Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 172 of 199 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
greekespresso
greekespresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 9:13pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

Macro one notch down from top (it has been "glued" there for more than a year) and micro 3-10 clicks from top. I use always freshly roasted and never oily/dark roasted beans.

www.greekespresso.gr
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 9:29pm

greekespresso Said:

Macro one notch down from top (it has been "glued" there for more than a year) and micro 3-10 clicks from top. I use always freshly roasted and never oily/dark roasted beans.

Posted September 13, 2012 link

Hey Christos!
Miss seeing your posts.
Hope all is going well for you.
Glued!!! LOL
Similar to my experience. For whatever reason, no matter what coffee/blend I switch to and from, I rarely have to move the micro more than 4-5 notches at MOST, and never the Macro.

Maybe it's cause we mostly use beans that are roasted to a similar state? (City+/FC, etc)

What I mean is I normally roast all my non espresso coffee somewhere between city+ and full city, never to 2nd crack, unless by accident. A couple of 2nd snaps, no tragedy.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
greekespresso
greekespresso

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 10:58pm

Hi Rob,
Very kind of you for asking. I am doing so good nowadays in Greece so to even consider to post here in GC “a Greek guy, university degree holder, at the verge of aging/stalling!!! seeks to find job as a sub trainee roaster everywhere in States” LOL

I am following CG very regularly and was tempted to participate in this thread:
"ESPRESSO GRINDER FOR REUSABLE NESPRESSO CAPSULES"
but  decided not to as I did not want to cause havoc with my bad English. LOL

I cannot be certain for the degree of roast but my beans are specialty coffee from one of the most reputable roasters here in Greece (SCAA, SCAE member, WBC sponsor) so I assume they must be FC at the most.

I hope everything has been going well for you
Christos

PS Still giving a fight for the presence of a coffee grinder in every Greek home.

www.greekespresso.gr
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 7:01am

greekespresso Said:

I am following CG very regularly and was tempted to participate in this thread:
"ESPRESSO GRINDER FOR REUSABLE NESPRESSO CAPSULES"
but  decided not to as I did not want to cause havoc with my bad English. LOL

I cannot be certain for the degree of roast but my beans are specialty coffee from one of the most reputable roasters here in Greece (SCAA, SCAE member, WBC sponsor) so I assume they must be FC at the most.

I hope everything has been going well for you
Christos

PS Still giving a fight for the presence of a coffee grinder in every Greek home.

Posted September 13, 2012 link

Christos, I can ASSURE you you speak English MUCH better than I speak Greek, even with the several friends I have in the very large Greek community here in Nashville, TN USA. I'm still working on "Avgolemono!"

BTW, I also refrained from posting in the same thread.

My Vario-W is performing like a champion. Not sure why, but, it gives me a slightly brighter shot than did my regular Vario. I like it. Sort of a cross between the brighter shot from the conical Preciso and the regular Vario. Great for my lever.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bxntns

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 5:19pm

I recently purchased a Baratza Vario. I ran a test to assess the consistency of the Vario's time based dosing.

I set the first time setting for 10 seconds and set the adjustment levers to a fine drip setting. After repeating the test 10 times I recorded the following results (in grams):

19.25  19.61
19.48  19.91
19.26  19.61
19.95  19.38
19.42  19.75

One thing I found interesting was how the capacity of the bean hopper did not correlate to grams ground. The difference between the first measurement (full hopper) and the last measurement (almost empty hopper) was negligible.  

Tomorrow I'm going to test other variables like fineness of the grind, type of bean, etc.
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: HG-One, baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 7:50pm

the biggest spread i see in your results is seven tenths of a gram.  when i weigh out my espresso shots, i allow one tenth of a gram--max--and only if i'm in a hurry.  i have a vario, but i don't use the timer, and for the very reasons you verified in your test.  by the way, thanks for taking the time to perform this test and run it out to 10 samples.  when i did it, i just did two or three, and as soon as i saw it could vary by +/- 1g, i decided i was going to have to weigh every shot, every time.

-peter
greekespresso
greekespresso

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 11:16pm

These were my crude measurements for espresso grind in the past. I would like to point out their practical significance because they were taken at different dates. To be honest, I do not think that other grinders can have better performance in time dosing to that of the Vario which performs really well.

"Re: Quick test on Vario timer"

Personally, I have the hopper always empty, put a weighted amount of beans and weigh all my shots, so I do not really use the timer.

offtopic
@Rob
If you like avgolemono you should ask the Greek friends of yours to prepare for you the following dish:
http://www.barbastathis.com/index.asp?a_id=57&rec_id=103
beef mince with rice wrapped inside cabbage leafs and dressed with avgolemono. If properly done, it is a delicious winter meal (according to my taste anyway).

www.greekespresso.gr
mrelephant

Espresso: Breville 800
Grinder: KItchen Aid
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 2:41am

espressoaddict Said:

You need a 2 mm allen wrench or 2 mm bit.  

Posted January 9, 2010 link

Dummies, proceed with caution!
On my 2 month old (Great Britain) Vario, there is a warranty void sticker disguising the hole for the adjustment screw. So at first I assumed the adjustment screw must have been under the rubber cap just behind it. There is indeed another hex screw in there which is 2.5mm and wound tight. So in my stubbornness, the hex hole in this screw is now burred because I tried to force tighten it further :P  Fortunately though, I didn't seem to damage the function of the machine.

It was only after referring to this seattle coffee video that I figured out my mistake. It also made be a bit miffed that the US model seems to actually come (or came) with a fancy adjustment allen key and obviously no warranty void warning, so I took a chance and removed the warranty void sticker on mine, rather than drive across town for my service centre to turn a screw. Let's just hope my stubbornness doesn't slap me in the face one more time here :P

BTW, she's now grinding rather nice :)
Intrepid510

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 9:39pm

Hey guys, do you ever run into the problem of not being able to grind fine enough for light roasts? I am thinking of getting a Vario, but I am a little uneasy since there are some light roasts that my Preciso just cant grind fine enough even when up dosing. Current problem roast is Primes from Ritual.

Less water, more grounds.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 1:03pm

FWIW, the coffees I use are generally FC/FC+, and I haven't had any problems . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 172 of 199 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.365779161453)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+