Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Question for Mazzer owners
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Question for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Guy_Simpson

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 1:09am
Subject: Question for Mazzer owners

For those of you who own (or have used) a Mazzer doser model with timer: can the timer dial be set to grind enough for one shot and no more?

I've been offered a good deal on a Mini Doser Timer model, but want to find out if it features a 'minimum' grind time setting - so I'm not forced to grind more coffee than I need to. In an ideal world I'd go for a Mini Doserless E, but they're nearly 200 more (which I can't afford sadly).

Thanks for your help!

Guy
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 10:43am
Subject: Re: Question for Mazzer owners

Buy yourself a dark room timer for about $50 used then just use the timer on the grinder as an on/off switch. You will get VERY consistent volume of grounds this way. I ran my Mazzers that way for a long time until I upgraded my grinders.

The built in timer is not able to be adjusted to the degree need to control your ground volume, it's purpose was just to prevent the doser from over filling when grinding in volume.

A lot of dark room timers do not have enough ability to switch a motor on and off so you might need to use a relay that is turned on and off by the timer and the relay turns the grinder on and off. It is VERY easy to make this setup and once you have it, you will be able to set your grind time in 1/10 of a second... over and over again.

My personal feeling is that when used this way, the doser is a great value to you. I have a mod on this site the CBSJ mod, (search for it) to make the doser sweep very clean and when using the doser, you have the ability to grind your beans while using you PF in your machine to pull a shot or while doing something else. Multitasking at its best. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dyno

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore The Club/Oscar
Grinder: K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 2:39pm

Listened to these guys and got a Time-O-Lite M-72. Works great with the Mazzer Mini Timer.  It also has another plug-in that I run a Preciso off in my caf/decaf dual grinder setup.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 3:56pm

calblacksmith Said:

Buy yourself a dark room timer for about $50 used then just use the timer on the grinder as an on/off switch. You will get VERY consistent volume of grounds this way. I ran my Mazzers that way for a long time until I upgraded my grinders.

The built in timer is not able to be adjusted to the degree need to control your ground volume, it's purpose was just to prevent the doser from over filling when grinding in volume.

A lot of dark room timers do not have enough ability to switch a motor on and off so you might need to use a relay that is turned on and off by the timer and the relay turns the grinder on and off. It is VERY easy to make this setup and once you have it, you will be able to set your grind time in 1/10 of a second... over and over again.

My personal feeling is that when used this way, the doser is a great value to you. I have a mod on this site the CBSJ mod, (search for it) to make the doser sweep very clean and when using the doser, you have the ability to grind your beans while using you PF in your machine to pull a shot or while doing something else. Multitasking at its best. YMMV!

Posted July 22, 2012 link

Yes Yes to master Wayne you listen! Ok so i it is hard to channel Yoda and make it sound right:) in a forum.  I scale the way vast majority of my shots before and after and my major on dark room timer is spot on.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
Guy_Simpson

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 1:15pm

Thanks for all the replies. I had a chance to play around with a Mazzer SJ today and I'm coming to the conclusion that even the Mazzer mini will be overkill for my requirements. I like the idea of modding the timer though, simple yet clever solution.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 4:56am

When it comes to grinders for espresso, there is no such thing as OVERKILL, the MINI is a solid built grinder but it is NOT overkill, rather it is on the lower end of the scale for very good to great espresso. YMMV!!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:41pm

Guy_Simpson Said:

I had a chance to play around with a Mazzer SJ today and I'm coming to the conclusion that even the Mazzer mini will be overkill for my requirements.

Posted July 24, 2012 link

In what way(s)?  My SJ certainly isn't overkill in terms of what ends up in the cup.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Question for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266731977463)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+