Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 169 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 10:07am
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

I am not sure about making the adjustment, so I made a video of it this morning. I first ran it to empty any leftovers, and ran it until the macro was at the lowest point. Then I started the camera as I moved the micro knob as you can see. Currently, my coffee is coming out quick and its on Macro 1, Micro G/H (mid point).

As I moved the knob in the video, I would hear a small warble of the pitch and it would recover. I'm not sure what point in my video below is the sound I am looking for - if someone could help me out, I'll get the tool out and adjust it so that whatever sound you identify to me, is when the micro knob is at the middle.

Youtube
 View Profile Link to this post
tegee

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 12:30pm

Gig103 Said:

I am not sure about making the adjustment, so I made a video of it this morning. I first ran it to empty any leftovers, and ran it until the macro was at the lowest point. Then I started the camera as I moved the micro knob as you can see. Currently, my coffee is coming out quick and its on Macro 1, Micro G/H (mid point).

As I moved the knob in the video, I would hear a small warble of the pitch and it would recover. I'm not sure what point in my video below is the sound I am looking for - if someone could help me out, I'll get the tool out and adjust it so that whatever sound you identify to me, is when the micro knob is at the middle.

Youtube

Posted May 30, 2012 link

In my opinion you need to adjust your grind in a tad so you hear that "warble" as you called it at setting "M" on the micro side.  Just take your alien key and adjust it slightly tighter and you will be good to go.

At the end of the day, imho, letter selection up or down is simply a guide and unless you are off an entire "macro" setting (which you are not judging by your vid) you should be fine.

HTH
mojimbo

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 9:38pm

My one-month-old Vario-W won't grind with beans in the hopper.
It never seemed to like fine grinds, slowing down and finally quitting on any fine setting.  The problem slowly worsened.

Now I have to start it running empty, and hand-feed it beans a few at a time, or it chokes.
Once it chokes, I have to take off the hopper and top-burr and manually move the bottom burr, otherwise when I hit 'Start' it just sits with the blue-light glowing.

It's as if the motor got very weak.

This started the week after I got it from 1st In Coffee.  
I've recalibrated it several times, both micro and macro.
greekespresso
greekespresso

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 10:26pm

Looks pretty similar to the problem which has been reported previously in this thread from lemans23.
"Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread"
The best thing to do is to contact Baratza.

www.greekespresso.gr
mongatu

Espresso: Olympia Cremina (1985)
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Mini
Drip: Aeropress (for travel only)
Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 12:36pm

Gig103 Said:

Youtube

Posted May 30, 2012 link

If it was mine, I would want to calibrate it so the change in pitch occurs at approximately the midpoint of the micro lever with the macro setting on 2 (one click away from the finest setting).   But I never need to grind very coarse.
Gig103

Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 1:59pm

Thanks for the replies. Can anyone check out my video and tell me at what point is the right sound that *should* be at the middle of the micro scale? At 0:11, it starts to change pitch right at the middle, but at about 0:13 or 0:14 it starts to labor. Which is right? And does the fact that it's changing pitch on the same number okay? Such as WWWwwwwWWWwwwwww?

Same link as before

:)
scrutinizer

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Vario, Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Alpenrost, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jun 2, 2012, 8:27am

Gig103 Said:

Thanks for the replies. Can anyone check out my video and tell me at what point is the right sound that *should* be at the middle of the micro scale? At 0:11, it starts to change pitch right at the middle, but at about 0:13 or 0:14 it starts to labor. Which is right? And does the fact that it's changing pitch on the same number okay? Such as WWWwwwwWWWwwwwww?
:)

Posted May 31, 2012 link

I have set mine up based on the initial change in the pitch of the sound and that has worked fine for me (so at about 11 as you say).  If you need more "headroom" in the adjustment you can calibrate so the sound occurs at the 1/4 point up the scale instead of 1/2 etc.  The warble you noticed that is evident in the video does not appear normal at least relative to mine (which has constant motor pitch).  You could check your power (via volt meter or plug into different outlet) or try a thorough cleaning (vacuum cleaner from top and then bottom exit while running and working levers works for me as a quick/limited cleaning). You could also remove the top burr per  manual and verify the burr screws are not loose (you could have a rub causing the warble). If the warble remains you should probably contact Baratza to verify (new feature or problem?).  

FWIW, after over a year of use, I get the most consistent results with this grinder when it is used as a dedicated espresso grinder and when I fill the hopper and use the timer for dosing supplemented by a scale for weighing.  If you dial it in to get reasonable shot times but are getting spritzers try a click or two finer on the micro.  If you have changed nothing (same beans etc) and the grinder suddenly grinds coarser (much larger volume of grinds produced per time, visibly coarser, chaff flakes etc) try cleaning it first as it appears sometimes either coffee gets jammed into spaces that affect the grind setting or perhaps just moving parts somehow get stuck and cleaning helps to unstick them (in my experience this has occurred a small number of times but only when I have single dosed and/or ground coarser for drip...presumably these methods introduce additional variability into the operation that increases the potential for sticking at a grind that is coarser than the setpoint).  This is why I would only calibrate the grinder after it has been cleaned.  You will hear all kinds of other experiences and ultimately just need to settle on what works best for your specific conditions.      

Pat
Gig103

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2012, 6:32pm

Great information! This is my latest video where I can "nearly" choke the machine, but the warble still exists even before I touch the dial and at 'coarse' the whole Vario vibrates nastily. Youtube #2

I've cleaned it out and I'm going to try again later.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jun 2, 2012, 9:06pm

Gig103 Said:

Great information! This is my latest video where I can "nearly" choke the machine, but the warble still exists even before I touch the dial and at 'coarse' the whole Vario vibrates nastily. Youtube #2

I've cleaned it out and I'm going to try again later.

Posted June 2, 2012 link

Forgive me, but I don't understand your problem.
The Vario should sound like it's laboring with the Macro set all the way to the top, and the Micro raise about 1/3, and the higher you go, the more should be the sound of laboring.

Now lower your Macro 1 down, put your Micro 1/2 way up, and grind some fresh non oily beans.
The resultant grind should fee just a wee bit finer than sugar, and when pinched between your finger and thumb, there should be just a silght bit of "caking." Not total stickiness.
If that grind can't choke your Crossland, then it has a pressure problem.
If your grind feels like salt, then you need to calibrate finer...with a clean, empty grinder.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gig103

Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 11:40am

IMAWriter Said:

Forgive me, but I don't understand your problem.
The Vario should sound like it's laboring with the Macro set all the way to the top, and the Micro raise about 1/3, and the higher you go, the more should be the sound of laboring.

Now lower your Macro 1 down, put your Micro 1/2 way up, and grind some fresh non oily beans.
The resultant grind should fee just a wee bit finer than sugar, and when pinched between your finger and thumb, there should be just a silght bit of "caking." Not total stickiness.
If that grind can't choke your Crossland, then it has a pressure problem.
If your grind feels like salt, then you need to calibrate finer...with a clean, empty grinder.

Posted June 2, 2012 link

That's what I'm saying though - I can't choke my machine with the machine at its finest, given the calibration in my link and after a thorough cleaning.
showing page 169 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.342996120453)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+