Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Which grinder?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Which grinder?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
red4167

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 1:49pm
Subject: Which grinder?

I have been using a Nespresso machine for the last year. I have been happy with it but the espresso is not as good as that from a good cafe.

I have a cheap (about 60 new) delonghi bar-14 treviso machine that has been lying around for a while and has hardly been used. I thought that this might be able to produce a good espresso if paired with a good grinder. It has a 53mm non pressurised basket and is pump driven. I believe it also has a stainless steel boiler.

I have read many things about grinders and am not any closer to finding the right one for my situation.

From my own looking around there seemed to be three options; the Gaggia MDF, the Iberital MD2 and the Rancilio Rocky, which all seem to be of similar design. Of those three the Iberital seems to be the best (and cheepest).

However... I have been advised that the Baritza Preciso has the bare minimum in adjustment required to brew good espresso (it seems to have a lot of adjustment)... but it is more pricey (at three times the price of the Iberital)...

What is the bare minimum grinder required to brew a good espresso? Is the Rocky (and equivalent spec machines) not up to the job?

Bear in mind that the espresso machine that I currently own is dead cheap! The hope is that with sufficient adjustment in grind I can achieve a good extraction with it. While I understand the importance of a good grinder is it wise to blow the bank on a grinder while sticking with a bottom of the range machine?

Lots of questions in there... :) some advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)
 View Profile Link to this post
greekespresso
greekespresso

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:44am
Subject: Re: Which grinder?

Assuming that it has similar internals to Ascaso I-2 my vote goes to Iberital MC2 (I do not know if there is MD2), even without considering the price difference from the other two.
Click Here (www.iberital.com)
It can be found around 114.00 which is very good value for money.

www.greekespresso.gr
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:48am

There are two major requirements that an espresso grinder should meet: First of all, it must be able to grind fine enough for brewing espresso. Secondly, the fineness of grounds should be adjustable steplessly or at least in minuscule steps.

All of the three grinders you mentioned (I suppose it's the Iberital Challenge MC2 you mean) can work for brewing espresso. However, the steps of all of them are pretty wide (the Iberital having most steps), which can sometimes leave you stuck in between twoi steps for proper extraction. You can work around that problem by changing your dose, but that'll have an effect on taste.

If you can afford it, get the Preciso. With 400 settings it's virtually stepless.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
greekespresso
greekespresso

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:53am

NobbyR Said:

If you can afford it, get the Precisio.

Posted July 26, 2012 link

If the price is around or more than 300 pounds the preciso IMHO is too overpriced for me.

www.greekespresso.gr
greekespresso
greekespresso

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 1:01am

NobbyR Said:

... However, the steps of all of them are pretty wide (the Iberital having most steps),..

The MC2 is a stepless grinder
Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

www.greekespresso.gr
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 1:05am

greekespresso Said:

The MC2 is a stepless grinder ...

You're absolutely right. Sorry, I mixed that up. So, out of the three it's the MC2.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 1:42pm

red4167 Said:

Is the Rocky (and equivalent spec machines) not up to the job?

Posted July 25, 2012 link

Definitely not.  I've lost count of the recent threads where people have been strongly recommending that the person asking not get the Rocky.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 4:12pm

greekespresso Said:

The MC2 is a stepless grinder
Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

And probably a good one at that from what I have read.

Off topic - Christos, I sent a message to your email.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 4:27pm

Never heard of the MC2 but that thing seems like a bargain, especially with it being stepless, are people really paying less than $200 for it? How is it so cheap? Looks like the only faults I've read are that you need to constantly clean it as it retains a couple ounces of coffee.
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 8:24am

NobbyR Said:

There are two major requirements that an espresso grinder should meet: First of all, it must be able to grind fine enough for brewing espresso. Secondly, the fineness of grounds should be adjustable steplessly or at least in minuscule steps.

All of the three grinders you mentioned (I suppose it's the Iberital Challenge MC2 you mean) can work for brewing espresso. However, the steps of all of them are pretty wide (the Iberital having most steps), which can sometimes leave you stuck in between twoi steps for proper extraction. You can work around that problem by changing your dose, but that'll have an effect on taste.

If you can afford it, get the Preciso. With 400 settings it's virtually stepless.

Hi Nobby, the Iberital Challenge seems very much a stepless grinder, see that little knob at the base of the hopper, on the right top side of grinder ???, same or similar grinding mechanism like Lelit, Ascaso, Vanelli's , and a few more.
Also 400 settings is misleading because in one full rotation of burr mechanism, that is more than enough for any type of brewing, you get 360 degrees and no room for so many steps that you only achieve thanks to the micro-macro system. Mine is in no way an attempt to compare the grinders, just want to rectify your wrong statement
Ciao, Pietro
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Which grinder?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.348820924759)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+