuccinoboy Said:

Ciao, Pietro

Posted August 4, 2012 link

These are cheaper options, but still out of your price range. And in that price range, you can get yourself a used SJ or the like, which would be significantly better and last years longer.

Saraluna Said:

So....I should stick with the blade grinder? ): A hand grinder is not really an option...

Posted August 5, 2012 link

Absolutely not. With a blade grinder, you're almost better off using preground. Almost. I'm not sure which is worse, but neither should be an option. The blade is WILDLY inconsistent, as it just chops instead of grinding. It also heats the grounds while chopping, which is also going to damage your final product.

I wish you the best on your search, but you're setting up an impossible scenario by saying that you want an espresso-capable grinder under $100 and will not use a hand grinder. You really just need to up your budget or use a hand grinder. You're using an alright espresso machine and trying to use the cheapest possible grinder. The Sylvia is known for being finicky, and you're setting yourself up for failure by pairing it with anything but a competent espresso grinder. The grinder is much more important than the machine, and you're giving it a back seat. You're really going to limit yourself to bad espresso by spending anything less than a couple hundred on a used grinder.

-Dave-
Saraluna

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 9:47am

I guess it depends on your idea of failure. I set out to make something better than I would get at a store, at home. Even with the blade grinder I've been doing that. I asked for a recommendation of an auto grinder that would be better than my blade grinder, in my price range. While I gather that this would not be up to the rigorous standards of people in this forum, I genuinely cannot afford something more expensive, and telling me to "up my budget" is not helpful, nor does it answer my question.

ANY burr grinder would apparently be better than the blade, correct? So my question is, is there one in my price range that this board would recommend?

Thank you to everyone who has suggested grinders and posted info. I am reading it all to try and come to a good decision.
Saraluna

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 9:59am

This used preciso starts at $150...? Was this the one several of you suggested?

Click Here (www.ebay.com)
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help me pick a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.321984052658)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+