Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Does anybody know the new Breville BCG800 (Smart Grinder)?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Does anybody...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 15 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cybermaniac

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2011, 1:12am
Subject: Re: Does anybody know the new Breville BCG800 (Smart Grinder)?

Yea, I've personally decided to go for the Rocky.

I didn't want to faff around with step down converters (I live in the UK, so for me it would mean extra space and size). Shame really, looked to be a fantastic grinder.
 View Profile Link to this post
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: HG-One, baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Fri Dec 30, 2011, 9:15am

i'm a little shocked that nobody has done a thorough review of this grinder.  all we have is anecdotal reviews from those of us that have them.  as such, in the end, at the tip of the spear, this grinder looks about the same as the conical-burr baratza's, (iow, NOT the vario), and appears to be no better an espresso grinder than they are.  if you shim up the Breville or mod your solis/baratza to grind fine enough for espresso, it comes out clumpy, and you have to WDT, (not the worst thing in the world, but still).

this is my standing impression of the Breville Smart Grinder until somebody does some detailed testing.  

in it's favor, it appears that it IS an electronic doser.  but that still leaves the question as to how repeatable it is.  IOW, if you fiddle with it until you get a weight you want, say, 17g, will that setting remain repeatable, to within say, half a gram?

i was just about to pull the trigger on a La Spaz Vivaldi II when WS slung out the recent 30% off sale and i snatched up a Breville Dual Boiler instead.  The plan is, to still get a Vivaldi II later after the checkbook recovers from Christmas and such.  I would pair my Vario with the Vivaldi II.  But it would be nice to pair the BDB with a Breville Smart Grinder in the family vacation home just for that coordinated look, but not if the SG can't do any better for espresso than my modded solis/baratza 166's (I have 3 of them).

-peter
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012, 7:27pm

Has anyone had any success with this grinder with espresso?  The recent youtube video from seattlecoffeegear recommends it and says Breville has upgraded the burrs since the video was shot.  Additionally, there is no need to shim it now.

It's $200 on Amazon which might fit my price range.
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: HG-One, baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012, 8:11pm

if its all that new, then you might be out of luck until or unless the powers at HB put it through the wringer.  In my experience, grinders with this burr design either do, or can be made to, grind fine enough for espresso.  And when this burr design is made to grind this fine, it has had a tendency to come out clumpy.  The perfectionist barista does not abide clumps.  fortunately  there are things we can do, like the WDT, to smooth out the clumps.  Then again, maybe v2.0 of this grinder will be one of the first to banish the clumps?

then again, some experienced home baristas on other forums are not too bothered by clumps.  so maybe im overreacting by not liking clumpy espresso grinds,

-peter
cybermaniac

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012, 1:24am

dagoat Said:

if its all that new, then you might be out of luck until or unless the powers at HB put it through the wringer.  In my experience, grinders with this burr design either do, or can be made to, grind fine enough for espresso.  And when this burr design is made to grind this fine, it has had a tendency to come out clumpy.  The perfectionist barista does not abide clumps.  fortunately  there are things we can do, like the WDT, to smooth out the clumps.  Then again, maybe v2.0 of this grinder will be one of the first to banish the clumps?

then again, some experienced home baristas on other forums are not too bothered by clumps.  so maybe im overreacting by not liking clumpy espresso grinds,

-peter

Posted January 16, 2012 link

Hey Peter,

What do you mean by WDT? (Getting clumps on my Rocky, so interesting to see if there are things one can do!)

Many thanks!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012, 7:00am

WDT = Weiss Distribution Technique

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
buzzkizzal

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012, 12:04pm

I have both the BCG800 and the BDB machine.  I'm a beginner so I'm probably not qualified to do a review but in my three months of ownership it seems to be repeatable (to the gram) and I have absolutely no clumping on any of the 10 or so different blends I've tried.  The first one I bought didn't grind fine enough for espresso so I thought I had one with the shim issue. Breville said that my lot# grinder didn't need the shims but went ahead and replaced it.  The second one works great and, if I set it within a few ticks of the finest setting will choke my machine.
jlib

Espresso: BES900XL Double Boiler
Grinder: BCG800 Smart Grinder
Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012, 2:05am

I have had the Breville BCG800 for about 6 months and it has been a joy to use.  Mine is the later version that did not need shims for espresso grind. I did discover one shortcoming that may be important to some.  I tried a Guatemalan Hacienda Carmona Bourbón and Typíca blend from a well regarded San Francisco artisan roaster that was very obviously under-roasted.  These hard, high-altitude beans stopped the BCG800 in its tracks.  So much so I thought for sure there were rocks in the mix but I carefully reviewed each bean and it was clean.  The symptom is a clicking ratcheting sound not unlike an electric screwdriver/drill exceeding its dialed in clutch torque limit, which I suppose is better than having the motor burn out after seizing up.  

So, although the BCG800 is conspicuously better designed from a feature and user interface standpoint than any other grinder in its class and many beyond its class, it is clear that the price point was acheived by skimping on the motor.  Even opening up to a course grind was futile.   I had to resort to a bladed spice grinder to grind those beans.  Since that is not a style of bean I will ever try again I have not had any further problems and for my simple needs it is still a near perfect grinder.  But it is a consumer commodity product, not a serious aficionado machine. I would have preferred to pay more for a higher quality machine that has its unique feature set.
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012, 5:11am

My first grinder was a Breville Smart. I used it for 6 months grinding all roast levels. I had read of some users getting stalls while grinding light roasts. I spoke to a customer service rep about it and he shared that there is a safety feature that stops the motor if a hard object gets into the burrs. Unfortunately, there is some variance in the amount of pressure that the burrs can experience so some o the units struggled more than others at light roasts.

I never had an issue with mine and used it for all types of grinding. It was a fantastic and capable first grinder.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012, 9:30am

Owned one previously and loved it, excellent grinder for the money. You can still shim the newer updated burr models to have more espresso grinding range. Plus it looks awesome and is so easy to adjust, hopper setup is cool to as only much more expensive machines have a similar removable hopper. I hope Breville comes out with a new version that competes more into the espresso range as far as adjustment like the Preciso or Various etc, stronger motor etc.
showing page 15 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Does anybody...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269512891769)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+